[EOYT] Brazil vs. Portugal 15/11/13

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Brazil.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Portugal.png

(Just noticed we have no Brazil logo LOL)

Brazil vs. Portugal. 15/11/13, 20:00 BRST, Arena Barueri, Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Referee: Frederico Anselmi (Argentina)

Brazil hosts what just might be one of their most important tests ever, when they take on their historical founding country Portugal in what promises to be a fun encounter. Portugal will look to build upon an OK performance against Fiji but will not want to risk players to injury and fatigue with a big match up vs. Canada next week they have therefore named a less experienced side built around a veteran core. Brazil meanwhile have also dropped several veterans from the side due to age and performance during the recent CONSUR games. This will be the first match up between the two.

Thanks to Paul Tait(who has been rightly nominated for Pan American rugby writer of the year!!!) and his blog for help on the Brazilian side, http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.ca/2013/11/surprises-in-brazil-team-named-to-face.html?spref=tw

Brazil

FB 15 Guilherme Coghetto
RW 14 Lucas Tranquez
OC 13 Gustavo Badino
IC 12 Pedro Lopes
LW 11 André Luiz
FH 10 Alexandre Browne
SH 9 Felipe Claro
N8 8 Nick Smith
OF 7 Matheus Daniel
BF 6 João Luiz da Ros
RL 5 Lucas Piero
LL 4 Diego Pietrobon
TP 3 Jardel Vettorato
HK 2 Daniel Danielewicz
LP 1 Jonatas Paulo

Replacements:
HK 16 Nelson Oliveira
PR 17 Lucas Abud
FL 18 Pedro Rosa
LK 19 Mauricio Camargo
SH 20 Bruno Garcia
SH 21 João Neto
FB 22 Matheus Silva
CE 23 Moisés Cavalleri

Portugal

FB 15 Pedro Leal
RW 14 Gonçalo Foro
OC 13 Pedro Bettencourt
IC 12 Miguel Leal
LW 11 Frederico Oliveira
FH 10 Francisco Almeida
SH 9 Francisco Pinto
N8 8 Vasco Uva
OF 7 Julien Bardy
BF 6 Antônio Duarte
RL 5 Gonçalo Uva
LL 4 Rafael Simões
TP 3 Jorge Segurado
HK 2 João Correia (c)
LP 1 Bruno Medeiros

Replacements:
PR 16 João Almeida
PR 17 Bruno Rocha
HK 18 Francisco Tavares
FL 19 Fernando Almeida
LK 20 Eric dos Santos
SH 21 Luís Salema
CE 22 Francisco Appleton
WG 23 Adérito Esteves

Last edited:
I'm highly offended Little Guy.
Here's the Brazilian logo....HERE IT IS !!!!

Brasil+Logo+-+New.jpg

Boy, these two nations would make the headlines if it were football (soccer) but goddamn they sure ain't makin no headlines at Rugby ! :p

Terrible player selection by Brazil, they left probably their four best players off the squad entirely. I was talking to Paul and he predicted Portugal by at least 40 and that's what happened. Don't think they would have won but could have sent the home support away with something to cheer about, getting blown out like this isn't a great sign and it maybe difficult for Brazil to be part of the EOYT's for the foreseeable future after even Portugal bombed them for nearly 70.

This is what happens when you try to skip stages like that... We were not prepared for that test match, despite what our vice-captain was saying about it ("we want to have the RIGHT to win this match through a performance that would make us proud"). Lol, even after the match they had the arrogance to say that "did we have more time, the score would be different".

Brazil's rugby is growing up... but this kind of arrogance is a disgrace for our sport.

ps. By the way... Hello there! Since the 2011 World Cup I'm here with you guys reading carefully pretty much everything you guys are saying about this sport i love so much. Thanks for the opportunity to get to know more about the real Beautiful Game.

ola Welcome to TRF!

as for the game, well the result was pretty much expected. Brazil is just making their first steps in rugby while Portugal is fighting to qualify for the world cup.

I think it should be easy for Brazilians to pick up the game since they love sports and lots of countries in their neighborhood play rugby on an ok level (Uruguay, Chile) they could also play clubs from Argentina. Should be fun times ahead for them. Best Wishes

This is what happens when you try to skip stages like that... We were not prepared for that test match, despite what our vice-captain was saying about it ("we want to have the RIGHT to win this match through a performance that would make us proud"). Lol, even after the match they had the arrogance to say that "did we have more time, the score would be different".

Brazil's rugby is growing up... but this kind of arrogance is a disgrace for our sport.

ps. By the way... Hello there! Since the 2011 World Cup I'm here with you guys reading carefully pretty much everything you guys are saying about this sport i love so much. Thanks for the opportunity to get to know more about the real Beautiful Game.

This is exactly the reason I started these threads, really trying to find out more about the Tier Two and Three countries and their fans, it's great to see the game on it's way in Brazil and I heard there was a decent turnout even if the result was not as close as Brazilian and neutral fans would have liked.

wow, 0-68...at home, by Portugal. Brazil just flat out, flat out doesn't play Rugby huh, I didn't know they were that behind.

wow, 0-68...at home, by Portugal. Brazil just flat out, flat out doesn't play Rugby huh, I didn't know they were that behind.
almost everyone outside top 25 is like that... Miles behind

This is exactly the reason I started these threads, really trying to find out more about the Tier Two and Three countries and their fans, it's great to see the game on it's way in Brazil and I heard there was a decent turnout even if the result was not as close as Brazilian and neutral fans would have liked.

Cool! =]

What I can say here is that Brazilian ruggers get to know the game when they are adults already... or when they are 17, 18 years old and starting college. The regular person don't know rugby at all. They ALWAYS say "Isso é Futebol Americano?!" (is this american football?!).

Or take my club as an example: we have now a adult team (masculine and feminine).. and that's all. It's very difficult to bring new people into the game - specially kids, for we don't have the know-how to deal with them and introduce the game to them.

So yeah, it will take a couple more decades before something really meaningful takes part in here...

Also take into account Portugal get many many more test matches per year in their regional competition (the highest level outside the 6N) compared to Brazil, a key part to getting better is being able to play consistently. Also for their South American championship matches, they always get the crap end of the stick and end up playing 3 matches in a span of a week or week and a half, and always seem to play Argentina after the shortest break. So the score always flatters sides like Argentina immensely who have enough depth to cover for a match like Brazil. They've had the Crusaders in to help them for a couple of years, they've played in the EACON, but as Igor said, it has to come from youth participation to make the real next step. There are talented individuals on the squad but rugby isn't an individual sport.

Latest posts