• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Wales vs. South Africa 09/11/13

I know, but this sort of thing isn't suppose to happen. The Boks had Malherbe and Guthro available even after the yellow card was given. It's just strange to see 2 props get injured, and one in the sin bin.

Ah OK. I suppose Rolland should have realised that Wales had already lost two props and that yellow carding both players was just counter productive. I don't think he has much of a feel for a game when he reff's, and that was also evident in Louw's yellow card. It was a hygely physical game where little things are going to happen. Louw didn't do anything that dangerous or reckless, so imo the correct call in such a physical game was a penalty and a talking to. In a less physical game, where the incident would have been more uncalled for, then fine, a yellow would have been justified.

Fact remains it could have been a different tale had Paul James not agreed to play at tight head. Could have had a second half full on uncontested scrums.

Would James have been able to refuse? He's played a lot of international rugby at tighthead after all, as has Jenkins.

Last edited:
Wales have been lucky with injuries over the past number of years. Their players now are starting to be overplayed so expect injuries to build up for the foreseeable future. The more players that sign for English and French clubs the bigger the concern for Wales.

Wales have been lucky with injuries over the past number of years. Their players now are starting to be overplayed so expect injuries to build up for the foreseeable future. The more players that sign for English and French clubs the bigger the concern for Wales.

How have they been lucky? I take it you missed last year when Wales were forced into picking Lou Reed, Aaron Shingler and Scott Andrews in the starting XV. Or the previous years November tests where notably Paul James has been forced to tighthead numerous times.

900,000 euro................the amount the Welsh are paying the Aussies to turn up at the end of the month..........

How have they been lucky? I take it you missed last year when Wales were forced into picking Lou Reed, Aaron Shingler and Scott Andrews in the starting XV. Or the previous years November tests where notably Paul James has been forced to tighthead numerous times.

The team that faced England in the 6 nations' last game

Wales: Halfpenny; Cuthbert, Davies, Roberts, North; Biggar, Phillips; Jenkins, Hibbard, A Jones, AW Jones, Evans, Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau. Thats near or very near first choice. Roberts played more for Wales than Cardiff which suggests Wales were very lucky or he was being cotton wooled when not playing for Wales.

The team that faced England in the 6 nations' last game

Wales: Halfpenny; Cuthbert, Davies, Roberts, North; Biggar, Phillips; Jenkins, Hibbard, A Jones, AW Jones, Evans, Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau. Thats near or very near first choice. Roberts played more for Wales than Cardiff which suggests Wales were very lucky or he was being cotton wooled when not playing for Wales.

So one game reflects whether a side has been unlucky with injuries over several years does it?

Don't you know Duck Wales are a one game team ... :D

Considering almost any rugby conversation between an Englishman and a Welshman ends up with the Welshman saying "30-3", I'd say your statement is correct. As far as many Welsh supporters go, 30-3 is the only game that determines how Wales are performing.

So one game reflects whether a side has been unlucky with injuries over several years does it?

No but it was the final 6 nations game so the first one I looked at. Ireland were very lucky with injuries when they won the grand slam. Its just an observation and taking nothing away from the team.

In fairness that was the last meaningful game that our full strength team had. The character shown in the other 6 nations games are a big part of it for me too.

That said, I didn't expect us to beat South Africa, mixture of injuries, dodgy form and dodgy selections made too much of a doubt for me pre-game. Same old Wales giving the other side a head start I'm the first 20...
The fact that we dragged it back to a position where we could win it, and it took a dodgy try to put us to bed does give me some confidence for the next 3 games at least...

Considering almost any rugby conversation between an Englishman and a Welshman ends up with the Welshman saying "30-3", I'd say your statement is correct. As far as many Welsh supporters go, 30-3 is the only game that determines how Wales are performing.

Who put 2p in you ...

Sarcasm and all that ...

Who put 2p in you ...

Sarcasm and all that ...

You deny it? Many Welsh people I've talked to about rugby have been incapable of discussing anything about Wales without attempting to use 30-3 as a way to end any conversation about the relative skills between England and Wales.

You deny it? Many Welsh people I've talked to about rugby have been incapable of discussing anything about Wales without attempting to use 30-3 as a way to end any conversation about the relative skills between England and Wales.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist. My comment was sarcastic with Duck, you went all serious.

Well you are only as good as your last game, and in the context of Wales vs England, that was the last one.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist. My comment was sarcastic with Duck, you went all serious.

My knickers aren't twisted at all, fact is what you said was actually true, even if you intended it to be sarcastic. For many Welsh supporters the 30-3 win overrides any issues regarding performance.

Worries me that Wales never looked like scoring..

I don't see why they didn't take 3 points then go for the try either!

Latest posts