• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland vs New Zealand 24/11/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont think it will for sure ireland have improved alot since and that lost was just unfortunate for ireland

66 -10 to Ireland.

Dat psychologically frail AB side...

aahh, I see that pill's been hard to swallow for some....:rolleyes:
lol what? Sometimes you go on about stuff I don't even know the reference to.

I was just teasing mate ;) - Ireland by 9 (ABs without Woodcock + carter + frailty = 20-11) :snicker...

Ireland's injury news from yesterday - McFadden out, Sexton a doubt, O'Driscoll a doubt, Kearney sr a doubt. Cave and Jones called up to the squad. Ideal prep...

BOD won't miss this game, read an article where he said he was fine anyway.

Well, if you recall that 22-19 game came a week after Ireland got beaten 42-10, so maybe, just maybe...D'arcy's beard to score four tries.

The ABs really need to focus on their aerial game this week. Our ability to get the ball back from our own kick-offs (largely through Read) and box-kicks (largely through Ben Smith) has been a real asset for us this season, but we were hopeless in this area vs England. For some reason we continued to kick-off deep (instead of using the short, flat kicks that have been so successful all season), while Smiths box-kicks were usually going a bit far (and in any case the chase was poor). For this reason I suspect we may see Jane back in the starting lineup (at the expense of Piutau) as he is exceptional under the high ball. It would be harsh on Piutau (who has been in great form) but the ABs selectors do like 'resting' young players after a few starts in a row (e.g. Savea last season).

I don't expect to see many (if any) other changes to the starting XV apart from those enforced by injury (Crockett for Woodcock, and Cruden for Carter). I expect we will see Perenara on the bench, as I think he is the only one in the squad yet to feature so far. We may also see Hore involved somewhere (in what would in all likelihood be his final test).

Last edited:
lol what? Sometimes you go on about stuff I don't even know the reference to.

I was just teasing mate ;) - Ireland by 9 (ABs without Woodcock + carter + frailty = 20-11) :snicker...

well I'm joking too. And I'm referring to the "AB defense" thread where the supposed AB psychological frailty is mentioned about a hundred times, thought maybe that's what you were referencing.

anyways:
Brian O'Driscoll, the "eternal optimist":
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9032567,00.html

Just shows what an absolute gent Carter is, even if the kid is from the Gick. That makes it almost charity to be honest. Is fairly mad how much attention he's got now though.

Just shows what an absolute gent Carter is, even if the kid is from the Gick. That makes it almost charity to be honest. Is fairly mad how much attention he's got now though.

Well you play for them now as well...

In more interesting news, the best rugby team in the world met the best football team in the world. Cian O'Sullivan told Ruchie he was a little baby *****, that he couldn't kick a 45, that he couldn't field a high ball and that he's ugly and will never compare to Cian's rugged good looks.... Seriously, Cian O'Sullivan is easily the most handsome man in sport, get some tissues before you look him up or things will get messy.

All Ireland needs to do is lineout form the 22, and drive to the try line. The ABs will commit pens, sure, but keep at it and score.

The English and French did it pretty well, and the Saffas just rape us in that department. Don't know why more teams don't go for more lineouts in our own 22 when they get the chance.

All Ireland needs to do is lineout form the 22, and drive to the try line. The ABs will commit pens, sure, but keep at it and score.

The English and French did it pretty well, and the Saffas just rape us in that department. Don't know why more teams don't go for more lineouts in our own 22 when they get the chance.

While I don't disagree that rolling mauls can be effective at times against the ABs, in general I think we defend against them pretty well. If I recall correctly we have only officially conceded a single try from a rolling maul this season (1st test vs SA), though in all likelihood England scored a try against us last weekend in this manner (even if it was unsighted). When you consider the number of mauls we have had to defend this season (a lot) this is not too bad! Obviously I have no stats to back this up, but I believe we probably have to defend at least as many rolling mauls close to the tryline than any other top international side. This is because we have a habit of getting big leads against sides, forcing them to turn down 3 points in the hope of getting 7.

Because of the way we attempt to stop rolling mauls ("swimming" through the middle to isolate the ball carrier) we do get penalized a lot, as there are a lot of grey areas here. Basically we either stop the maul dead (and often force a turnover) or get penalized - very seldom do opposing sides get over the try line. Obviously there is a risk that we will concede a yellow card for repeated infringements, but so far we have been stopping the mauls legally (in the eyes of the referee) at a high enough rate that we seldom get penalized numerous times in succession. So while it could be an area Ireland look to attack the ABs, it is not an area I am overly worried about.

This is because we have a habit of getting big leads against sides, forcing them to turn down 3 points in the hope of getting 7.

It's also because the surest way to attack the All-Blacks is through girth, for the teams who happen to have a bit of it. England, France, South Africa are teams who don't have great attack at the moment, and certainly can't score fluid, contact-avoiding tries on the AB's because of the quality of their one-on-one and team defense. Except if it's Habana for S.A.'s case.
So those teams, those European-style teams I want to say will use the maul, it's effective, easier to create than risky, creative open field running and it's good meters each time. I mean you don't see the Aussies use it too often.
And Ireland scored their try against France this year with a maul...so surely they'll be using it against NZ this weekend.

Well it seems that Luke Marshall has been dropped from the squad for Sunday has he has been named in Ulster's starting lineup for tomorrow night (along with Tuohy, Trimble and Cave). I think its a bit harsh as, apart from that missed tackle, he was one of Ireland's more promising backs on the day with several line breaks.

It would seem that, if Sexton isn't fit, the reason for dropping Marshall will be to have Jackson starting 10 with Darcy 12 and Madigan on the bench to cover both positions. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Last edited:
Apparently Schmidt has said he likes surrounding Jackson with experience when he plays. Which sorta makes sense, although you'd have thought playing him next to the guy he's played the majority of his elite rugby with would also make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts