• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Vs Ireland

F

feicarsinn

<div align='center'>
englandrr6.png
irelandlk6.png

So Saturday sees the Irish travel to Twickenham with the hopes of getting their campaign back on track after a disasterous 33-10 drubbing at the hands of the French. The English fortheir part will also be looking to improve on their rather disappointing efforts against Italy last Sunday. Mark Lawerence takes the whistle for what could be a make or break game for these two sides. England may just go in as narrow favourites but at this stage it's just too close to call.

From an Irish point of view I hope we've learnt our lessons from last week. A change in the halfbacks is essential with hopefuly both O'Leary and O' Gara making way for either their Leinster or Ulster counterparts. We all know Best is more than capable of doing a job at 2 but questions will undoubtedly remain about whether he can last more than 50 or so minutes at this level. The full back spot remains open with Andrew Trimble, Georgan Murphy and Shane Horgan all looking to get their names on the teamsheet somewhere in the back three while after the destructive display of the powerhouse Bastareaud in the centre last week, Declan Kidney is likely to follow Marc Lievermont's lead and opt for a midfield pairing of Tony Buckley and Devin Toner.

England as far as I know have no injury problems from last week so we can expect much the same team to take the field, despite the complete failureof Johny Wilkinson or his backline to do anything apart from kick the ball away for about 70 minutes.

</div>

Didn't see the match last week thankfully, but with the GS gone hopefully we will play more rugby than we have before under Kidney.

I really really hope that Flood will start, but we all know that's not going to happen.
The team will stay the same as last week, but hopefully the bench will be a little better, including Foden (on both the bench AND the pitch), and with Flood getting at least 20minutes of game time as well.

I'm praying that Kidney will stick with O'Gara, as Sexton is ten times the player he could hope to be, and he'll look even better opposite sir Kicks-a-lot, and as talked about elsewhere, with O'Gara on the pitch, Irelands back row is effectively reduced by one, as someone has to babysit him.

No idea who'll win. England have the home advantage, but the crappy tactics, but I think we could edge it out and win by 3-6 points

This game should be another NH classic.

Kick the leather every time Wilkinson or O'Gara get the ball. Riveting rugby.

Agree 100%, hope for a proper scoreline like 9-12. If it's not divisible by 3 it's crappy flashy shite. Glad you appreciate true rugby buddy! :)

Sexton will start and Earls and Bowe will be let loose on wings I hope as Sexton will spread but also takes ball on himself which will keep English defense guessing as ROG doesn't take on runs himself.

Ireland I have a feeling will produce the goods and well I expect it to be tight. Foden will be carrying water bottles while Ashton will be watching TV so that'll be Englands 2main scoring threats eliminated already.

Sexton will start and Earls and Bowe will be let loose on wings I hope as Sexton will spread but also takes ball on himself which will keep English defense guessing as ROG doesn't take on runs himself.

Ireland I have a feeling will produce the goods and well I expect it to be tight. Foden will be carrying water bottles while Ashton will be watching TV so that'll be Englands 2main scoring threats eliminated already.

Also how was Stringer omitted from the squad after Friday night???
He was man of the match and his pass (something O'Leary or Reddan don't have) could have been a vital option vs England if we wished to

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Foden will be carrying water bottles while Ashton will be watching TV so that'll be Englands 2main scoring threats eliminated already.[/b]
Agreed, sadly

However, Flutey will be at 12, and if we're not playing badminton, then he should tear it up a bit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 22 2010, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Foden will be carrying water bottles while Ashton will be watching TV so that'll be Englands 2main scoring threats eliminated already.[/b]
Agreed, sadly

However, Flutey will be at 12, and if we're not playing badminton, then he should tear it up a bit
[/b][/quote]
Sadly it will be a kicking game even if Sextn starts he'll be under instructions and Kidney will be safe for first half at least.

If Foden is a water carrier and Ashton is watching on TV I'm going to be f***ing ****** off... Especially as Saints vs Leicester is at 3pm that day.

Any Saints player taken from them and not used then I shall call shenanigans from Martin Johnson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 22 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If Foden is a water carrier and Ashton is watching on TV I'm going to be f***ing ****** off... Especially as Saints vs Leicester is at 3pm that day.

Any Saints player taken from them and not used then I shall call shenanigans from Martin Johnson.[/b]
Oh well Ashton will have match so :lol:
Foden should shout for Ireland as he has an Irish Lass :p But Johnson seems stuborn enough to just leave Foden holding tackle bag.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 22 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed, sadly

[/b][/quote]

Is that Ricky Flutey who couldn't get a game for the Hurricanes, and is now an English test player, a Lions player, and one of the best 12s in the NH?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 22 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 22 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed, sadly

[/b][/quote]

Is that Ricky Flutey who couldn't get a game for the Hurricanes, and is now an English test player, a Lions player, and one of the best 12s in the NH?
[/b][/quote]
A SH team just signed Andy Goode, any argument you bring up you now lose automatically.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 22 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 22 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed, sadly

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
A SH team just signed Andy Goode, any argument you bring up you now lose automatically.
[/b][/quote]
I'm 100% sure if Flutey returned to SH rugby he'd get 12/13 shirt in any NZ province.

