• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eurocup poll

Where do you stand concerning the euro-cup?

• Total voters

Packman

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Highlanders
I don't know about you but I'm interested to see exactly where people stand on the future of the European cup. This thread will not replace "The Heinkenen Cup Talks Are Over". That's the go-to thread if you have anything to say. This one is just a poll, but if you can post a quick reply stating your nationality and which way you voted then we'll get a good idea about where the battle-lines are drawn.

The perception is that all Englishmen and Frenchmen are pro PRL / LNR. I think that's mostly due to only die hard rugby fans frequent message boards. I reckon more English rugby fans support England and so the international game but they don't follow the domestic game and are ignorant to the situation and what's at stake.

Anyway lets see what the future holds for rugby union shall we?

Last edited:
You'll be amazed to hear that I voted to for the ERC.

As I have absolutely no confidence in the ERC to organise a drunken party in a brewing establishment, I opted for the devil I know: PRL and the Welsh Regions.

I voted for PLR purely on the basis of what he said!!!

As I have absolutely no confidence in the ERC to organise a drunken party in a brewing establishment, I opted for the devil I know: PRL and the Welsh Regions.

Your use of that phrase is strange considering we have no experience of a competition run by the clubs outside of Union governance.

I just want a European Tournament with Europe's best teams. I voted unions and not PRL, as they at least seem open to that. The PRL on the other hand are not.

ERC have done a pretty damn good job of establishing professionalism in European club rugby thus far, I trust them to continue. The PRL wouldn't have the money making opportunity BT are providing without what the ERC has done.

ERC wouldn't know their arse from a hole in the ground. I don't want a competition run by them.

Looking at our club performances in Wales with the WRU pulling the strings, I have no faith in them to continue. Time for a change.

While I am not particularly happy with either option, given how things are going, I do not believe handing so much power in rugby to a body so ambivalent about the international game is a good move. If the options come down to the ERC or PRL and friends, by default I would vote for ERC.

ERC wouldn't know their arse from a hole in the ground. I don't want a competition run by them.

I do wonder about this attitude though. I mean, aside from PRL telling us that the ERC can't run a competition, what evidence is there? The Heineken Cup is arguably (I'd say definitely) the most successful club competition in the world. It appears to be growing in popularity year on year. Their chief argument against the ERC in this regard seems to be the inability to maximize profit potential, yet it's telling that the earnings of the Top 14 have far outstripped the PRL run premiership in the last 5 years.

As a Manxmen with French tendencies and HATE what the PRL have done, I have to go with the Unions and the new qualification and distibution for the H Cup.............

The Heineken Cup is the only European sports competition of any kind that I follow. Without it I would I follow nothing north of the equator (other than NFL).

International competition between nations ought to be the absolute pinnacle of any player's career. If PRL end up in charge of rugby in England and Wales, then eventually, you can say bye bye to any credible international rugby. It will go the same way as International Rugby League, a sad, powerless joke that feeds on the left-over crumbs from domestic rugby.

Through all this power struggle between the Unions and the Clubs, the most important participants have been either ignored or steamrollered... the fans. But they are not powerless. The fans have it in their power to make the PRL fail in their bid for control.

► DON'T buy BT Sport subscriptions. If you have one already, relinquish it, and make sure you tell BT Sport and your Club why you are doing so.
► DON'T buy tickets to matches. If you have a season ticket, return it, and make sure you tell your Club the reason why.
► PROTEST outside the venues of Club matches.
► WRITE TO your local papers.
► BOYCOTT the products of the major sponsors or the Clubs, and write to them telling them why you no longer buy their products.

Nothing would send Nigel Wray and his cohorts a message more effectively than Saracens v Visitors at an empty Allianz Park!

I would like a Euro league eventually, but not ERC as is. Funding first of all needs to be re appropriated, as was previously discussed. Secondly, I don't want the WRU representing the regions interests, as they only have international interests at heart. Lets see Wales take on SA next year outside of the IRB windows missing almost the entire first XV.

While I am not particularly happy with either option, given how things are going, I do not believe handing so much power in rugby to a body so ambivalent about the international game is a good move. If the options come down to the ERC or PRL and friends, by default I would vote for ERC.

This

I would like a Euro league eventually, but not ERC as is. Funding first of all needs to be re appropriated, as was previously discussed. Secondly, I don't want the WRU representing the regions interests, as they only have international interests at heart. Lets see Wales take on SA next year outside of the IRB windows missing almost the entire first XV.

Without wishing to make light of the real problems in Welsh rugby, its ironic that the most internationally focused union in the NH has been the most successful in domestic terms.

I believe very strongly that a large part of the Irish success comes down to a very integrated model with a minimum of conflict. I would be lying if I said there weren't times I wish Ulster was free of the IRFU, but when I compare goings on there to the various states of civil war in Wales, England and France, its actually a pretty sweet deal. By and large, I think the less head cooks the better.

On balance, of the two options presented I voted for the latter with Union and IRB control above club control.

Neither side is without blame in this; the Unions for refusing to bend, the clubs for deceit. I'd be in favour of replacing ERC with FIRA-AER control since they're more concerned with growing the sport rather than PRL/RRW/LNR who are looking to maximise profit only for themselves and ERC who are a bunch of self serving Unions.

eh?

Not sure on your choice of example there :lol:

Nigel Wray is Saracens Chairman, and they play at Allianz Park, and he speaks in favour of what PRL have done.

Can you think of a better example?