• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England will kick and kick and kick, says Johnson (aka dick)

G

Gavin

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-ne...00219-ols8.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
England coach Martin Johnson has warned supporters he will not bow to pressure to play a more attractive style of rugby, and will instruct his side to ''kick the ball for 80 minutes'' if necessary against Ireland at Twickenham next weekend - despite widespread public disapproval of the uninspiring Six Nations game against Italy in Rome last Sunday.

The England team manager has also rejected criticism of Jonny Wilkinson, and left his audience in little doubt that his fellow World Cup winner will be retained at five-eighth against the Irish. He insisted Wilkinson had been unfairly targeted for England's collective failure to play better against the Azzurri and, tellingly, has asked his back-up No.10, Toby Flood, to go back and play for Leicester this weekend.

Johnson has never hidden his belief that entertainment is a minor issue compared with the serious business of winning Test matches, and he is not about to change his opinion now.

''We're doing these things because they're effective, not because they're entertaining,'' he said. ''If we have to kick the ball for 80 minutes, we'll do that. We should have no qualms when we do. The kicking is there to create opportunities. We're not doing it because we can't think of better things to do.

''Playing rugby isn't about what people want to see: kicking is a big part of the match, and will be again next week. Let's not pretend you're going to go out and counter-attack off every kick. If they put together a good kick-chase, that's suicide. We need to make smart decisions and play the game in front of us.''

England No.8 Nick Easter, who had described Sunday's encounter as ''boring'', was also back on message on Thursday: ''Results are the most important thing. Whether you win by six penalties having put them under pressure or by three tries, it doesn't really matter.''[/b]
What an ass he really is.

It's fine being boring in order to win games, but you've got to win games. Beating Italy doesn't count. They should have beaten them by a lot more, and this isn't done by kciking all the time. Same goes for Argentina in the Autumn. No world class sides ever got world class playing 10 man rugby. England & South Africa have done it in the past with outsdanding packs and goalkickers, but both those sides scored plenty of good tries too.

Since when has it enetered the English tradition to play restrictive rugby? Was it since 2003, seing as it had worked well in the RWC?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 19 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Since when has it enetered the English tradition to play restrictive rugby? Was it since 2003, seing as it had worked well in the RWC?[/b]

But the tactic in 2003 wasn't "Kick and don't chase. Then don't do anything else"!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 19 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 19 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate it too. But England have a good chance of winning the GS.[/b]
England beating France in Paris .............. :p :eek: :lol: No Chance
[/b][/quote]

After walloping Ireland and looking really good so far... You know what they have a tendency to do.

That said, England will do the same to the Irish then get humped at Murrayfield.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 20 2010, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 19 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 19 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate it too. But England have a good chance of winning the GS.[/b]
England beating France in Paris .............. :p :eek: :lol: No Chance
[/b][/quote]

After walloping Ireland and looking really good so far... You know what they have a tendency to do.

That said, England will do the same to the Irish then get humped at Murrayfield.
[/b][/quote]
No, England may scrape past Ireland. And then the hype begins - which is when Johnson will be tempted away from what's been working for him.

Ireland were beaten by France easily!!!!

If England beat Ireland I wont be MAJORLY surprised but if England beat France in Paris :eek: Bullitt i'll buy you a season ticket for both Thomond Park and Franklin Gardens :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really think England are miles off a Grand Slam and French will be fired up for that game after last year in London.

On a sidenote, is that quote in your new siggy taken from the Martin Johnson attack play book Mite?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 20 2010, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On a sidenote, is that quote in your new siggy taken from the Martin Johnson attack play book Mite?[/b]

No, it's a sly dig at Super 14 defensive capabilities, but I like your thinking! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 20 2010, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
if England beat France in Paris :eek: Bullitt i'll buy you a season ticket for both Thomond Park and Franklin Gardens :lol: :lol: :lol:[/b]
Just quoting this so that we have proof :p

I'm not saying England are deffinately going to beat them, but France have a habbit of horribly underperforming against us, so we have every chance of pulling out of the bag

Latest posts