• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v South Africa

It was Wales ;)

That was the first match in a long time where he performed well though

Just watched the game in full for the first time. Gotta say that from an Australian perspective it was an interesting game. Given how much England always seem to make so much of their forward power they looked really outclassed and second rate the entire game when confronted with what was clearly a ****** off Springbok pack. Nevertheless, with the incredible dominance that the pack gave through their utter demolition of England's forwards, you couldn't help but think that their handling really let them down and was the only thing that kept the score so respectable.

All in all, the boks probably should have won it by 30.

I just can't believe that I called it; England played like SA and lost because of it. It is sad, but good, they have shown a lot of improvement but Johno is right that there is still work to be done. Say what you will about the man, but even after that huge win against Oz, he never once said that they were ready for the RWC or finished implementing everything in their plan. He never gave the fans or media reason to think that England was a contender.<O:p</O:p

Throughout the entire 2009 Lions tour, as well as last years AI's, and this years Tri-Nations.

Sorry, you'll have to dig up the threads and point us there. I have no memories of this.

I remember pretty much every man and his dog slagging off Spies during the 3N, but that was because of the form change - from one of the top no.8s in the world, to being non-existant on the pitch

That'll explain it then. I didn't think I could recall anything from last year or the Lions!

When has anyone ever described Spies as useless?

Throughout the entire 2009 Lions tour, as well as last years AI's, and this years Tri-Nations.

Spies useless???...no truth to that at all. He's just having a form slump but so is his team.

Sorry, you'll have to dig up the threads and point us there. I have no memories of this.

I remember pretty much every man and his dog slagging off Spies during the 3N, but that was because of the form change - from one of the top no.8s in the world, to being non-existant on the pitch

Agreed.

Spies was performing very poorly in the Tri Nations and actually during the end of the Super14 season. Just a period off form, just like Habana. Good thing is that Spies' bad period seems to be over while Habana still struggles

Which SA backrow was said to be really fast and strong, but couldn't play rugby?

Happyand somewhat surprised although when it became clear that we weren't going to simply give the ball to the opposition the whole time I knew it was on the cards (just hope PdV has taken note) although we were REALLLLY poor in putting a game away that should have been over long before the end whistle. Hope having a rest and getting some starters back will do the trick for us.

As for England, I was very impressed with Lawes; pretty athletic lock reading the game well. Stopped 2 tries for us. Fourie had a good game as well; the only guy that actually had any physical presence if that was what Eng were going for (kinda looked like it). Otherwise difficult to comment.

As good as Lawes is, and he is a future star lock in my opinion, the fact that the Springboks won all 19 line outs, really means England have something to work on.

clearly lawes has some bame on that front, but that's mainly palmer's job. and it doesn't help losing croft either, since he's a key jumper in the lineouts.

As above, Lawes is more the enforcer of the two, with Palmer the lineout guy,
At the end of the day, when you're up against Matfield, you're never going to have an easy day the lineout, however those stats aren't pretty, but England completely underperformed (or were just outclassed) in the setpiece all day

Latest posts