• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

English too fat to win World Cup - Fitzpatrick

It's not a question of being fat. They're just not as good as they were 4 years ago.
[/b]

I dont think the team they had 4 years ago if that much better than the current crop, it's more to do with the rest of the world developing their games at a quicker rate than England. They won the world cup, I think they lost their motivation to improve, unlike New Zealand who are far more hungry for success. Like Rocky 3 with Clubber Lang! You get what I'm saying?

<div class='quotemain'>
It's not a question of being fat. They're just not as good as they were 4 years ago.
[/b]

I dont think the team they had 4 years ago if that much better than the current crop, it's more to do with the rest of the world developing their games at a quicker rate than England. They won the world cup, I think they lost their motivation to improve, unlike New Zealand who are far more hungry for success. Like Rocky 3 with Clubber Lang! You get what I'm saying?
[/b][/quote]

You kidding?

We had one of the great international captains; a back-row probably matched by no one but the French; the best front-row in the world (2 of whom have now had to retire); Jonny at the top of his game; Matt Dawson and all his experience; a world class centre and a back 3 all at their peak.

Plus a coach who had spent 5 years teaching his side how to be the best.

Better if you ask me.

Yeah, England 03 were one of the great teams - especially in Dublin in the 6N and on their summer tour to the SH. But they just scraped the RWC. Shame on France for wimping out in the 1/4 finals - il pleut! - but fair dues to Gregan's Australia for pushing the final so close.

Fascinating to see how this topic has moved from the current England team being too fat/too crap to win this year`s RWC, and has come full circle to being a celebration of the 2003 team. Clive Woodward must be so proud..........

What are you talking about? We've only passed around to the 2003 team because someone (actually a Welshman) suggested that the current crop are "exactly the same as the 2003 team" which isn't accurate at all.

Obviously Bok, we should just stand here and say nothing, using only our bare chests to deflect the attacks made upon our flanks. Talking about a side which worked miracles in 2002 and 2003 is obviously breaking one of the biggest taboos on this great earth. I am ever so sorry for insulting you, I shall apologise and never speak of it again. 2003? When was that? I have never even heard of such a year! Wiped from my memory you see!

Seriously, anything for a dig eh? :lol:

England have every chance of beating South Africa in pool play... and every chance of beating either Australia or Wales in their quarter final.. so to write them off already is unwise in my view!