• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Japan - 12/11/22

Personally didn't think England were very impressive, a good win, but Japan had way to many basic errors, poor passing, great long passes to the wing who was unfortunately standing still every time.

Japan's poor play contributed a lot to that result

End scoreboard looked OK, but we didn't really learn anything there.

This wasn't a Japan who hadn't been in camp for months for a World Cup and we had a predictably massive power advantage.

Takes the heat off for a few days but no relevance to the tougher tests to come.

Standard jones, didn't learn anything, didn't play that great, experienced players didn't look that good.

I think every game jones coaches you could say that.

Smith/ Farrell still doesn't work, really fail to see how Farrell is an international player at all these days. Offers nothing.

My issue with Faz Smith is Smith hasnt learned how to control the game at international level because Faz is always holding his hand,

Slade went to 15 and Steward to wing at the end, obv pacticing for the WC again. Dont mind it when games are won like that but why not use it to try knew centre partnerships and take faz off? Porter is a pretty good player solid but nothing special IMO.

What do we think of Big Joe's performance? Did he offer that much in attack? Good chasing of kicks and some good hits but i think id rather Freeman.

I think choose Coles or Ribbans, for me Coles and stick now til the WC, Coles looked like he has quite alot going for him and a good spot by EJ tbh because a few of us were abit surprised at the start of the AI's.

And finally PLEASE DO NIT PUT SPOILIRS FOR THE WALES GAME ON THIS THREAD AS I WONT BE ABLE TO WATCH IT UNTIL TOMORROW, thankyou :)

Personally didn't think England were very impressive, a good win, but Japan had way to many basic errors, poor passing, great long passes to the wing who was unfortunately standing still every time.

Japan's poor play contributed a lot to that result
Personally find it hard to recall a time England have looked impressive post WC semi.

My thoughts from the game...

Playing a more dynamic 8 is better than playing Thomas Waldrom right now.

Lets play two locks. Itoje and a big old beast next to him. While we're at it please give Willis a shot

Mako is shot. Annihilated by the opposite prop after Genge ruined him.

Youngs gets 70 mins when he starts. JVP gets 60. New replacements get little time to shine, and if they start they get subbed way earlier. EJ is a petty old twat basically.

Replacements are out of sync and its so frustrating. Flats hit the nail on commentary, we know what some of these players do. Smith was pretty poor so was a chance to have a Farrell/Smith Porter/Tuilagi or Slade/Tuilagi midfield with 2 wingers on. Takes off a winger. MADNESS.

I still love Johnny May.

However great result, average performance.

Porter. Decent player, worth his spot in a potential WC 31 man squad. A few average to decent games, no moments and a few mistakes. Marchant. A few average to good games, not many mistakes, gets dropped from the whole thing. He buggers off to France. Why would he not. EJ isn't only ruining the squad and players he picks but by alienating players who go abroad and then they won't be considered for selection for the next 6N or WC years... Frustrating

Ribbans. Deserves a shot, an absolute beast (from a EQ viewpoint) gets his chance and gets subbed first up. Itoje and Hill stay on (no fault on these players). We need a proper look at players.

Reminds me of putting young players on bench (Dunn for example). They get 3 minutes.. It just doesn't make sense from a coaching viewpoint, esp when you're 20 points up

Its always hard to tell when Japan have a bad performance if it's due to them facing their kryptonite of a strong pack or Jamie Joseph in his fairly standard mode of not remotely caring about the scoreline or performance (before having then excel out of the blue in a big match).

Have Japan ever had a big result away from home though? I might be wrong, but AFAIK, their best performances have all been in Japan.

Personally find it hard to recall a time England have looked impressive post WC semi.
Me too.

Although in a game like today, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. A convincing win over a decent opponents and a reasonably good performance is being dismissed which feels somewhat unfair.

Have Japan ever had a big result away from home though? I might be wrong, but AFAIK, their best performances have all been in Japan.

Me too.

Although in a game like today, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. A convincing win over a decent opponents and a reasonably good performance is being dismissed which feels somewhat unfair.
I think "decent opponents" and "reasonably good performance" are both a touch generous given how poor Japan were in the end (in hindsight).

It was a game where all we had to do was turn up, really. Definitely had a few highlights (Genge was immense, Ribbans and Coles can operate at int level and so on) but not sure we learned much, unfortunately.

Except they weren't. They played like headless chickens with a bar of soap from the off rather than as a result of any excellence from us. And hopelessly underpowered - Genge could have done some real damage to their TH if he'd been so minded.

As you say damned either way for this one. So no conclusions to draw and we move on.

Anyone care to put any money on the 4, 5 and 6 combination for next week?

My thoughts from the game...

Playing a more dynamic 8 is better than playing Thomas Waldrom right now.

Lets play two locks. Itoje and a big old beast next to him. While we're at it please give Willis a shot

Mako is shot. Annihilated by the opposite prop after Genge ruined him.

Youngs gets 70 mins when he starts. JVP gets 60. New replacements get little time to shine, and if they start they get subbed way earlier. EJ is a petty old twat basically.

Replacements are out of sync and its so frustrating. Flats hit the nail on commentary, we know what some of these players do. Smith was pretty poor so was a chance to have a Farrell/Smith Porter/Tuilagi or Slade/Tuilagi midfield with 2 wingers on. Takes off a winger. MADNESS.

I still love Johnny May.

However great result, average
performance.
When will he practice losing Farrell to injury!!!!

I think "decent opponents" and "reasonably good performance" are both a touch generous given how poor Japan were in the end (in hindsight).

It was a game where all we had to do was turn up, really. Definitely had a few highlights (Genge was immense, Ribbans and Coles can operate at int level and so on) but not sure we learned much, unfortunately.
I'm not disputing that Japan were poor yesterday, but we all know it's not as simple as that in sport.

This was basically the same Japan side that ran NZ close a matter of weeks ago. I expected a win, mostly because Japan don't seem to be the same side away from home, but they're still a decent opponent.

Look at Italy's win yesterday. It's not a fluke given their 6 Nations win over Wales but no-one gave us any credit for beating them 0-33 in Rome earlier this year.

Erm. There was that period recently when Farrell was injured. Could that be called "practice"?
So Smith, Manu, Slade is the option midfield, showing that there should only be one of Smith or Farrell on the pitch at one time
In recent years our best play has come with a Manu, Slade midfield.
Even back in 2019, our best midfield was Burgess or Manu with Slade.
Exeter know that the 2nd playmaker needs to be further out to get width to the attack.
Sarries and Quins use the FB as the 2nd playmaker. In fact it was only in 1980 where the ABs used dual playmakers at 10/12.
The best ABs team used either 13 or 15 as playmaker, (either of the Smith brothers)

Beating South Africa in Brighton?

Even back in 2019, our best midfield was Burgess or Manu with Slade.
Pardon?

Exeter know that the 2nd playmaker needs to be further out to get width to the attack.
Sarries and Quins use the FB as the 2nd playmaker. In fact it was only in 1980 where the ABs used dual playmakers at 10/12.
The best ABs team used either 13 or 15 as playmaker, (either of the Smith brothers)
Ah, I see, just talking ****

Last edited:

Latest posts