Erasmus linked to England top job

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by TheOvalBall, Feb 9, 2020.

1. TheOvalBall

TheOvalBall First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

France

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/erasmus-linked-to-england-top-job/

This is unthinkable really. I guess SARU are waiting for Nienaber to fail to install Deon Davids as the coach. Black coach, black captain. Their dream scenario.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. living sacrifice

living sacrifice First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

Eddie is too stubborn for his own good and the good of the country. He has his strengths but has some obvious weaknesses that he should be challenged on by the RFU.

4. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

He’s so stubborn, he’ll probably refuse to leave when Erasmus enters camp and then subsequently ‘select’ Rassie at 8 (or scrum half)...

5. duncanb

duncanb Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

I can understand if reports are true RE may well fancy a well paid Head Coaching job against the sport v politics which sadly is SA sport at present.Or that is the impression I get as an outsider.
    I would welcome him as an appointment as he is a great coach.
    EJ is always going to be a marmite coach but I think generally he has improved the England national team.

6. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

We will see.

England rugby media and it's fans love to think about what ifs and if those what if's don't happen exactly how they want they will cry and throw their toys out of the pram.
    Sad fact really, they are as stubborn and it's why really you need to be stubborn to succeed.

Rassie will have to decide if extra money will be worth it considering he now has legend status in SA, even with the political situation, not like when Eddie took over a team that couldn't make it out of the pool stages or following a head coach with 47% win rate like he did with AC in SA, this is a team that went to the RWC final, the pressure to win the RWC in 2 years will be enormous.

England rugby isn't exactly a safe job
    5 head coaches in 17 years (+ Rob Andrew as caretaker)
    Same as SA.

It's a poisoned chalice, I guess the big plus would be if it does go wrong you get a bigger pay out.

7. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

8. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Well it's not beneath the RFU, Eddie Jones, John Mitchell, Matt Proudfoot... The last 3 appointments they made was snatching guys who were under contract in SA.

But there were 2 big reports this weekend, and both of them seemed a bit far-fetched to me. 1 report was that Rassie would take over from EJ after 2021. And the other report was that SA would join the 6 Nations after the 2023 RWC.

Seems a bit unreal that both these reports would come out on the same weekend.

9. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Must be a slow news day/weekend in South Africa

10. unrated

unrated First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Sharks

The reports were fueled further by a picture of Rassie meeting the RFU performance director at Murrayfield that's probably also why Rassie, had to make a Twitter account to deny this.

I honestly thought that Twitter account was a parody though! The videos he posted superimposed with this corny inspirational/sad song was seriously tickling my spidey senses to think it was a parody, I was not prepared to think this could come from an official platform but it turned out to be true, yikes. I sincerely hope it was just Rassie not knowing **** about Social media because, oh dear lord if that was one of the Springbok pr guys then fire that guy immediately.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RassieRugby/status/1226528939721531393

He's like sorry for the poor editing, yes this is me! (something a parody account would say) he could have backed it up by posting a video of himself confirming the account, but instead he posted a compilation tribute video of himself with that song, it's highly questionable.

11. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

It was. But the reason why people are up in arms about this, is because of the Newspaper that broke the story first, The Rapport, an Afrikaans Newspaper that only publishes on Sunday. It's a very reliable newspaper. That's why people were worried, and still are....

12. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

I don't think there's any need to worry until the RFU make an official announcement.
    We get linked to every coach in world Rugby. If the press were to be believed then Gatland, Schmidt and Edwards would all be our head coach atm

13. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Perhaps this is right but only a couple of years ago he categorically denied he was leaving Munster to take up the South Africa post.

• Like Like x 1
  14. unrated

unrated First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Sharks

When Eddie Jones had his first press conference as a Stormers coach the rumour of the RFU approaching him sprang up.
    Are you going to accept the England job offer Eddie?

"Mate i woke up with Table mountain in the background, im staying." - Eddie Jones saying something like this about Table Mountain and why he is staying.
    Then one week later it was announced.

The other thing is that as Heineken mentioned, Rapport (The newspaper) are very reliable and accurate, i will even take it further and say i have never seen them report anything that did not turn out to be true when it comes to breaking rugby news, i have had a suspicion that they have undercover informants in the rugby circles because they break stories months in advance and then when SARU finally decides to announce what was reported months ago then is already the worst kept secret out there.

With that said im 99% sure Rassie is stayin. He said it so himself and Rapport did not say that he accepted the offer.

15. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Difference between "snatching" a Club head coach and another International Head Coach.
    I have rarely heard of teams poaching another top teams Head Coach.

For Eddie and Mitchell really the English jobs was a obvious step up.
    Same for Rassie when he was at Munster.

16. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

The fact that Rapport made this revelation, is what is worrying to me. Along with Matt Proudfoot now also in the England coaching setup.

But Rassie has been very honest with the SA public since he returned to SA, and I find no other reason to doubt what he said. The fact that he went so far in creating a twitter account to make a statement about this so quickly after the story broke, makes me a bit more at ease, that Rassie knew that he had to quash this very early, and by using social media he knew it was the fastest way to do it.

The fact that SARU wasn't available for comment, does seem like they either don't know about this, or that they haven't had a discussion with Rassie about this beforehand.

Either way, I think Rassie will be staying, and his plans and ideas will be properly implemented before he leaves (if he does). It's not like him to abandon his post when the work isn't finished.

• Like Like x 1
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!