England World Cup Squad

ncurd

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Okay we are t-minus 10mins (plus usual suspense time) until England fans all lose their minds from mad selections from EJ. How screwed are we?

Overall Iactually think doing this early is a good thing, stop speculation rumour mill and the focus of the warm up games becomes about honing in on the 21 players that will start rather than worrying about the plane.

You mean get them announced earlier, so Jones can injure them earlier and then we can get replacement flown in earlier.

Squad announced
Forwards

Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) ** Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps) Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps) Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 10 caps) Jamie George (Saracens, 37 caps) * Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27 caps) George Kruis (Saracens, 32 caps) * Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59 caps) * Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 72 caps) ** Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 1 cap) Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58 caps) * Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22 caps) Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1 cap) Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps) Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42 caps) * Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps) * Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons / Sale Sharks, 13 caps)

Backs

Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 5 caps) Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31 caps) Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70 caps) * George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps) * Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 5 caps) Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap) Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 41 caps) * Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps) * Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby, uncapped) Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 33 caps) * Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps) * Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 33 caps) * Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 34 caps) * Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

* Number of Rugby World Cup tournaments played

Here we go,

Francis and McConnochie feel like the most out there choices but they'll be injury/rest players.

Overall I'm quite happy with that.

2 SHs is mad but anticipated. But I'm only seeing 2 THs one of whom is Cole? Pls tell me I need to go to Specsavers.

Far too many lightly capped players for comfort.

No surprises really, given the way the squad had been reduced so far.
Francis > Te'o; Heinz > Spencer and McConnochie AND Nowell are the closest to be surprises, and 2 of those had been signposted for a week.

Now I just wonder who comes in if Nowell doesn't recover in time (it is actually 31 names isn't it?)

ETA: Ok, surprised by only 2 THPs - hadn't noticed that at time of posting

Last edited:
Disappointed no Spencer and that he wasn't given experience beforehand, although Heinz seems to offer what we need just for the WC so can live with it. Likewise with Dombrandt. Still baffled by the completely different treatment the 2 Curries get.

Great to see that Teo isn't in the squad although it's a shame so many caps have been wasted on him.

Pretty light on caps, I hope Jones isn't going to beast the seniors so they are knackered by the end.

2 SHs is mad but anticipated. But I'm only seeing 2 THs one of whom is Cole? Pls tell me I need to go to Specsavers.

Yup only 2 TH's one assumes EJ has just said we are playing these two regardless and we'll call up a third if required through injury.

Caps don't bother me, I wish we hadn't persisted with Hartley, Brown, Care for so many years on Eddie took over but I'm not sad to see the back of them either. Wish we had a proper tried and tested play at FB other than Daly (who's been tries, tested and found wanting).

Glad to see the back of Te'o, Shields and Hughes.

Back row of Curry, Underhill and Vunipola still has me salivating just hope they can all stay fit.

Just clocked that,
3 tightheads really should be going, such an attritional position and, frankly, Sinckler could well get himself a week or two ban at some point.

LHP: Mako Vunipola, Joe Marler, Ellis Genge
HK: Jamie George, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Jack Singleton
THP: Dan Cole, Kyle Sinckler
LK: Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Courtney Lawes, Joe Launchbury
FL: Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Lewis Ludlam
#8: Billy Vunipola, Mark Wilson

SH: Ben Youngs, Willi Heinz
FH: Owen Farrell, George Ford
CE: Manu Tuilagi, Jonathan Joseph, Henry Slade, Piers Francis
WG: Jonny May, Joe Cokanasiga, Jack Nowell, Ruaridh McConnochie
FB: Elliot Daly, Anthony Watson

I'd happily sacrifice Francis and one of Nowell/McConnochie in order to have the correct number of THPs and SHs

Last edited:
No Spencer is disappointing,

Surprised at McConnochie, especially after missing this weekend - he must be tearing up trees in training

No Teo is great

Spencer is the only one that annoys me. There is no reason for not picking not 1.

McConnochie And Francis shouldn't really be going but then again I'm arguing over 3rd choice 12 and 5th choice winger the 30/31st squad players. But like every England fan you'd rather EJ goes with the best 31 no the best 27 with 4 wild cards.

No Hughes, Shields and Teo is very good though.

I'm being negative but over all I'm happy with that. England can definitely compete with the best and win it.

Spencer is the only one that annoys me. There is no reason for not picking not 1.

McConnochie And Francis shouldn't really be going but then again I'm arguing over 3rd choice 12 and 5th choice winger the 30/31st squad players. But like every England fan you'd rather EJ goes with the best 31 no the best 27 with 4 wild cards.

No Hughes, Shields and Teo is very good though.

I'm being negative but over all I'm happy with that. England can definitely compete with the best and win it.
Agreed but got to question why Eddie wasted so many caps on them

Possibility that Nowell is expected not to be fit in time, to be replaced by Spencer, but is too good to leave out if he does make it?
So "would rather have Jack AND Ruaridh, with 2 SHs; but if either can't make it, would rather 3rd SH than Ashton/Solomona"

Agreed but got to question why Eddie wasted so many caps on them
TBF with Shields/Hughes it was more due to injury cover and incumbents. The players that have pushed them away are only just international ready.

Te'o I've never been a fan of and never really understood why Gatland and Jones rated him so much considering the vast array of alternatives.

Latest posts