Club or Nation
Northampton
England vs Barbarians
Referee:
Jérôme Garces
Assistant referees: Romain Poite, Pascal Gauzere
Television match official: Bob Ockenden, David Matthews
Assessor: Paul Bridgman, Ed Morrison

When will the England squad be announced?
Wednesday?

Forgot that this is the day after the GP Final, so those players won't be available. Wonder who'll captain with Borthwick and Moody not available, and Hartley out injured as well (they're the only club-captains in the squad aren't they?)

I think Easter has been mentioned as a possible captain, before. What about the prospect of Geraghty at fly-half, if Jonny fails his fitness test?

It's what I'd like to see, though i can imagine Hodgson starting with Geraghty on the bench

Rees is a a good bet for skipper if he's fit and picked.

Rees is a a good bet for skipper if he's fit and picked.

Rees is in neither squad, has pulled out to continue rehab for his ongoing injury woes.

If there are no Leicesterman, I'd pick:

1. Flatman
2. Mears
3. Wilson
4. Lawes
5. Shaw
6. Haskell
7. Armitage
8. Easter (c)
9. Care
10. Hodgson
11. Banahan
12. Barkley
13. Tindall
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Thompson
17. Doran-Jones
18. Palmer
19. Ward-Smith
20. Care
21. Geraghty
22. Tait

With the exception of Banahan, that's the team i'd pick as well (Cueto 11, Ashton 14), Wigglesworth on the bench as well, instead of Cares clone :p
Though i can imagine Strettle getting into the BaaBaas squad, so maybe him and Ashton on the wings

I personally would pick Geraghty ahead of Hodgson in spite of form, because Geraghty has the potential to have an international career, whereas Hodgson is on his way out.
However, should Wilkinson go out, I would pick Myler, Lamb and Goode ahead of both (not going to happen though is it?)

With the exception of Banahan, that's the team i'd pick as well (Cueto 11, Ashton 14), Wigglesworth on the bench as well, instead of Cares clone :p
Though i can imagine Strettle getting into the BaaBaas squad, so maybe him and Ashton on the wings

My baaad. started out with Youngs then realised he was playing on Saturday. Would pick Wiggleswoth over Simpson too.

I personally would pick Geraghty ahead of Hodgson in spite of form, because Geraghty has the potential to have an international career, whereas Hodgson is on his way out.

I agree, however Charlie's not ancient, he's only as old as Dan Carter/a few years younger than Wilko, so not drawing a pension yet :p

Both Geraghty and Hodgson are presently low on confidence, so neither will be at their best no-matter what.

As for the back 3, I liked the balance that Cueto offered with Foden and Ashton in France (remember that Cueto and Foden are hardly unfamiliar with each-other). I'd be pleased if England persevere with that combination then put, I dunno, JSD on the bench.

The team is probably going to be slightly experimental, as it was for the last Baa-Baas game, so we might see Ashton and Banahan on the wings.

Agreed,

It's a pity that tigers are playing in the final/this game is so close, as it'd be a good oppurtunity to get Ben Youngs some decent game time

Anyone know the Baabaas squad? It was supposed to be named on Monday, but i can't find it anywhere

ENGLAND TEAM TO PLAY BARBARIANS
Friendly
Twickenham
Sunday, May 30th, 2010
Kick off 5:00pm
15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
14 Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks)
13 Mike Tindall (Gloucester Rugby)
12 Shontayne Hape (Bath Rugby)
11 David Strettle (Harlequins)
10 Charlie Hodgson (Sale Sharks)
9 Danny Care (Harlequins)
1 Jon Golding (Newcastle Falcons)
2 Steve Thompson (CA Brive)
3 Paul Doran-Jones (Gloucester Rugby)
4 Dave Attwood (Gloucester Rugby)
5 Tom Palmer (Stade Francais)
6 James Haskell (Stade Francais)
7 Steffon Armitage (London Irish)
8 Nick Easter (Harlequins)(capt)

Replacements
16 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby)
17 Tim Payne (London Wasps)
18 Dan Ward-Smith (London Wasps)
19 Joe Worsley (London Wasps)
20 Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
21 Olly Barkley (Bath Rugby)
22 Mathew Tait (Sale Sharks)

I know, frustrating. I love the Baa Baas :)

Various names I have heard include Jean-Baptiste Elisalde, Doug Howlett, Paul Warwick, Jean de Villiers, Alan Quinlan, Florian Frtiz, Byron Kelleher, Rodrigo Roncero, Martyn Williams, Casey Laulala, Xavier Rush, Jerome Thion, Benoit August, Sebastien Bruno, David Barnes and Paul Sackey. Should be enough to make a decent XV :)

Just heard Fritz has been called up to the French squad, and question marks over De Villiers will be playing after joing the SA squad.

1. Rodrigo Roncero
2. Benoit August
3. David Barnes
4. Jerome Thion
5. Alan Quinlan
6. Rodney So'oailo
7. George Smith
8. Xavier Rush

9. Byron Kelleher
10. JB Elisalde
11. Paul Sackey
12. Paul Warwick
13. Casey Laulala
14. Doug Howlett
15. Cedric Heymans

Would be a lot easier with a full squad to pick from :) Beat England last year, here's to a repeat!

ENGLAND TEAM TO PLAY BARBARIANS
Friendly
Twickenham
Sunday, May 30th, 2010
Kick off 5:00pm
15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
14 Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks)
13 Mike Tindall (Gloucester Rugby)
12 Shontayne Hape (Bath Rugby)
11 David Strettle (Harlequins)
10 Charlie Hodgson (Sale Sharks)
9 Danny Care (Harlequins)
1 Jon Golding (Newcastle Falcons)
2 Steve Thompson (CA Brive)
3 Paul Doran-Jones (Gloucester Rugby)
4 Dave Attwood (Gloucester Rugby)
5 Tom Palmer (Stade Francais)
6 James Haskell (Stade Francais)
7 Steffon Armitage (London Irish)
8 Nick Easter (Harlequins)(capt)

Replacements
16 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby)
17 Tim Payne (London Wasps)
18 Dan Ward-Smith (London Wasps)
19 Joe Worsley (London Wasps)
20 Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
21 Olly Barkley (Bath Rugby)
22 Mathew Tait (Sale Sharks)

Hmm, mixed bag,
Would prefer Hape not to be involved, but Payne not starting cancels out any negative in the squad
Why Ward-Smith and Worsely both in the subs? Aren't they both backrowers? Would've made more sense to have replace Worsely with Lawes

I think the current idea is DWS is now a 2nd row.

And as Borthwick isn't involved, they can't drop Worsley... Who would we be calling the one-dimensional, over-rated old git if he wasn't there! :lol:

All in all, it's a decent squad i reckon.
Would've preferred Ashton to be involved, though maybe this is a sign that he doesn't need to prove himself, which is why they've given strettle a run out. Also would've preferred Barkley to start with Hape on the bench (or not there at all)
How are Attwood and Golding? Can't really recall seeing/noticing them play. Glad to see Armitage get a run out as well, he's been great in the GP, and has been unlucky to miss out to moody.
Surprised that Croft isn't named, but i suppose he'll be in the same category as Ward-Smith (back rower who can play lock at a push). Lawes should feel very hard done by as well, as he's a lock who can also play back row =/ (would've preferred those two as the subs instead of Ward-Smith/Worsely).
Not sure why Payne got the nod over Flatman. Baths scrum was very impressive for the majority of their Semi, wheras Payne has never had a good scrum in as long as I can remember.

Roll on Sunday! Hopefully Sackey does start because he's pretty naff.

Last edited:
All in all, it's a decent squad i reckon.
Would've preferred Ashton to be involved, though maybe this is a sign that he doesn't need to prove himself, which is why they've given strettle a run out. Also would've preferred Barkley to start with Hape on the bench (or not there at all)
How are Attwood and Golding? Can't really recall seeing/noticing them play. Glad to see Armitage get a run out as well, he's been great in the GP, and has been unlucky to miss out to moody.
Surprised that Croft isn't named, but i suppose he'll be in the same category as Ward-Smith (back rower who can play lock at a push). Lawes should feel very hard done by as well, as he's a lock who can also play back row =/ (would've preferred those two as the subs instead of Ward-Smith/Worsely).
Not sure why Payne got the nod over Flatman. Baths scrum was very impressive for the majority of their Semi, wheras Payne has never had a good scrum in as long as I can remember.

Roll on Sunday! Hopefully Sackey does start because he's pretty naff.

Don't forget the Leicester players and Borthwick are excluded due to the GP final.

Ah yeah, forgot that's where Croft is.
Wonder if Borthwick will get called up to the squad now that Sarries have declared him fit again =/
Hopefully not

Last edited:

Latest posts