• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: Wales v Argentina, 10/11/2012

Lloyd Peers has been called up to train with the squad to act as Second Row cover. Wales team will be announced Wednesday lunchtime.

That is an odd one! Considering Lou Reed has been involved in recent squads you'd have thought it would be him, although I'm glad it isn't because he's not good enough. Pity the Blues haven't been playing Cook, they've been playing Down but he's been struggling a little.

Lloyd Peers has been called up to train with the squad to act as Second Row cover. Wales team will be announced Wednesday lunchtime.

Did not see that one coming! Doris has been decent for Bath, but I'd rather bring in a young player.
Two years ago we'd be calling JT right now.

We may disagree on how well he played v Argentina, but you make a good point here. Here we all are saying that Gethin is lacking match fitness due to a lack of gametime, and we want to drop Gethin. Gethin will get better the more he plays, so I'd be happy to see him start. Have Paul James cover his actual position of looshead off the bench though.
I could understand this if there weren't any alternatives, but Paul James is a very good player who, imo, is underused by Wales. Gethin is a decent prop to bring on with 20 to go, and he can regain form, if not fitness, that way. As far as match fitness goes, if he's not match fit because he's not starting at his club, then that's a problem he's going to have to sort out at his club. Wales can't really afford to spend time in every international window bringing him back to match fitness.

Although there's only a year and a half between them, I suspect Paul James is likely to overtake Gethin. Gethin's edge over Paul James has always been his loose work, but age will take that away from Gethin faster than it will take away Paul James' ability in the scrum. For now, letting them both settle into the squad with a degree of rotation seems the best way to go about it.

Steve James did the Telegraph :lol: ... Steve you were a fine cricketer but a rugby correspondant ....

Surprised that Paul Rees at the Telegraph has not written something about Wales in detail, arguably one of the best rugby journalists out there.

Why do the Fail not just put a list instead of a rubbish Powerpoint of pictures? Ratings are basically the same across the board.

The Argus ratings were probably the most accurate, but harsh on Jenkins. Not at his best, but worse than Rees, Alun-Wyn, Knoyle, Priestland and Roberts? No. Sensible comments otherwise.

One player who hasn't been mentioned much here is Ian Evans. His performance was extremely disappointing considering he's one player that's been playing reasonably well at regional level. Did his job in the lineout, but not much else. He really needs to keep his tackling down, must have given away 5 or so penalties for high tackles this season alone, including two in one match which resulted in a red-card.

The Argus ratings were probably the most accurate, but harsh on Jenkins. Not at his best, but worse than Rees, Alun-Wyn, Knoyle, Priestland and Roberts? No. Sensible comments otherwise.

One player who hasn't been mentioned much here is Ian Evans. His performance was extremely disappointing considering he's one player that's been playing reasonably well at regional level. Did his job in the lineout, but not much else. He really needs to keep his tackling down, must have given away 5 or so penalties for high tackles this season alone, including two in one match which resulted in a red-card.
Seems the Draggstastic ratings were yet again the most accurate ;)

I love this line: [On Josh Turnbull, but goes for any other player in the world] not fit to lace Dan Lydiate's boots at the moment.

I have had enough of ****ing Scarletfever et al saying Lydiate tackles but should do more...

kPz30.jpg

All the best lads ... Edwards is in a right cheerful mood.

Two welsh blokes having a good chat about the grand slam. The english bloke stood on his own with no mates and a face on. I had the exact same experience in Llandudno when Wales beat England. :)

That face is a face that shows that there will be lots of pain this week!!! Loud noises and Pain!!!

Camacho has now converted me to rate him much higher after this match, he must be the best tackler in the world for a guy who weighs 80kg, despite not matching them in size he shut down Cuthbert and North. And also did a great finish for his try. He's still not going to be a winger who have a great try scoring ratio, or a winger who will single handedly change a game in attack, but he's proved his worth in the side.

Also Tiesi defended very bravely against the giant Welshmen. He like Camacho, is still never going to be a centre who cuts through defences and makes line breaks. But he can tackle very bravely.

Sanchez starting 10 should also be the way forward for Argentina for at least the rest of this tour. Although he messed up the first two kicks, he is a better goal kicker than Contepomi (why did Phelan decide to start kicking with him initially?), Rodríguez, Bosch or Hernández.

One negative point for Argentina though. Guiñazu throws to the lineout were on several occasions not straight, he got away with it in this match, but he won't in every match.
lol Camacho is the truth! He won't have a great try-scoring ratio because he plays for Argentina although now they've changed their centres from the one-dimensional Fernandez and Bosch they have begun to get at least some ball to their wings in space which has paid dividends in terms of tries, Hernandez's distribution joining the line from the back also helps.

I can understand Phelan's Contepomi kicking call too, I believe he landed his one shot. Massive shame he couldn't continue. Sanchez was decent but I didn't see much different from the usual Argentina 10s, a lot of kicking and some good drop-goals.

No more broken head, the guilty of the defeat of Wales is this!!
animal-curioso-8.jpg

I tell you this critter is bad luck ...

Ouch, Wales were very poor, strength in depth is not there...Argentina were much the better team. With the All Blacks looming things look desperate, lets hope the Kiwis rest their main men in readiness for theis biggestv test at Twickenham.

Ouch, Wales were very poor, strength in depth is not there...Argentina were much the better team. With the All Blacks looming things look desperate, lets hope the Kiwis rest their main men in readiness for theis biggestv test at Twickenham.

Didn't they already rest a few key men against Scotland!? The luxury of being so far ahead of the rest of the pack..

Alum Wyn Jones and Josh Turnbull both rules out for rest of the Autumn International series.

Latest posts