• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Japan - 12/11/22

So Smith, Manu, Slade is the option midfield, showing that there should only be one of Smith or Farrell on the pitch at one time
In recent years our best play has come with a Manu, Slade midfield.
Even back in 2019, our best midfield was Burgess or Manu with Slade.
Exeter know that the 2nd playmaker needs to be further out to get width to the attack.
Sarries and Quins use the FB as the 2nd playmaker. In fact it was only in 1980 where the ABs used dual playmakers at 10/12.
The best ABs team used either 13 or 15 as playmaker, (either of the Smith brothers)
What a strange post.

Really struggling with who you intended to mention there. It certainly can't have been Burgess. Even if you changed the year, he was never, ever part of our 'best midfield'.

Saracens with Goode or Malins do use a second playmaker., but Quins don't and never really have*. Our 15 is almost always encouraged to run the ball back. Neither Green or Brown before him are playmakers at all … Green passes more than Brown ever did (which was never going to be hard), but almost always runs first passes second.

You do know Conrad and Ben Smith aren't actually brothers right?

*unless you're referring to the two times Allan has played there as a result of injuries.

I wouldn't even have Tuilagi in the side any more. Lawrence seems to be able to do everything Tuilagi can do power wise and so much more.
The 'Lawrence is a pound-shop Tuilagi' trope has annoyed me for years. Lawrence has power and pace, but also a step, is a tiger in defence and makes an excellent distributor too.

If only he'd improve his lineout jumping, I'm sure Eddie would have picked him ;)

🤦‍♂️ Indeed …

Glaring miss aside though, has there been another?
Georgia and Canada in 2016?
Not big scalps, but both (I think) ranked higher than Japan at the time

Held France to a draw in 2017 in France

That's the best I've got for them, away from home.

I'm not disputing that Japan were poor yesterday, but we all know it's not as simple as that in sport.

This was basically the same Japan side that ran NZ close a matter of weeks ago. I expected a win, mostly because Japan don't seem to be the same side away from home, but they're still a decent opponent.

Look at Italy's win yesterday. It's not a fluke given their 6 Nations win over Wales but no-one gave us any credit for beating them 0-33 in Rome earlier this year.
It's the old cliché I guess: can only beat what's in front of you

That was brutal. Japan look flat-footed and inexperienced in open play, and that automatic scrum=penalty early on was pretty crippling

I got the feeling Japan were using a modified game-plan and the players haven't quite figured out how it works yet... and the opposition already have a copy of your notes. England surgically putting pressure in every weak point. Especially looking at the number of times Japan got isolated & gave England easy turnovers

They half-way fixed it at half time, at least.

Congrats to England - you never let us into the game

Last edited:

Latest posts