7. Wood/Armitage
9. Care
10. Flood/Burns
11. Tuilagi/Ashton
12. Tuilagi/Farrel
13. Jonny May/Joseph
14. Brown/Foden
15. Goode/Brown/Foden

May I ask why the English fans seem to be against Waldrom at the moment.
Granted I don't want England games with quite the same intensity as I do SA games, but he's always impressed me when he's played, in June I would go so far as to say he was one of your stand-out players, someone who could be relied upon to get consistent go forward ball with his strong carrying.
Drop of form?

edit: Although in retrospect I could be thinking of Morgan...

Last edited:
Peat, personally my suggestion to shift Robshaw across isn't based on me thnking hes inadequate at 7, it's not even about him at all for me....it's about trying to get Wood in over Johnson. I don't mean any disrespect to Johnson at all, very good player, but I like what Wood brings - an athleticism and an alert rugby brain.

As regards who plays where I guess 'd be happy with either - on the face of it both Robshaw and Wood now play 7 for their clubs. But Perhaps I agree with you Peat - why shift Robshaw now when he's been shoe-horned in at 7 both for quins and England. Looking back, Tom Wood played 6 for England in the six nations 2011 and was a key player in that tournament win - he can't be that bad there! Also, he's been coming on in place of Johnson at 6 and doing well there. Either way, I'd like to see him given a go.

This is pretty much my school of thought. It's not about dropping Robshaw from 7, more of a case of getting Wood in ( who I believe would be England captain if not for injuries suffered, again, not saying that's what I want or that Robshaw hasn't done a good job as skip )
I have always had a little preference for Robshaw over Wood at 6 and Wood over Robshaw at 7 too!

From memory I thought Wood was at 7 in the 6 nations back in 2011? Didn't he get man of the match in Cardiff when we beat the Welsh that year, whilst playing against 7 and facing direct competition that night with the 'greatest, most bestest NH openside and lions captain elect'? Maybe my memory is on the wane!

Morgan is actually English.
No, not one of the players playing currently for England is actually English. You probably haven't been reading these forums lately. Also, all the All Blacks are Fijian.

Originally Posted by SomeOke

edit: Although in retrospect I could be thinking of Morgan...
It's very easy to see which one is which. Waldrom is a fat kiwi, while Morgan is a fat welshman.
Morgan's as Welsh as I am (read: not in the slightest).

Waldrom's had a drop off in form, but he's a very one dimensional player anyway (though he's very good at that one thing) - give him the ball and hell steam roll forwards, but don't expect him to pass or catch the thing.
He's had two test starts now and not really performed so time to give someone else a chance.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Vermaak, Mapoe, Rhule, Franco... 4 players who got a free trip to Europe and got business seats to the Bok games... What a waste to bring these players if you're not using them. Not even on the bench...

This is pretty much my school of thought. It's not about dropping Robshaw from 7, more of a case of getting Wood in ( who I believe would be England captain if not for injuries suffered, again, not saying that's what I want or that Robshaw hasn't done a good job as skip )
I have always had a little preference for Robshaw over Wood at 6 and Wood over Robshaw at 7 too!

From memory I thought Wood was at 7 in the 6 nations back in 2011? Didn't he get man of the match in Cardiff when we beat the Welsh that year, whilst playing against 7 and facing direct competition that night with the 'greatest, most bestest NH openside and lions captain elect'? Maybe my memory is on the wane!

Johnson shoehorned him into the 6 shirt for those 6N while he was (still is) a standout 7 for his club. Effectively it meant he and Haskell both operated in a "6.5" position.

Interesting development : http://www.rfu.com/news/2012/november/newsarticles/201112_squad_update

Players of note sent back to clubs are : Waldrom, Sharples, Johnson and Marler
Retained : Haskell, Morgan, Corbs, JJ

Happy with this decision, didn't expect this with hints of conservatism of late.

Feel sorry for Sharples though. Guessing this means Brown on the wing? Though Tuilagi on the wing with JJ in the center might be good.

Last edited:
Disappointed for Johnson and Sharples - thought they might get dropped to the bench but not given the weekend off.

Christ. Say what you like about Lancaster but that was ballsy... don't think this can be entirely about form... I think he's trying to use the experience players gained in South Africa - that's the only reason, bearing in mind form, that I can think of for Lancaster to be keeping Brown ahead of Sharples. He knows the importance of physicality, hence Haskell... I suppose for Morgan it is a case of form... hat-trick against welsh and all that.

