• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: England vs South Africa, 24/11/2012

If Biggs is the cream of English wingers when Sharples is dropped for Brown (out of position) and JSD can't get a sniff... Really?
It's no coincidence that Sharples had the worst defensive game I've seen him have whilst appearing on the left wing. He was clearly uncomfortable. I don't think this is the reasoning behind Biggs being called up, but there's definitely merit in picking a left winger to play on the left wing. In which case, when you've got injuries to JSD, Benjamin and Monye, options were pretty much limited to Biggs or Varndell.

Besides, Biggs is a good player, turned great player considering his recent form.

Well, JSD is out for months with a shoulder injury.
From what I've seen, Biggs isn't a bad player at all.

Does anyone think that we've panicking a bit here? We did just get to within a point of the second best team in world rugby 12 months after we crashed out to the RWC. I find it encouraging that everyone's talking about how England could/should have won rather than having to sit here reflecting on a battering.

Forwards looked in good form (with the exception of the line out) and with the return of Hartley, Croft and maybe Lawes will look much better. The backs are still an issue but I guess we have to hope that either Farrel learns something from lining up against DC next week or that Burns gets a miracle start...

Ah, I didn't realise JSD is out again. However a bad sharples is still better then Biggs at his best. For that matter, why not Short from Sarries if defensive strength is the key factor in England eyes?

There's not a single part of Biggs' game which is standout. Not Awful as such, but not ever worthy of special praise either. He's like Donald.

Biggs is slower then Diggin.

No he's not :huh:
Biggs is pretty quick, not the fastest in the league but nowhere near the slowest.
Diggin's on par with Cueto.

I don't understand your beef with him, he's a very good winger.
Is it because Stuart Barnes likes him?

Nope. It's because he's over-rated rubbish. Like far too many are.

My issue with Biggs, apart from the B**h thing, is his hair. Get it cut ya feckin nancy boy....then again he is a back.

Shallow I know

I think Biggs is great and would have him in my (or any other) club team anytime but International...................... only as the alternative should we have to suffer Brown again on the wing.

Someone said Brown did not have a bad game......er what did he do that was good enough to say he was not bad!!?

Someone else said "apart from the lineout the scrum had a good game"?

There are usually more line outs that scrums and they are an attacking option (to kick penalties into the corner with a reasonable chance to win the ball) that is lost to England at present with Youngs. No one kicks for a scrum?

Besides, as previously said, the scrum was made to look good by some outrageous assistance from Owens! That said, with Hartley back, Corbs back to fitness, Lawes as an option with Parling and Launchbury and SL taking the decision to replace the Captain thus strengthening the back line, there is a good basis to build on there!

Anyone who thinks that England were close to a win, because they lost by a point, is decieviing themselves. The Boks, and I hate to say this, had the game under control knowing that England had no weapons in their armoury that could generate anything other than a penalty and were wise enough to see that, as time came close, giving a penalty rather than even a thin possiblity of a try was an option and Louw took it on the 22!

Anyone who thinks that England were close to a win, because they lost by a point, is decieviing themselves.

We were though, because their try came from our mistake and they looked as likely as crossing the whitewash as we did.

Like I said at the time: a draw would've been the best result as neither team deserved to win.

Just seen there's been a couple of changes to the squad:

Corbisiero may be out, he's not training this week but may be fit for the weekend, Nick Wood has been called up as a precaution.
Flood injured, Burns in.
Monye injured, Biggs in.
Courtney Lawes back in contention after turning out for Saints on the weekend.

Strange when getting a number of injuries could arguably strengthen the squad!

If all are injured, I'd go for:

1. Wood
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Parling
6. Haskell
7. Wood
8. Morgan
9. Care
10. Burns
11. Biggs (only left wing in the squad)
12. Tuilagi
13. Joseph
14. Sharples (back where he belongs!)
15. Goode

16. Paice
17. Vunipola
18. Wilson
19. Lawes
20. Robshaw
21. Youngs
22. Farrell
23. Ashton

Would likely get tonked, but it's a step in the right direction in the backs and the backrow, in my opinion. Won't happen, however. We'll probably see the same 15 as last week, but with bench players promoted where there's injuries (so Vunipola and Farrell starting).

^ Any other test in these AIs, or Six Nations, or in the summer, and I'd have gone for the same squad (from this EPS). But I really don't want Burns, Joseph, Sharples etc. to be on the receiving end of a walloping. Better for the current players to play this series out and have a final shot to prove themselves, with players like Burns having a 25 minute cameo to show what England have been missing and make a case for the Six Nations.

Last edited:
We were though, because their try came from our mistake and they looked as likely as crossing the whitewash as we did.

Like I said at the time: a draw would've been the best result as neither team deserved to win.

I do think though that if that try wasn't scored we would have scored somewhere during that period in any case. Just that afterwards we just stopped trying to play rugby and were happy enough to just back our defense and discipline (certainly too early). IE you can't say that a team that dropped a gear would have dropped that gear in different circumstances.

I do think though that if that try wasn't scored we would have scored somewhere during that period in any case. Just that afterwards we just stopped trying to play rugby and were happy enough to just back our defense and discipline (certainly too early). IE you can't say that a team that dropped a gear would have dropped that gear in different circumstances.

Yeah our guys are dead-tired. this was the last push before a deserved holiday. The Boks played 12 tests this year, after a gruelling Super Rugby Tournament, and a Currie Cup...

they went for a try, just to get in front and from there onwards they went into relax mode.

Yeah our guys are dead-tired. this was the last push before a deserved holiday. The Boks played 12 tests this year, after a gruelling Super Rugby Tournament, and a Currie Cup...

they went for a try, just to get in front and from there onwards they went into relax mode.

Yeah I don't have a problem with the amount of test being played but I am all for the Springboks to get rotated in SR and not play at all in Currie cup unless they are coming back from an injury. It'll give the youngsters more exposure as well. That said I think there is a place for the Boks getting on abit in years to play CC to keep the profile of the comp up and maybe have their experience rub off a bit on the lads around them. I agree with HM that central contracts for the top guys are necessary though for their proper management.

Yeah I don't have a problem with the amount of test being played but I am all for the Springboks to get rotated in SR and not play at all in Currie cup unless they are coming back from an injury. It'll give the youngsters more exposure as well. That said I think there is a place for the Boks getting on abit in years to play CC to keep the profile of the comp up and maybe have their experience rub off a bit on the lads around them. I agree with HM that central contracts for the top guys are necessary though for their proper management.

The central contracts is a must!! the Boks need some more rest otherwise burnout will be our downfall. Super Rugby Teams announce 50-man squads now, they can just as well use all of them and rest the Boks for a bunch of games. Like vs The Kings, Force, Rebels

Latest posts