• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Australia (13/11)

So vs SA what will we go with? Curry at 8 vs SA? That same back row wont go well vs SA, same with Manu on the wing.

So i want to see
Genge George Sinks
Itoje Lawes(C)
Curry Dombrandt(8) Underhill
Youngs Smith
Manu Slade
May Steward Malins

Dount we will though.

I'm hopeful that as it's SA we will see a more sensible team selection but I won't hold my breath. I thought Slade was poor yesterday so move Manu back to the centre alongside the untouchable Farrell and bring in a proper winger hopefully. Get Curry back on the flank alongside Underhill and play Dombrandt at 8.

The scoreline flatters us.
Not really. We were mostly rubbish, but if anything the scoreline flattered Australia.

Even if Blamire's try was a gift, George should have scored and Australia did very little for their points.

There were positives to take away though. Smith didn't look overawed and was good when he got a bit of service. I thought Rodd did well. Held his own in the scrum and looked lively and Hill had probably his best game for England (low bar admittedly).

Slade continued his pattern of good game followed by bad game. I thought he was terrible yesterday - he played like a teenager with no sense of space or running lines. He's almost guaranteed to play vs. SA, but I'd much prefer to see Marchant.

Farrell isn't the type to hobble off unless he really needs to so I suspect he's done something reasonably serious.

Not really. We were mostly rubbish, but if anything the scoreline flattered Australia.

Even if Blamire's try was a gift, George should have scored and Australia did very little for their points.

There were positives to take away though. Smith didn't look overawed and was good when he got a bit of service. I thought Rodd did well. Held his own in the scrum and looked lively and Hill had probably his best game for England (low bar admittedly).

Slade continued his pattern of good game followed by bad game. I thought he was terrible yesterday - he played like a teenager with no sense of space or running lines. He's almost guaranteed to play vs. SA, but I'd much prefer to see Marchant.

Farrell isn't the type to hobble off unless he really needs to so I suspect he's done something reasonably serious.

I wouldn't wish injury on anyone but if Farrell is out at least it forces Jones's hand somewhat.

So vs SA what will we go with? Curry at 8 vs SA? That same back row wont go well vs SA, same with Manu on the wing.

So i want to see
Genge George Sinks
Itoje Lawes(C)
Curry Dombrandt(8) Underhill
Youngs Smith
Manu Slade
May Steward Malins

Dount we will though.
I think Genge has been confirmed as missing SA so think hoping for Marler back is our best bet. Personally I'd like to see:
Marler, George, Sinckler
Itoje, Hill
Lawes, Dombrandt, Curry
Youngs, Smith
Tuilagi, Slade
May, Steward, Radwan

I want to see some proper balance in the backrow, also I think Smith and Radwan work well together with Smith recognising mismatches and Radwan being able to exploit them.

I don't read The Guardian much but after accusing Smith of kicking too much, I assume that was standard type for every rating of Farrell and Youngs?

I think Genge has been confirmed as missing SA so think hoping for Marler back is our best bet. Personally I'd like to see:
Marler, George, Sinckler
Itoje, Hill
Lawes, Dombrandt, Curry
Youngs, Smith
Tuilagi, Slade
May, Steward, Radwan

I want to see some proper balance in the backrow, also I think Smith and Radwan work well together with Smith recognising mismatches and Radwan being able to exploit them.
Radwan looks quite powerful and could offer that gainline threat of a big winger.

I don't read The Guardian much but after accusing Smith of kicking too much, I assume that was standard type for every rating of Farrell and Youngs?
Yeah it seems ridiculous to level that criticism at Smith but not Farrell or Youngs.

Big?? He's 5'10 and 13st. Diminutive by club standards nowadays. More Shane Williams than Ben Cohen.

TBF he said he could offer the threat not that he is one.

He's big enough that you add his sheer explosive power you would back him to make the first tackler miss 9/10 times like any big winger

Radwan has more in common with Kolbe or Matsushima than he does with a 'big winger'. None of them are big, but all have a low centre of gravity and great footwork which often makes them very hard to bring down. That's definitely not the same as having a big winger like van der Merwe or Tuisova type.

The press will be screaming for Simmonds to start next week now

Not trying to be too dismissive of him but they're saying "instant impact" - Australia literally passed him the ball, then he ran in a straight line and passed?
That's unqualified genius in anyone's book surely?!

I'm hopeful that as it's SA we will see a more sensible team selection but I won't hold my breath. I thought Slade was poor yesterday so move Manu back to the centre alongside the untouchable Farrell and bring in a proper winger hopefully. Get Curry back on the flank alongside Underhill and play Dombrandt at 8.
Bit harsh on Lawes but basically agree

Radwan has more in common with Kolbe or Matsushima than he does with a 'big winger'. None of them are big, but all have a low centre of gravity and great footwork which often makes them very hard to bring down. That's definitely not the same as having a big winger like van der Merwe or Tuisova type.
And with Steward at 15, do we really need a big winger? He is pretty large. Just checked wiki, which may not be entirely reliable but it has Steward being taller and heavier than DvdM.

I agree that Slade didn't look much but the I think that he was set up to fail. His main pluses are his distribution and his arcing runs creating space for others. However with Farrell and Smith both also distributors inside him and no-one to fix the inside defender he was never going to have the space outside to work with.
He looked at his best last week with Manu inside and switching up the first receiver role with Smith, that is no coincidence.
If Faz must be in the team, then it needs to be at the expense of Slade with Manu at 13.

Slades had more than enough chances at international level, IMO
If he's still not producing in this set up it's time to look at alternatives - 42 caps and we're still crossing our fingers one day it will clcok

Slades had more than enough chances at international level, IMO
If he's still not producing in this set up it's time to look at alternatives - 42 caps and we're still crossing our fingers one day it will clcok
Slade makes his mistakes i agree but he needs a 12 that will hold a defender. Play him next to Faz and you dont get that, faz is slow and easy to stop going forward he holds no one.

Slade is at his best when Manu(at 12) draws the defender and he can attack the gaps, split play maker so if they bite in he has a great pass to the wing. With Malins and seward coming in at FB who it seems can run v good lines he could be exactly what we need.

The issue is balance for me, alot of talk of it about the back row but 10 12 13 all play makers is not a great idea...and the issue is 12.

All that said Slade is not perfect and we need more 13s than just him in the squad, But i want to see Smith Manu Slade for a run of games! Hell Atkinson if/when Manu does a Manu and pulls something.

And so once again we get back to the problem of Faz at 12... Seriously the amount of disruption he causes to all those around him in preventing them from playing to their strengths. Maybe Jones sees something I don't but it really seems him and Youngs are disproportionately holding the team back so much by limiting their options.

I've noticed more recently his tendency to shovel on crap ball to avoid being hit, instead letting someone else get smashed. That's pretty **** poor from a captain. He did it to both Smith and Slade in the last game, letting them get absolutely floored rather than Farrell taking a much less forceful hit.

Latest posts