6. Robshaw 7. Wood
and
6. Wood 7. Robshaw
are the same thing. It changes slightly where they are in the scrum and that's all. A guy doesn't approach a breakdown differently because of the number he wears on his back.

Why is Botha being listed? Injury precaution?

So which not-winger is going to be the winger this week?

The openside being quicker is crucial when closing down the fly half or scrummie.

Etzebeth not guilty, ready for England

by Gavin Rich 20 November 2012, 22:39

The Springboks received the news they wanted to on Tuesday night as Eben Etzebeth was found not guilty of any wrong-doing in last weekend’s test against Scotland in Edinburgh.
After a marathon disciplinary hearing, the Etzebeth defence of alleged eye-gouging at Murrayfield was successful, and he will be part of the Bok pack that tackles England at Twickenham on Saturday.
Etzebeth was cited by English independent citing officer Alan Mansel for an incident in the Murrayfield test which he interpreted as an attempt to attack Scotland flyhalf Greig Laidlaw’s eyes but which the Scotland player himself, and the Scotland management, did not believe was driven by any malicious intent.
The not guilty verdict delivered late on Tuesday night surely calls into question the wisdom of having officials who hail from countries that a team is going to play next on tour acting as citing commissioners.
Few who saw the incident replayed on video or on the field ever doubted that Etzebeth would be cleared, and it would be understandable if the Boks went onto the field at Twickenham on Saturday motivated by their anger at the perceived intent behind the citing.
Etzebeth did not train on Tuesday so the citing did succeed in disrupting the Boks' build-up.
There were further disruptions on Tuesday, and even with Etzebeth being cleared it still looks like the Boks might be facing an uphill struggle in the final test match of 2012, a game which coach Heyneke Meyer has admitted could be the defining one of the first year of his tenure.
Only Andries Strauss and Juandre Kruger of the anticipated starting tight five for Twickenham sat out the training session at the Latymer School in the White City suburb of London, with Jannie du Plessis being managed after a long year and the Bok management waiting on loosehead Gurthro Steenkamp.
The former Bulls prop pulled up in training on Monday and his condition has posed enough concern to coach Meyer for him to call for JC van Rensburg to fly from South Africa to provide cover.
Beast Mtawarira, the first-choice loosehead, had already flown home, and on Tuesday night CJ van der Linde followed him after being ruled out with the hamstring injury he picked up at training on Monday.
Should Steenkamp not be cleared to play, Heinke van der Merwe, who played well when he came on as a replacement in the first tour match against Ireland in Dublin, will be wearing the No 1.
But in reality it may not be a good idea to read too much into who trained and who didn’t on Tuesday. The Boks are battered and bruised after a long year and Meyer has already said he intends managing the players through the week.
Jean de Villiers for instance hardly trained last week because of flu and yet still played against Scotland, and it was a similar story with Du Plessis.
The bad news is that JP Pietersen still took no part in training on Tuesday and is starting to look an unlikely starter for Twickenham.
Lwazi Mvovo, who did run on Tuesday, is the likely replacement on the right wing. The Bok team is to be announced at noon SA time on Wednesday.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/121120/Etzebeth_not_guilty_ready_for_England

Game on, retribution will be shift and decisive

Last edited:
True, although I wonder why Croft never starts at 7 in that case. Perhaps rugby traditionalism.

Might be JJ on the wing as well.
Hopefully, he's a far better option there than Brown is (though in the centres is where he's best).

Feel for Sharples, but glad to see Morgan in.
Feel pretty neutral about Johnson's exclusion, on the one hand I do rate him, but I want Wood to start at 6 (or 7) so Haskell being on the bench offers cover for more positions and more impact as well. Will be good to see Corbs back in the mix too.

Disappointed that Burns isn't there, but not surprised.

Just noticed that Botha hasn't been sent back to Sarries - hopefully he will be!

Last edited:
All the citing commisioner did was **** off Etzebeth and give him a day off training to rest and to brood...

I pity the English. Have you seen that boy-man up close?

All the citing commisioner did was **** off Etzebeth and give him a day off training to rest and to brood...

I pity the English. Have you seen that boy-man up close?

Lol, but ******* him off might not be such a good thing, Sharpe provoked him and got a reaction, hope this doesn't make him too aggressive...

Anyways, Bok-team will be announced at noon!

Latest posts