• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England winning the World Cup - the emotions

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Wilkinson's drop goal to tip England over Australia in the final. That play just appeared again in my FB newsfeed. In 2003 I couldn't care less about Rugby and had no clue there was such a thing as a Rugby World Cup, roughly roughly knew about the 6N...when I got into Rugby, I learned eventually England were at their peak historically during that Woodward era and Wilkinson had actually kicked in the very winning drop goal to untie the score against the Wallabies in the final, IN Australia. But it was so immense, it was like a fairytale and I sort of just 'accepted it' as a cold historical fact. It's practically a caricature, and is almost comical in a sense, it's such a perfect ending.

But just now for whatever random reason it hit me in a more vivid dimension. Winning the world cup for the very first time, not seeing a Sanzar team win for the first time ever, after having come all this way and that moment Wilkinson kicked it over and the flags raised...that must've been one of the greatest moments in some individuals' lives, like, a shock.
Most of the guys on here must've been kids or teens but do you recall anything worth mentioning about the atmosphere for the next month in England ? Any notable anecdote, stories I couldn't just read up online in some bland article ? I can just imagine the various scenes in pubs, the decibels must've awoken creatures on other planets.

I was 12 and at Saturday school (huzzah!) and the entire school (about 300) was watching it on a big projector in our assembly hall/theatre... I had a detention at half time.

It was at this point that I was told by the Scottish, christian music teacher who was taking the detention that "people like you grow up to be terrorists and blow yourself up!*".

Back in for the second half. Errone went mental when we won.

Dallaglio and a couple of others (can't remember who) came and did some coaching with us a few weeks later.

*Actual quote - no embellishment.

Last edited:
you're 23?

ouch! i'm old. :(

Watched it in my new apartment in Hackney, was decorating and it was literally just a mess with boxes everywhere and so on... i'd rigged the TV up just for the final.

you're 23?

ouch! i'm old. :(

Watched it in my new apartment in Hackney, was decorating and it was literally just a mess with boxes everywhere and so on... i'd rigged the TV up just for the final.

Nope. He's young, and that explains a few things actually...

But very compelling story otherwise. Thank you for that. Really makes me glad I made this thread. Ahem.

I remember watching the second half with my dad. He was shouting a lot but I didn't have a clue what was going on because I was 13 and not really interested in sports back then.

Don't remember much else otherwise. That might be partly because I was a Northerner living in league heartlands though.

Latest posts