• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs USA Eagles

My main take on this is the players we wanted to put their hands up did, both Lawrence and Malins looked dangerous, Randall and Smith kept the tempo, Langdon and Hayes looked good for the future. Curry and Ludlam looked good when they come on.

My choice for next week. Based on today

Genge
Langdon
Hayes
Hill (so much competition in the back row, so should be given a chance at lock, we also lose nothing by not having Mcnally)
Ewels(Meh)
Curry
Underhill
Dombrandt
Randall
Smith
A young winger(malins if shoulder isnt as bad)
Lawrence(Kelly if not)
Slade(experence and not a weak point)
Big Joe(i like the idea of lawrence and joe with smith and slade as playmakers)
Stewart(solid he earned it)

Bench 5 3 split!

My main take on this is the players we wanted to put their hands up did, both Lawrence and Malins looked dangerous, Randall and Smith kept the tempo, Langdon and Hayes looked good for the future. Curry and Ludlam looked good when they come on.

Genge
Langdon
Hayes
Hill (so much competition in the back row, so should be given a chance at lock, we also lose nothing by not having Mcnally)
Ewels(Meh)
Curry
Underhill
Dombrandt
Randall
Smith
Lawrence(Kelly if not)

Bench 5 3 split!
I like it, maybe Marchant on wing or OHC to give something different to Big J, if Malins is injured.
Will Lawrence be ok if he failed HIA.

It was good to see an unstuffy England side, even if a little (understandably) raw.

I would not be unhappy if a bunch of today's 23 started for England from now on, hopefully gives enough time for some proper international experience before the next world cup. It also showed that should injuries occur there is plenty of depth to ready to step up if rotated in more frequently than present.

Genge
Langdon
Hayes
Ewels(Meh)
Curry
Underhill
Dombrandt
Randall
Smith
Lawrence(Kelly if not)

Bench 5 3 split!
With the exception of swapping in Marchant in for Slade, that's the side I'd pick.

You could play Marchant on the wing, but based upon his end to the season form, IMO he deserves to start ahead of Slade. Plus, I'd prefer to see Radwan come in on the wing than Marchant playing in his second best position.

Think Marchant really should start at 13,
There's nothing to learn from Slade getting more time there - he's already first choice, time to look for who's next in line

If Lawrence is ruled out (6 day turn around + failed HIA) I wouldn't be surprised if EJ shifted Slade to 12

Wooching has looked bad, no wonder he just signed with a French third division side.
I'm surprised Psalm even played this weekend because he was injured in his last game with the San Diego Legion. Maybe his injury wasn't as serious as it looked?

Last edited:
I must say it was refreshing to see how quick Randall got to the break down and kept the ball moving. It was a world away from watching Youngs saunter up to it, look left, right then left again before deciding to pass the bloody ball.

Don't think we learned a great deal.

Understandably all a bit disjointed, particularly when the subs came on. Most of those who we thought will have a future in the senior side showed flashes. Most of those who we didn't think are up to the required standard confirmed it.

Lawrence has clearly upset the rugby gods somewhere. Joe's not back to his best but had some decent touches apart from his tries. Steward just looks the part - I'd put him straight in the senior team now.

Up front I thought Heyes largely did OK, but stiffer tests await. Ludlow, Chick and the locks all showed why, barring injuries, they're unlikely to ever be considered as starters.

And 6:2 is nuts.

I didn't realise how tall Freddie Steward is,
There's a picture of all the new caps and he's towering over everyone apart from McInally

Fair play to his junior coaches for not forcing him to play in the row just because he's tall

I didn't realise how tall Freddie Steward is,
There's a picture of all the new caps and he's towering over everyone apart from McInally

Fair play to his junior coaches for not forcing him to play in the row just because he's tall
Might not have been tall as a junior.
Besides, junior coaches also love a big quickish guy in the back 3

Out of interest sake, how did the US starting 7 perform? Played with my wife's oldest at school. left for the US not long after Grade 12.....small SA high school.

Steward looked quality. He impressed me that much id happily see him play in the AI's when he has the full squad around him,

Daly also made a nice cameo for the lions at 13...im sure that didnt go unoticed by Mr Jones..

Latest posts