• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v South Africa - 26/11/2022 - KO 4.30 GMT

I think this is the first Eddie squad announcement for AIs that actually lifted my spirits about the upcoming game. Seeing someone playing well at 6 actually starting at 6, Freeman on the wing, JVP given another go. (I am choosing to ignore the Mako starting choice and Willis missing). So inevitably this will result in a disappointing loss and show I know nothing about rugby!

Glad Eddie hasn't dropped JvP like he usually does with crap performances suggests he rates him a lot.

Dangerous bench but boy does it suck having Major start but who else is there?

I don't hate the starting 15. Mako starting is an odd one starting against arguably the strongest scrummaging tight 5 in world rugby. Itoje not at 6 is good. Billy needs a rocket. Nowell was poor last week so glad to see Freeman start, still question the missed opportunity to give A N Other a run on the wing given where the autumn campaign started with May injured/lacking game time. Was Cokanasiga/Nowell Eddie's preferred pairing I wonder.

Manu needs a game or hook him early for Slade who's been good off the bench. Should be a good game interested to see how SA approach this and if and how much they'll want to kick to the Eng back 3.

I'm also really glad to see JvP hasn't been dropped and gets antoehr crack at starting.

Willis dropping kinda makes sense now imo

Cole's is more a 6 with saints atm, Eddie clearly going head to head with the boos style.

Simmonds prob offers a bit more loose work than Willis from the bench

I... like that.
Playing Mako is... the only decision I can disagree with.

Even the lack of Jack is... fine, given Coles starting and Simmonds on the bench

Last edited:
SA might just keep knocking on intentionally with mako in the scrum, easy penalties. Plus England love to contest every scrum even when getting marched backwards, we simply refuse to get the damn thing in and out before we concede a penalty.

If Farrell and Mako weren't starting (lets say replaced by George and Slade) and I'd actually be happy with that. 13 out of 15 I approve of which is the highest in a while. I'd always have Willis involved though.

So what was the Itoje at 6 nonsense all about in the first couple of games? I don't really buy the RWC contingency stuff, but if I did I'd want to see if he could cut it against the ABs and Boks, not flipping Japan.

Mako is nonsensical. He's either fit in which case he should bench. Or he's not in which case he shouldn't be involved. Genge, arguably the best LH about at the moment potentially gets to play a bit part against the biggest, most scrum obsessed pack around?

Otherwise OK. Big ask for Coles though. I get the fight fire with fire stuff, but Willis at 6 would have posed more questions to the Boks and been plenty physical enough. But the line out is God.

If Mako can gain some kind of parity on his side with Maro pushing behind him then I can see the sense of him being picked to start. But otherwise it looks like a decent line up and also bench.

It's been a pretty mediocre autumn so far. Perceptions of the series hang on this game, but it would at least be mildly positive to go into the 6N having avoided defeat by both the ABs and Boks.

It's not just the prop though but who is pushing behind.
In situations like Mako's I'd say that this isn't really the case. If a scrum is getting shoved backwards then yes, some blame has to be put on the locks but if the prop is just getting crumpled up and dropped to the floor then that rests solely on them. And that's what tends to happen to Mako.

We'll see. I am just hoping Mako can get to some parity. I am aware of his scrum struggles since first watching him play.

We'll see. I am just hoping Mako can get to some parity. I am aware of his scrum struggles since first watching him play.
Unlikely.

It's just a bizarre selection, whichever way you look at it. Starting Genge and bringing on Rodd would have made more sense in my universe. Mako's fitness is questionable as is his scrummaging. And if the RWC is all that matters, we know exactly what he can do, so surely better to give Rodd a run.

i agree start Genge then bring Rodd on.

if they're wanting to counter the SA subs front row then have Genge on the bench with LCD and have Rodd starting.

Hasnt Rodd already started v SA and done fine? Ill need to check the previous games.
Edit - Last year him and Blamire started...

I imagine Rodd is staying with the squad as the travelling reserve, as well, so misses out on game time this weekend for Sale too 😤

i agree start Genge then bring Rodd on.

if they're wanting to counter the SA subs front row then have Genge on the bench with LCD and have Rodd starting.

Hasnt Rodd already started v SA and done fine? Ill need to check the previous games.

Yeah, he started last Autumn - there were some dicey looking scrums, and plenty of route one "get it out asap" hooks but I don't think he conceded any penalties, which is a victory in itself considering who he was up against

That was a pretty weird side we put out that day,

1. Rodd, 2. Blamire, 8. Curry, 14. Marchant,
6:2 bench, Dolly and Quirke involved

Latest posts