• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup 20-21 - Rd 2

Got to feel for Quinn literally nothing is going their way even a good charge down didn't sit for them.

This is a low quality game so far. Both teams can't stop infringing. Bristol do look the better side so far though I think.

Ref has had a few stinkers here. Bristol seriously unlucky with a couple of calls

Adamson really is a crap ref. Connacht players running back interfering with the pass and apparently it's not offside.

Yes I agree. Connacht lazy runners everywhere. Hughes also broke off the maul and it should become a tackle situation then.

Stupid by Connacht. Kick the penalty and get the losing bonus point.

So looking at it now after 2 rounds, will the remaining games be exciting?

Pool A: You have 5 teams on 2 wins. Let's assume all games get played (very optimistic)

Leinster: Probably end up on 20 points and top.
Wasps: Depends on return fixture to Montpellier and what kind of team do Montpellier put out. They know they are likely to lose to Leinster as well, so assume they can get maximum of about 6 points. They could be playing for last challenge cup place. Dragons should be out of it by the last weekend. I still think Wasps should end up with 4 wins. Not sure about BP's
Bordeaux: With Saints and Dragons they should also end up with 4 wins.
La Rochelle: Hard to know with a walkover. Edinburgh have kept themselves in it and if they beat Sale again, they'll be up for it.
Scarlets: Again had a walkover. If Toulon feel like they can nick the last quarter-final spot then it could come down to the last weekend.

I make it Leinster, Wasps and Bordeaux should reach Quarters with the last spot up for grabs if Edinburgh and Toulon have good results in their next games. Also not sure how weak a team the sides with 0 wins will put out as Sale in eighth have 1 point, so last challenge cup spot is wide open. I reckon there might be a couple of good games, but not many.

Pool B: Here you have 4 teams on 2 wins and 2 teams on 6 points.

Lyon: Had a walkover so again, hard to say for certain if they will still win, but I expect them too. I can see the winner of Ulster vs Gloucester putting the last challenge cup spot out of reach of Glasgow, so they will have little to play for. Especially with Exeter at the end. Gloucester could still be in with a chance of a challenge cup spot, so you never know with this one.
Racing: With Connacht losing at home I expect them to lose again to Bristol and be out completely by the last weekend. Definitely beat Harlequins at home.
Toulouse: Now this is the interesting one, because they got a walkover against Exeter. However if Exeter beat them with a BP and beat Glasgow with a BP, then theoretically both teams could end up on 15 points. This could well be the pick of the games in round 3.
Munster: Only 2 points ahead of Clermont, so again this is completely up in the air. I expect Munster to win at home, but Clermont are not going to role over. Again could well be pick of the round 3 games, especially after this week.

Clermont: They turn it around at Munster, they could get to 16 points and so grab that last spot.
Bristol: Also on 6 points, if they get BP against Connacht and Clermont lose again to Munster, they might be able to get to 16 points. Could be enough if Toulouse and Exeter are both on 15.
Exeter: Need a BP in both their games to have a chance.

I think this will be the better pool, barring covid. Walkovers mean Exeter are playing catch up, but they still could. However also in this group I can see they winner of Gloucester and Ulster securing the last challenge cup spot, so by round 4 you could well have 4 teams playing very weak sides.

Having said that Covid could throw everything up in their air, as it already has done.

Aye, Paolo looks great at 13
He looked decent as a winger but nothing particularly special - always seemed to be better at 7s, but the move to 13 has worked so much better than I would have guessed
Definitely benefiting from the increased game time as well - hard to improve when you're not getting consistent minutes
He just seems to fit the role better and because we are light at 13 (literally without Fekitoa), he should get a run in the team. I think it helps giving him a jimmy to help manage him but also someone like bassett/Zach who know the rules of being a winger inside and out and control the edges for him.

Gotta love him on a short line too.

He just seems to fit the role better and because we are light at 13 (literally without Fekitoa), he should get a run in the team. I think it helps giving him a jimmy to help manage him but also someone like bassett/Zach who know the rules of being a winger inside and out and control the edges for him.

Gotta love him on a short line too.
Yeah he has fitted in there very well, been pretty impressed, can't wait for Fekitoa's return though few offer what he does.

Yeah he has fitted in there very well, been pretty impressed, can't wait for Fekitoa's return though few offer what he does.
True but don't feel as worried as i did before, tbh if Simonds and Spink both come back then i think we will be fairly handy. I'd also be interested to see Nearchou and Pichardie get into a few squads. Nearchou playing well for Treviso and looks a huge lump
[h2][/h2]

True but don't feel as worried as i did before, tbh if Simonds and Spink both come back then i think we will be fairly handy. I'd also be interested to see Nearchou and Pichardie get into a few squads. Nearchou playing well for Treviso and looks a huge lump
[h2][/h2]
Worth keeping an eye on Simonds for sure, scrum half is another cause of concern for me , without Robson we looked a little directionless at times, bigger concern if he does become a regular for England.

Adamson really is a crap ref. Connacht players running back interfering with the pass and apparently it's not offside.
Apparently his stellar performances have earned him a 6N's call up. Genuinely worried now about the quality of international referees.

Latest posts