• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Italy - 10/03/2013

Very underwhelming ( backs that is, given the opposition too, no disrespect meant etc etc...just a decent chance to bring a bit of sparkle in to the side )

Not really looking forward to Crofts return at all. He is not better than Wood or Robshaw and to compliment those players we need a ball carrier like Morgan, Vuinipolo, Haskell someone like that.

With croft at 6 and wood at 8 we really lack something, croft spends far too much time in the wide channels for a 6, infact he plays too wide for any forward, i think he might be a better option for the wing than Ashton though at the moment!

With croft at 6 and wood at 8 we really lack something, croft spends far too much time in the wide channels for a 6, infact he plays too wide for any forward, i think he might be a better option for the wing than Ashton though at the moment!

Completely agree. He's a great player, but he doesn't really fit into any traditional team model.
It works well at club level, where his individual talents standout, but the imbalance he causes is too great at international level imo...
He scores tries in the loose, but is really ineffectual in the tight/breakdown, despite his hard work.

Not really looking forward to Crofts return at all. He is not better than Wood or Robshaw and to compliment those players we need a ball carrier like Morgan, Vuinipolo, Haskell someone like that.

Bit of a lazy stereo type that, might as well call him arrogant too. Croft is excellent in the lineout, good in defense and offers a carrying ability no other English forward has, his form for tigers has been very good since his return and he deserves his call up. Think people forget what he gave England in the last 6 nations, no one was complaining about him then.

I'am pleased to see Croft back. Can never have too many good players. He has to work his way back in to the side though and right now tht looks a tall order given Wood and Robshaw have been as good as any player in this years 6 nations ( I wouldn't move Wood to 8 in order to play all 3 )

For now, Croft can join the growing list of high impact subs.

If Croft never plays again I personally couldn't care less. All other options are better then him now.

There seems to be some confusion about the timing of the announcement of the England team to play Italy. It is:
10.45 am, tomorrow, Friday, 8th March 2013.

Even Lawes?

In the second row where he belongs, yes.

Croft is about as effective as a flanker as Lawes. Spends way to much time faffing about in the wide channels and doesn't do nearly enough grunt work.

Last edited:
I'am pleased to see Croft back. Can never have too many good players. He has to work his way back in to the side though and right now tht looks a tall order given Wood and Robshaw have been as good as any player in this years 6 nations ( I wouldn't move Wood to 8 in order to play all 3 )

For now, Croft can join the growing list of high impact subs.

Tick.
Wood has adapted manfully and played 8 but he and Robshaw should be first choice, starting blind and open side and Morgan/Vunipola at 8. Appreciate, injury has forced expediency on Lancaster but I hope and believe that is his preferred option.
Croft is still class and a murderous part of the bench for the last quarter when the hard yards have been won.
Haskell has also done very well. His handling used to be dreadful but it seems he has improved that part of his game. Another valued member of the squad, now, IMHO.

Spends way to much time faffing about in the wide channels and doesn't do nearly enough grunt work.

This. Croft always seemed to be a good player to have if a game opens up, but against a side that is strong at the breakdown it's preferable to have Wood or even Haskell. He's still a class payer, but I think England's recent improvement at the breakdown has been because we have two flankers competing for the ball. If we end the summer tour with a backline that looks threatening, then I really can't see the need for a third winger. Shame he didn't become a lock or try and be a gangly 8.

If Croft never plays again I personally couldn't care less. All other options are better then him now.

say, not been following him since the injury uhhmmm...what's so wrong about him ? He injects length, strong legs and much needed PACE into that English attack, plus he's a world class back overall, not exactly England's forte...

I would be extremely surprised if Croft makes the 15 Lancaster has been keen to give him a run out for a while by all accounts. Croft training with the squad makes sense, so they can asses his fitness and welcome him back into the squad again, but his to select him at 6 for this one would be pretty left field.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if Lanacster selected him as second row cover for Lawes who was pretty average against France IMO - Croft has bulked up quite a bit by all accounts. I hope the Lawes at 6 experiment is finally over, and we can focus on him playing at lock.

Last edited:

If he spent too much time in the wide channels for a 6, his coaches would cease to pick him. Nor would they do so if he was ineffectual in the tight. Watch him closely, he's actually really good there, just not used there as much as he could be due to coaches wanting to get the most out of his pace. Johnson had him out there because Wells is a loon. Lancaster brought him back properly into the fold and Croft responded with some outstanding performances. Croft is an outstanding player who plays to the plan and Wood and Robshaw are going to have to keep playing out of their skins if they want to keep him out.

I'd also say Croft is the outstanding 'wider' ball carrier available to England - he may not be the crash ball merchant Morgan is, but he's got the pace and step to really exploit gaps like no other of our forwards do - and is also the outstanding support runner.

Given that Croft is the exact sterotype of a player that I myself fall into (a surprisingly rapid forward that has his moments in the loose), I've always had a soft spot for him. But in keeping with the set up Lancaster has going, I'd be shocked if he jumped over anybody to come straight into the match day 22. It's fair to the incumbent back row (+ Vunipola/Haskell) and Croft to start him off the bench, as any other player would be coming back off injury.

Ashton's persistence in the squad is starting to get to me, but I guess we'll have to tolerate him a little longer. Fingers crossed Lancaster's giving him one last chance to prove himself (in the hopes that he'll repeat his '11 form). If he regains form, great, if not he can **** off back to Sarries <_<

Nor would they do so if he was ineffectual in the tight. Watch him closely, he's actually really good there, just not used there as much as he could be due to coaches wanting to get the most out of his pace.

I have watched him there, that's how I drew a conclusion.
Obviously there are two camps when it comes to Croft.

Latest posts