• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland vs New Zealand 24/11/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Most pretentious signature"

Hahaha - Considering how many people on here attach various "awards" to their signature; that's a absolute beauty.

.. though possibly some of the other member's signatures listing their various "awards" might actually rival you for that ***le ;)

"Most pretentious signature"

Hahaha - Considering how many people on here attach various "awards" to their signature; that's a absolute beauty.

.. though possibly some of the other member's signatures listing their various "awards" might actually rival you for that ***le ;)
I'd list it on my résumé...

...Not that I can though, being award less.

Maybe I'll make an award, the Tony Brown Award for being a solid bloke.

So, a team doesn't deserve to win when the ref has an influence only? Ok, got it.

So then, just to open the can of worms, the SA vs NZ in NZ comes to mind... But I guess you NZ guys will find another reason to justify the whole "deserving" issue...

Point is, you comment on this thread with a subjective point of view, because it's directed at your team. Myself, as a neutral, approaches this more objectively.

By the way, did you see the article where the bookies paid out the people that betted on Ireland? They also felt that Ireland deserved the win...

You're being subjective too though.

As I said above, if you switched the way the game went (ie NZ was Ireland and scored the 1st 19 points, Ireland scored a last minute winner) none of you so called objective neutrals would be saying NZ deserved to win and Ireland didn't. The whole narrative would be different.

Just to test your definition; lets consider the France v NZ game in the world cup final.

The supposedly one-eyed Joubert (according to a kiwi not 2 pages from this post) whistled France out of it.

I assume then that you'd agree with me that France deserved it?

I disagree that France were whistled out of the game. I struggle to see how conceding just 10 penalties could ever be considered whistled out. It's funny because most people I have talked about who thought Joubert was poor in the RWC final thought he was too lenient on the AB's rather than being too harsh on France. When I mention refereeing, of course what I really mean is was the referee inconsistent? If we had lost to Ireland on Monday then the refereeing performance would not be a justifiable excuse - Ireland simply took advantage of Owens' interpretations of the breakdown. I feel that is what we did in the RWC final. If Joubert was more harsh on us then I feel we would have just adapted to his interpretations and won anyway. Besides, it is difficult to quantify who got an advantage at the breakdown in that game. We could both go to that game analyse every breakdown, twist the facts to suit our argument and find 50 breakdowns where Joubert missed penalties. Joubert at least didn't miss anything obvious.

I'm definitely not an objective viewer on this question though. In search of some objectivity I looked here. The conclusion amongst those people were varied some say Joubert favoured NZ; others said he was poor but favoured no-one and others still thought he was fine. I don't think it was at least clear and obvious that Joubert refereed poorly. If it was the case that Joubert whistled France out of the game (which is something I haven't heard anyone claim before) then France deserved to win that game, of course. France of course were very lucky to be in the final and I think it would have been a shame had they won but yeah they would have deserved it.

Just gonna throw my opinions in short in the heat of the battle here;

- One of the most exciting and dramatic games I've watched
- Ireland really blew NZ off the park in the first part of the game which was so impressive and I don't think anyone expected it
- We should have won the game if only Sexton made that straightforward kick
- I don't think Ireland deserved to win because a team so dominant to start with should really have closed that game out, and missed opportunities is just poor execution
- Deserving isn't a good word to use in this context, but Ireland certainly weren't rewarded at all for their monumental effort
- I'm not saying this about the majority but I just find some NZers not very gracious in victory.
- I hope this is a step for Ireland and I think Schmidt deserves some credit

Well done NZ, you can never say you're out of the game and further proving why you're the best sports team in the world.