As for Andy Goode, it shows the Sharks are fading alot.
As in Nick Williams was a great player in Air NZ Cup and good for Blues??????

Donnacha Ryan is out for the remainder of the 6 nations witha dislocated shoulder. I guess it's Kevin McLaughlin on the bench for saturday then.

Ireland's starting XV hopefully:

15. Geordan Murphy (Not the biggest fan. He specializes in brain farts but is probably our best choice)
14. Tommy Bowe
13. BOD
12. THE KINGGGGGGG!!!!!!
11. Horgan (Form player... and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7HgpvlLFs)
10. Jonny Sexton
9. Eoin Reddan
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. David Wallace
6. Stephen Ferris
5. Paul O'Connell
4. Leo Cullen
3. John Hayes
2. Rory Best
1. Cian Healy

I think this is a big test for a few players' futures;

Jonny Sexton could be the new 1st choice fly half depending on his performance in this match

Reddan could be the new 1st choice scrum half

Cian Healy needs to demonstrate that he can't always be bullied in the scrum

It'll show whether or not Best is yet ready to return to international rugby

If Cullen has a 3rd consecutive match as 1 of the best Irish players on the pitch DOC will have real worries

If Earls starts he needs to show that he's a worthy successor for BOD or D'Arce. Let's be honest. He only really has an international future in the centre. If Kearney were fit he'd be guaranteed the 15 jersey and if Fitzgerald were fit he'd be number 11.

Trimble needs to get himself back on the international scene by playing well if he starts (which he probably won't)

Jamie Noon called up to replace an injured Dan Hipkiss.

Charlie Hodgson trained with England on monday as Wilkinson had "muscle tightness". While Hodgson isn't a good international FH, it does mean Floods chances of starting are slightly than before...or at least he'll get some decent game time with Johnson worrying about Wilkinson breaking.
Odd that Hodgson was called up though, as Geraghty has played a couple of matches for the Saxons during the 6N season, whereas Hodgson was named and not used, so it'd make more sense to bump him up (unless he's already up there in contention for a spot?)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ish/8529277.stm

England team to be announced tomorrow midday

Ok, given recent results, this will be very tough. If we'd blitzed Italy I'd have us as favourites, but since we've moved very little from square 1, Ireland are certainly favourites. Having said that, the Italy game tells us nothing because England always step it up physically for big games, so I forsee a tight contest much like last year's.

the England team I would pick:

1. Mullan (needs a go)
2. Hartley (needs to sort himself out)
3. Cole
4. Shaw
5. Borthwick
6. Haskell
7. Moody (will be an asset although we really need to unearth a proper fetcher)
8. Easter
9. Care
10. Flood
11. Monye
12. Flutey
13. Tait
14. Cueto (like Moody, a great player to have in games such as this. I'd love Ashton to be wearing 14 come the end of the 6N though).
15. Armitage

16. Mears
17. Wilson
18. Lawes
19. Armitage (I'd consider Saull here since I reckon he's got much more international potential)
20. Hodgson
21. Wilkinson
22. Ashton

Foden again is unlucky to miss out on the 22, but I think in the long run Cueto is the back that most needs replacing and Ashton keeps banging on the door.

However, I expect Johnson (injuries permitting) to name an unchanged 22 from the Italy game.

I'm getting f***ing fed up with Martin Johnson and England in general. He's gone to f***ing far.

First it's positivies out of an awful performance against Argentina.
Then it's putting exciting players like Tait, Flutey, Armitage and Monye in the team and not using them for what they got into the team for
Then after Italy Borthwick goes on TV talking about the brilliant performance of the England team
Then Easter most likely gets a rollocking after saying the match was 'boring' and writes an article about how a 'win is a win'
Then it's 'don't criticise Johnny for his goalkicking', while ignoring the facts that he cant control a backline.
Then it's 'we'll kick for 80 minutes'
Now it's Jamie Noon and Charlie Hodgson?!? This is becoming a joke. Dom Waldouck anyone? Jon Clarke anyone? Shane Geraghty anyone? Im quickly becoming very disillusioned with the England set-up.

They may well go and get a grand-slam, but as soon as they come and face a SH team they will get destroyed with their one-dimensional gameplan (without even mentioning the fact that they're kicking awfully anyway! - he's not even playing to his players' strengths!)

If he's going for a kicking gameplan why doesn't he just play

Care
Wilkinson
Armitage
Flood
Flutey
Cueto
Goode

un-f***ing-believable

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 22 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This game should be another NH classic.

Kick the leather every time Wilkinson or O'Gara get the ball. Riveting rugby.[/b]

Id prefer to see a good defence smash someone than your sh defenders pretending to be matadors waving through anybody who cares to run at them

Latest posts