• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Englands new inside centre

B

Bang

Jonny Wilkinson. Thought that he played well at inside without the burden of controlling the game.

It does make sense he plays there, he played outside Charlie Hodgenson for the England u21's at the start if his career and it apparently worked quite well.
Hes a solid defender has a great kicking game, and can hold the ball up, basically everything a good number 12 needs. Personally Id love to see Vainikolo in the centre along side him at 13, it could be an amazing combination of skill and power. Imagine him punching holes into a defence and having people like Cueto and Sackey running off him.

Can't say I'm convinced after one preformance that wasn't spectacular, against a weak foe with the match pretty much in the bag. People have critized Wilkinson's distribution, what sense does it make putting him at IC? England would have to resort to Italy tactics, throwing missed passes, etc. We alread have a kicking option with Cipriani, so Wilkinson's main feat is already devalued. His only other main feat is defence. Every opposition will KNOW they won't have to defend Wilko that well, because he is not someone who will make the break on his own. I'd much rather have a natural, more creative IC.

Can't say I'm convinced after one preformance that wasn't spectacular, against a weak foe with the match pretty much in the bag. People have critized Wilkinson's distribution, what sense does it make putting him at IC? England would have to resort to Italy tactics, throwing missed passes, etc. We alread have a kicking option with Cipriani, so Wilkinson's main feat is already devalued. His only other main feat is defence. Every opposition will KNOW they won't have to defend Wilko that well, because he is not someone who will make the break on his own. I'd much rather have a natural, more creative IC. [/b]

Too true. I think Wilko is still a great asset to the squad, but at present he is an experienced commited squad member, not a 1st XV player.

Wilko needs to work on his passing. He doesn't hit the runner in stride often enough and forces people to jump and check their runs. He also needs to either get Newcastle into the H-cup or move to a team that's in it. For me, he needs to be playing at a higher level than GP if he wants to get back into the starting England team.

We've already got a fly-half to distribute the ball and kick, the centres don't necessarily need excellent handling skills as long as they can pass when and where is needed. Flood's clearing kicks have been good and his chip and chase was a good one. I'm sure he can do some tactical kicking too. Not to mention he's a good runner. But neither Cipriani or Flood are tank traps like Wilkinson in defence.

I think we need to get Geraghty in at center, does he play at inside or outside center?

Ah, but Geheraty is always injured... Therefore the new midfield pair will be Allen and Hipkiss!

It's easy!

Yeah, can't really see anything Wilko would bring to the center. Hipkiss with his direct running and Geheraghty hitting the line at angles. At the moment it just gets held up in the centers, always seems to be route one.

Ah, but Geheraty is always injured... Therefore the new midfield pair will be Allen and Hipkiss!

It's easy! [/b]

Same thing really, the two could interchange, you'd still have the same blazing running.

Toby Flood is doing a fairly good job at outside center, I think it'd be a sound investment for the world cup to preen a Cipriani - Flood relationship.
Having a 12 that is handy with the boot opens up a lot more options. It would allow Cipriani to go on those breaks he is so fond of without losing control in the backline because of Floods ability to also play 10.
The same applies to Wilkinson but I think England should be working towards the next work cup and not keeping the dinosaurs around, which they are more than guilty of doing. Not to say Wilkinson is a dinosaur, but in a few years that will be the case.

As for outside center I don't know, not Vainikolo for sure. Yeah, it'd bring him into the game more but again I think England should be investing in the future stars.

I hated Toby Flood before the 6 nations but I have to say I thought he played very well and matured alot. He did what was needed of him but saying that i heard Wilko played well at Inside so it could be an new intresting battle. Anybody who thinks England dont have enough upcoming talent obviously hasn't been out recently

Latest posts