• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: England vs South Africa, 24/11/2012

Lol! that's what happens when your captain thinks he's cleverer than the coach

Speaking of captains, I just read that HM apparently indicated that JdV will continue his captaincy next year...

I'm not sure how I feel about this TBH. I guess I'm hoping some of our young centers play so well that they can't be ignored. Who to take over the captaincy though remains a question. F Louw maybe?

Who are the guys that are pretty much assured of their place looking forard? Bismarck too hotheaded and possibly Strauss is putting him under pressure (which can only be a good thing!)? Etzebeth too young? Vermeulen, Coetzee and Alberts don't exactly scream captain and blindside and no.8 is a position in SA where any number of guys might force their way into the squad. There is still a race on for positions in the halves... JdV isn't the best in his position IMO and it just seems a bit counterintuitive for your captain to be an outback.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8287922,00.html

Oh shite...

JdV the John Smit of 2012-2015? Hope not...

Oh shite...

JdV the John Smit of 2012-2015? Hope not...

I don't think that will be the case...

for now it's a good move, as we don't have a viable replacement (yet). for all we know some guy out of nowhere comes in and shows what a real natural born leader he is, then HM will take it from there.

There is no need to cause a stir in the Bok-community with talks that JDV won't be captain, it will leave more questions than answers. HM is just buying time with that statement, taking as much pressure off the team as possible.

I really, really hope you're right. Really curious as well about who it will be. If it wasn't for BdP I'd say Adriaan Strauss. Then again I'm a Cheetahs boy.

I don't think that will be the case...

for now it's a good move, as we don't have a viable replacement (yet). for all we know some guy out of nowhere comes in and shows what a real natural born leader he is, then HM will take it from there.

There is no need to cause a stir in the Bok-community with talks that JDV won't be captain, it will leave more questions than answers. HM is just buying time with that statement, taking as much pressure off the team as possible.

The problem with players showing their leadership abilities is that our current and likely staying leaders at the franchizes aren't up to it any more;

Schalla or Juan Smith would have likely been shoe-ins for the captaincy but both have been out and I can't see them coming in now and lasting to 2015. Spies, Watson *pukes* and Daniel...s are simply just not test players. JdV and A Strauss who have done captain duties while Smith and Burger were out aren't the best players in their position in the country. How will a youngster come from out of nowhere if they aren't captain at their franchise?

I say give it to Flouw! He might as well be captain at Bath, has the experience, has form and fits in perfectly with our requirements. Giving the fetcher the captaincy also gives him some extra form of 'protection' when it comes to refs.

Last edited:
The problem with players showing their leadership abilities is that our current and likely staying leaders at the franchizes aren't up to it any more;

Schalla or Juan Smith would have likely been shoe-ins for the captaincy but both have been out and I can't see them coming in now and lasting to 2015. Spies, Watson *pukes* and Daniel...s are simply just not test players. JdV and A Strauss who have done captain duties while Smith and Burger were out aren't the best players in their position in the country. How will a youngster come from out of nowhere if they aren't captain at their franchise?

I say give it to Flouw! He might as well be captain at Bath, has the experience, has form and fits in perfectly with our requirements. Giving the fetcher the captaincy also gives him some extra form of 'protection' when it comes to refs.

Yeah Flouw could be the best option, but then he must come back to SA!! the planning will be much easier if your Captain and Coach are in the same country.

Yeah Flouw could be the best option, but then he must come back to SA!! the planning will be much easier if your Captain and Coach are in the same country.

Agree, would be good to have him back at the Stormers. We can start winning some Super trophies then :p

Can we please remove Ewells now and replace him with Isiekwe....

And Farrell should no longer be in the squad.

And....this might be controversial...I'm still not sold on Sinkler..

Can we please remove Ewells now and replace him with Isiekwe....

And Farrell should no longer be in the squad.

And....this might be controversial...I'm still not sold on Sinkler..
Yeah, this new guy "Dan Cole" could do a job? I think Parling and Palmer can do better than Ewels but neither are fantastic either.

Latest posts