Erasmus to step down as Bok coach

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
Rassie Erasmus has confirmed that Saturday's World Cup final against England in Yokohama will be his last as Springbok head coach.

Erasmus has served in the dual role of Bok coach and SA Rugby director of rugby since the beginning of 2018. There has been speculation over whether or not he would continue beyond the World Cup and potentially coach the team during the British & Irish Lions tour in 2021.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/erasmus-springbok-coach/

I suppose this is as good a topic to kick off post RWC discussions as any.

I like the 'all in' attitude of Erasmus here. We better win now!

Will be very interesting to see who gets the gig. Personally I am hoping for Eddie Jones (assuming he doesn't completely retire) as he works with the player pool available and their strengths/weaknesses rather than try to enforce any specific 'rugby philosophy'.

Players not making it to another RWC are probably only Beast, Brits, Vermeulen, Louw and Le Roux. What I see as our player pool going forward if we look at a 4 year cycle and aiming for France 2023 and aiming for 4/8 RWC ***les ;) (I'm throwing out players older than 30 ATM):

1: Kitshoff (25)
Out: Beast
In (Maybe): Gqoboka (29)
Coming into his own and arguably SAs form loose head this year having lost out to selection because of Kitsie and Beast being the encumbents and TDT able to pack down both sides of the scrum.

2: Marx (27) / Mbonambi (28)
Out: Brits
In (Maybe): Dweba (23) / Van der Merwe (28)
With Akker van der Merwe at 28 I see Dweba as being more likely to compete for the 3rd hooker spot maybe even higher as I see Dweba coming in as a dynamic bench option going forward.

3: Malherbe (28) / Nyakane (30) / Koch (29) / Du Toit (24) / Louw (24) / Oosthuizen (30)
Only 3 max are going to make it. Will be a tough selection headache but a good problem to have.

4: Etzebeth (28) / Snyman (24)

5: De Jager (26) / Mostert (28)
In (Maybe): Van der Mescht (20)
Can JJ mix it at a higher level? Probably. We've seen enough Wu20 now to see the stand outs there do carry on at test level. Is he more of a 4? Can we have 2x dual 4/5 locks in Snyman and VdM rather than a traditional 4 and 5? Mostert first to drop? The Sharks are absolutely going to fast track him as they are short some truely world class locks.

6: Coetzee (28) / Smith (23)
Out: Louw
In (Maybe): Van Staden (24)
I am moving Kolisi to 8. I'm not sure we continue to carry Smith. Surely we bring Van Staden in ahead of SMith going forward? Smith is superb at SR level but that seemingly does not translate to test level (unless we play a vastly different game) so if he is out, maybe we have space for back up at blindside/8 in the form of probably JL du Preez (24) or Ruan Ackermann (23)?

7: Du Toit (27)

8: Kolisi (28)
Out: Vermeulen
My first shifting a player. With Vermeulen out we are short of a world class 8. I can see Kolisi picking up the carrying duties of Vermeulen with aplomb, especially as the loosies we have around can fullfill more of a traditional openside role. At least, more so than Kolisi. Might bring some better balance to our loose forwards seeing as we will be losing Vermeulen's fetching ability.

9: De Klerk (28) / Jantjies (23) / Reinach (29)
We have three excellent running 9s. Someone needs to figure out how do we bring their strengths (as well as Pollard's) into the game.

10: Pollard (25) / Willemse (21)
Out: Jantjies (can only hope)
In (Maybe): Bosch (22)
I am putting both Willemse and Bosch here rather than at 15 because I see them as covering 10/15 at 22 with a centre/wing wearing 23

11: Dyantyi (25) / Mapimpi (29)
Assuming Dyantyi comes back in and Mapimpi isn't too old as 33 is pushing it especially for winger who doesn't have a ton of arrows in his quiver other than being rapid. I could see Am as an able winger.

12: De Allende (27) / Serfontein (26)
Out: Steyn

13: Kriel (25) / Am (25)
In (Maybe): Simelane (21)
Bit early ATM to tell but if Simelane can continue in the current vein he could pose a few selection questions. Might have too look at one of our 13s shifting to wing if we have issues out wide.

14: Kolbe (26) / Nkosi (23)

15: Gelant (24)
With both Willemse and Bosch options on the bench we should be fine here but I really hope we do try Kolbe at 15 to get him into the game more and keep him there for a full year at least to get a decent sample size.

come on now... Why start this now??? Trying to get your mind off things I guess.

Anyway, Rumour has it that Nienaber will get the head coach gig.

A few players you didn't mention:

1. Ox Nche
4. Jason Jenkins
6. Roelof Smit, Du Preez twins
8. Junior Phokomela, Juarno Augustus

Latest posts