Just gonna throw my opinions in short in the heat of the battle here;

- One of the most exciting and dramatic games I've watched
- Ireland really blew NZ off the park in the first part of the game which was so impressive and I don't think anyone expected it
- We should have won the game if only Sexton made that straightforward kick
- I don't think Ireland deserved to win because a team so dominant to start with should really have closed that game out, and missed opportunities is just poor execution
- Deserving isn't a good word to use in this context, but Ireland certainly weren't rewarded at all for their monumental effort
- I'm not saying this about the majority but I just find some NZers not very gracious in victory.
- I hope this is a step for Ireland and I think Schmidt deserves some credit

Well done NZ, you can never say you're out of the game and further proving why you're the best sports team in the world.

Fair play Ulster.
And you're right, and I agree; some Kiwis are really awful winners.
It has been a real source of embarassment for me on a couple of occasions when I have had family from the UK here during rugby season. The 2005 Lions tour sticks in my mind.

But I can say that about some Australian, and (noticibly) some South African Supporters.
They can be unsufferable when they win too.

Heated debate! Bookies must be Irish ! People will believe want makes them feel better.A come back against the odds . Those bookies should pay double on those who betted on the kiwi 's.
Heneke Meyer had been quotes as saying the northern hemisphere conditions suit the boks style of play better the the AB's.He justifies this by the way the boks easily won their games whilst The AB's laboured.People will believe what they want to make them feel better!

Oh dear this thread has turned into a debate over semantics.

The only objective fact that has come out of all this, is that this All Black side is Legendary. They battled adversity, through courage and exceptional character they prevailed over all who opposed them.

As for your suggestion that McCaw was insincere in the post-match interview, I disagree completely. He's brutally honest when opposition teams play poorly and does not give credit when they play well, unless they truly were brilliant (he gave no credit to Ireland after the 22-19 loss last year, for example).

McCaw tries to be a bit arrogant and cocky but its not in his nature. It must be the sports psychology thing because NZ's in general are not like this, its normally associated with Australians but maybe we have taken that mantle. His speech after the match had undertones of 'we won, stuff Ireland, we're the best, what was the score' but you could see in his face he didn't mean it - I genuinely feel he is getting sick of being asked if that was a lucky victory, not just the Irish match but any match when a team comes to play against NZ but fall at the last hurdle. Richies like 'next please'

Last edited:
I'm keen to see if Ireland can produce the same kind of controlled hostility in the 6 Nations.
If they can keep it up they will be a monster to play against.
Is Stephen Ferris going to come back to Ireland?
He's another monster on the blind side.

I'm keen to see if Ireland can produce the same kind of controlled hostility in the 6 Nations.
If they can keep it up they will be a monster to play against.
Is Stephen Ferris going to come back to Ireland?
He's another monster on the blind side.

I certainly hope so, his knees are beyond ****ed though and he's been out for a long long time but Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip could match any and outplay most back rows.

On his day fit and firing Ferris is a monster among monsters, world class and a terrifying hulk of a creature.
Bags not have to tackle that mongrel.
Might have to do a Qayde Cooper and retire to the wing when I see him coming through the 10 channel... Lol

I certainly hope so, his knees are beyond ****ed though and he's been out for a long long time but Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip could match any and outplay most back rows.

It's not his knee which was ****ed, it was his ankle. 3 ops on it. He says he's not feeling any pain it it for the first time in 13 months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25045168

That was class rich taff....

Ferris on the way back? In good form with no pain?
That spells danger for everyone Ireland meets in the 6 Nations.

For the 6 nations Ferris, Donnacha Ryan, Iain Henderson, Tommy O'Donnell, Henry, Zebo, Earls, Gilroy and McFadden are all available to come back after being injured. I don't think Ferris will make it but Henry and O'Donnell will help the backrow. Theres a number of players who might also be called up like Martin Moore, Marmion etc. With a bit of luck with injuries Ireland will have a strong squad now with options to rotate. Hopefully they perform consistently and Schmidt drops any underperformers.

Good lord....we have had the ref and the pitches and the number of tests played and finally we have had the old tummy bug...................AND THEY WON..........what on earth would they whine about if they had lost as, indeed, they should have against Ireland!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts