• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Argentina - 06/11/22

So ...team lineup to be named likely to be...

1.Genge
2.LCD
3.Sinkler
4.Itoje
5.Hill
6.Willis
7.Curry
8.Billy

9. Youngs
10. Smith
11. Nowell
12. Farrell
13. Manu
14. Cokasaniga
15. Steward

1.Genge
2.LCD
3.Sinkler
4.Itoje
5.Hill
6.Willis
7.Curry
8.Billy

9. Youngs
10. Smith
11. Nowell
12. Farrell
13. Manu
14. Cokasaniga
15. Steward
Times speculating on exactly this with the exception of Coles starting at 6.

1.Genge
2.LCD
3.Sinkler
4.Itoje
5.Hill
6.Willis
7.Curry
8.Billy

9. Youngs
10. Smith
11. Nowell
12. Farrell
13. Manu
14. Cokasaniga
15. Steward
So if this were the 15 its strong yet also not a very agile back line to defend the Argentinian attack.

Yeah that's got to be our slowest backline in ages,
Argentinians will run rings around Cokanasiga, who has a turning circle similar to Matt Banahan, and Nowell who has the acceleration of...well, Matt Banahan

Plus:
Farrell - got badly knocked out in his last game, realistically shouldn't be playing for a while yet
Nowell - possibly the most injured player in the league
Manu - no wait he's possibly the most injured player in the league
Cokanasiga - no wait he's possibly the most injured player in the league

Hopefully we don't have weather like yesterday, this weekend, cause I feel like a strong breeze could put our backline in hospital

So if this were the 15 its strong yet also not a very agile back line to defend the Argentinian attack.
Well it'll be interesting...having been lucky to have Moroni, Orlando and Carreras at the falcons...i think they are terrific players. They will keep the England team lively...and will be rock solid in defence.

I know Carerras has a bad rep for what he did...but on ability hes top class...small stature but powerful, agile and fast! He will cause problems if given a chance.

Argentinians will run rings around Cokanasiga, who has a turning circle similar to Matt Banahan, and Nowell who has the acceleration of...well, Matt Banahan
And Manu and Faz and while a grest player Steward isnt know for his agility.

Plus:
Farrell - got badly knocked out in his last game, realistically shouldn't be playing for a while yet
Nowell - possibly the most injured player in the league
Manu - no wait he's possibly the most injured player in the league
Cokanasiga - no wait he's possibly the most injured player in the league

Hopefully we don't have weather like yesterday, this weekend, cause I feel like a strong breeze could put our backline in hospital
Don't fret, we'll have Jonny May and his superhuman powers of recovery on the bench.

2019 flashbacks though to Eddie's bullying fantasy of Binny, Manu and Coka. The game's moved on, all are injury prone and none have really lived up to the hype.

Smith should don his flak jacket. The 10 gets the attention but slow ball from Youngs and slow motion predictability outside isn't a good combination.

Farrell is still only just finishing his concussion protocol aswell isnt he?

That looks a really poor team in general. Just nothing that scares anyone anymore. I think we will win but there is a little fear we might get a rude awakening!

Honestly you're being a proper **** to Matt Banahan

Fredie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 13 caps)
14. Jack Nowell (VC) (Exeter Chiefs, 42 caps)
13. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 46 caps)
12. Owen Farrell (C) (Saracens, 97 caps)
11. Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 13 caps)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 117 caps)
1. Ellis Genge (VC) (Bristol Bears, 39 caps)
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 37 caps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 52 caps)
4. Alex Coles (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
5. Jonny Hill (Sale Sharks, 15 caps)
6. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 58 caps)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 41 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 64 caps)

Finishers

16. Jack Singleton (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 70 caps)
18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps)
19. David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
20. Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 14 caps)
21. Jack Willis (unattached, 4 caps)
22. Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 3 caps)
23. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 48 caps

Meh,
I mean it's about as good as you can get from the players selected but it doesn't spark joy
I like the backrow with Itoje there, but I'm not that keen on Coles tbh - fine club player but nothing screams international. Will do a job, though
Backline is (to steal a word from @TommiG88 ) turgid - no excitement/entertainment to be found here. Marchant missing out for heavily concussed Farrell and Tuilagi who has single digit carries this season is an insult tbh

Honestly not sure on what the result will be - we've not lost to Argentina in a long time, but are in poor form and are any of these players in good enough form to really put the fear of God into anyone?
I think it'll be close, hopefully with the home ground effect being enough for us to sneak it

Argentina were actually training at Carrington with Sale last week, so hopefully we've snuck the footage to Hill/Curry to learn the lineout calls

The Pumas pack will be tough but it's not as fearsome as it used to be. Given that and half our backs are A&E season ticket holders, why 6:2? Mad. Expect JvP on a wing and Simmonds in the centre.

Coles is obviously flavour of the month based on his form at 6, so he gets picked at 4. Itoje who I've been a broken record about for 6 goes there for the first time in a while - maybe they'll mix and match. But either way I'd still have preferred Willis.

Best I can say is that I approve of our locks both being 2m+.

And on the bench we've got the wonky Singleton, the non scrummaging Mako and the not good enough for original squad Slade.

We probably still ought to win, but the Pumas should be scenting a kill.

Latest posts