European Champions Cup 20-21 - Rd 1

Leinster Fan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
So, the most forgettable tournament in rugby history has finally come to an end. Thankfully, to make up for missing out on real Autumn internationals we get the joys of one of European rugby's most memorable and beloved tournaments, which thankfully has been completely unaffected by the ongoing pandemic and will proceed exactly as normal.

Now, on the off chance someone isn't a regular user of psychedelic drugs, they may struggle to understand the new and improved format we've got this year. If you don't get it, just take the drugs to get into the frame of mind our genius overlords at the ECPR were in when they dreamt it up. If you still don't get it, here's an explainer: Your team will play home and away against two teams. The teams you have played will also play against an entirely different team. At the end of this, you will have played four games and so will each of the teams you played against (two against you and two against some other team that will have nothing to do with you). At the end of these four games, your record will be compared in a group of 12, which will include 6 teams that will only have played against each other and have nothing to do with your team or any of the teams you've played against, or even any of the teams they've played against. If you're in the top 4 of this group of 12, you'll advance to the quarter finals, which are two legged for some reason.

Clear now? No? Good. It's not meant to be understood by us mere mortals. It won't matter anyway because at Christmas we remember what's important in life, and that's Sale losing all their games and Munster suffering an agonising loss in the semis (and Leinster looking unbeatable before getting smashed by Saracens but that won't happen this year yippee)

Also the Dragons are involved for some reason.

Anyway, here are this weekends games

1607354145395.png

If people think we should have more than one thread fair enough, but it's so convoluted that it's hard to see the point in doing group threads.

Also as an aside, how TF did the Dragons manage to get in here? Did they use their older brothers ID?
The joys of expanding to 24 teams for no reason.

They came fifth in their conference ahead of only Zebre and the Ospreys, got in anyway because they finished behind the Cheetahs. And they had less points than both Benneton and Cardiff who were in the other conference. Win 5 league games all season last year.

Tbh they didn't use their brother's ID (not that any other Welsh ID would get you in), it's more that they showed up age 14 absolutely hammered off one sip of vodka but they were let in anyway for no apparent reason.

Anyone know where the EPCR games can be streamed in the US? Man oh man, rugby is getting harder and harder to watch over here... Thanks!

I get the format. Just not sure how fair it is. I know previously teams can get easier groups or harder groups, but generally it would be pretty evenly spread. Some of these pairings just feel unfair.

Anyone know where the EPCR games can be streamed in the US? Man oh man, rugby is getting harder and harder to watch over here... Thanks!
Peacock TV Premium has every match from the Gallagher Premiership, Champions Cup, Six Nations and the Sevens Series. The Challenge Cup is also listed but none of the matches appear to be on the calendar, so it might just be the knockout stages only. At $4.99 per month it's better than any single option we have over here.

Peacock TV Premium has every match from the Gallagher Premiership, Champions Cup, Six Nations and the Sevens Series. The Challenge Cup is also listed but none of the matches appear to be on the calendar, so it might just be the knockout stages only. At $4.99 per month it's better than any single option we have over here.
Thanks, Fuzzy, and love the name, btw! Yeah, I see Peacock's listed it now, but let's agree they kinda suck, eh? Between Peacock and Flo, the pickings are slim indeed. Thanks, all!

Just sticking everything in here?

Ulster team to play Toulouse, Heineken Champions Cup Round 1, Friday 11 December 2020 at Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 8pm, live on BT Sport / beIN Sport:

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O'Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O'Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Tom O'Toole, David O'Connor, Matty Rea, Alby Mathewson, Stewart Moore, Craig Gilroy.

Toulouse: Maxime Médard; Matthis Lebel, Sofiane Guitoune, Romain Ntamack, Cheslin Kolbe; Thomas Ramos, Antoine Dupont; Cyril Baille, Julien Marchand (capt), Charlie Faumuina; Rory Arnold, Joe Tekori; Rynhardt Elstadt, Alban Placines, Selevasio Tolofua. Replacements: Guillaume Marchand, Rodrigue Neti, David Ainu'u, Emmanuel Meafou, Louis Madaule, Yannick Youyoutte, Pita Ahki, Alexi Bales.

Thread per rd, I reckon
See how busy it gets and maybe revert to one per group if it gets too hectic

wtf have yous lot done to Addison? When's the last time he even played?
He last played against Bath last January in the CC. He will not have played for well over a year when it's said and done I'd imagine. Had at least two surgeries now I think. Calf and Back plaguing him.

He last played against Bath last January in the CC. He will not have played for well over a year when it's said and done I'd imagine. Had at least two surgeries now I think. Calf and Back plaguing him.
I'd blame the Irish but he was just as injury prone for us.

Such a shame, he's an incredibly talented player - just can't put more than a handful of games together.

Just sticking everything in here?

Ulster team to play Toulouse, Heineken Champions Cup Round 1, Friday 11 December 2020 at Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 8pm, live on BT Sport / beIN Sport:

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O'Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O'Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Tom O'Toole, David O'Connor, Matty Rea, Alby Mathewson, Stewart Moore, Craig Gilroy.

Toulouse: Maxime Médard; Matthis Lebel, Sofiane Guitoune, Romain Ntamack, Cheslin Kolbe; Thomas Ramos, Antoine Dupont; Cyril Baille, Julien Marchand (capt), Charlie Faumuina; Rory Arnold, Joe Tekori; Rynhardt Elstadt, Alban Placines, Selevasio Tolofua. Replacements: Guillaume Marchand, Rodrigue Neti, David Ainu'u, Emmanuel Meafou, Louis Madaule, Yannick Youyoutte, Pita Ahki, Alexi Bales.

Interesting - no out-half on the bench. They'll be relying on Lowry or Cooney to cover at 10.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O'Brien (24)
14. Hugo Keenan (20)
13. Robbie Henshaw (49)
12. Ciarán Frawley (30)
11. Dave Kearney (154)
10. Ross Byrne (91)
9. Luke McGrath (134)
1. Peter Dooley (81)
2. James Tracy (116)
3. Michael Bent (147)
4. Devin Toner (254)
5. Scott Fardy (66)
6. Rhys Ruddock (180) CAPTAIN
7. Josh van der Flier (85)
8. Caelan Doris (34)

16. Rónan Kelleher (16)
17. Cian Healy (222)
18. Andrew Porter (67)
19. James Ryan (41)
20. Ryan Baird (14)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (95)
22. Johnny Sexton (168)
23. Dan Leavy (68)

Basically our Pro14 side...

Happy to see JOB getting a go at this level him and Frawley should hopefully alleviate some of RB's playmaking issues. Since Sexton is fit enough to bench I am a bit annoyed Harry isn't getting the start but it is fairly understable.

Very strong physical bench to come on. Atm I think we're looking at a LBP.

Team-News-Twitter-1024x576.jpg

20yr old debutant at 1, no openside, no lock sub, three hookers, flyhalf at 13
We're definitely taking this seriously

Latest posts