• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup 2017/18: Pool 1

La Rochelle are the team to watch in this group. Their home form is impressive and for me are favourites to win the group.

ULSTER (v Wasps, Kingspan Stadium, Friday, 7.45pm): Charles Piutau; Louis Ludik, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale; Christian Lealiifano, John Cooney; Kyle McCall, Rob Herring, Wiehahn Herbst; Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (capt); Robbie Diack, Sean Reidy, Jean Deysel.

Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Callum Black, Rodney Ah You, Matt Rea, Clive Ross, Paul Marshall, Peter Nelson, Tommy Bowe.

WASPS: Willie le Roux; Christian Wade, Elliot Daly, Brendan Macken, Josh Bassett; Jimmy Gopperth, Dan Robson; Matt Mullan, Tom Cruse, Jake Cooper-Woolley; Joe Launchbury (capt), Will Rowlands; James Haskell, Thomas Young, Nathan Hughes.

Replacements: Ashley Johnson, Simon McIntyre, Marty Moore, James Gaskell, Jack Willis, Joe Simpson, Rob Miller, Marcus Watson.

My god Brendan Macken has gone up in the world. Was always solid, but limited. Wouldn't have thought him a flashy Wasps style back. Then again they've got way more use out of Gopperth than Leinster did ad I would have said the same for him. Tough enough task for Ulster, but I'd back them just about at home I think. A bit more meat in the pack than they've had in the past with Deysel, a fit Hendy and Treadwell's continued improvement. They seem to have the halfbacks capable of releasing their exciting backs too. Not only is Stockdale strong, he looks lighting fast too. Think he'll really announce himself here if he's allowed to run at the likes of Wade.

My god this is going to be painful to watch...hence why I won't be watching it.

My god Brendan Macken has gone up in the world. Was always solid, but limited. Wouldn't have thought him a flashy Wasps style back. Then again they've got way more use out of Gopperth than Leinster did ad I would have said the same for him. Tough enough task for Ulster, but I'd back them just about at home I think. A bit more meat in the pack than they've had in the past with Deysel, a fit Hendy and Treadwell's continued improvement. They seem to have the halfbacks capable of releasing their exciting backs too. Not only is Stockdale strong, he looks lighting fast too. Think he'll really announce himself here if he's allowed to run at the likes of Wade.

Nah, this is more a case of everyone else playing terribly as well as some injuries. Gopperth would be our usual 12. Macken has at least stood up to be counted, but yeah he definitely has a ceiling.

Suspect Lovobalavu would be the first choice 12, followed by Eastmond, then Gopperth, then Macken (though if JdJ get's it together, and with more familiarity, he may take him).

That's not to say that Macken has been bad though, solid enough player. He's not going to be a star of any side, but he's solid enough that he'd equally not be the reason you lose.

Cips is the biggest loss here for us. Gopps was far too deep against Bath, whilst the rest of the attack was setup the same, it meant virtually all our runners were no longer options, and thus we just lost territory as it was easy for the defence.

Suspect Lovobalavu would be the first choice 12, followed by Eastmond, then Gopperth, then Macken (though if JdJ get's it together, and with more familiarity, he may take him).

That's not to say that Macken has been bad though, solid enough player. He's not going to be a star of any side, but he's solid enough that he'd equally not be the reason you lose.

Cips is the biggest loss here for us. Gopps was far too deep against Bath, whilst the rest of the attack was setup the same, it meant virtually all our runners were no longer options, and thus we just lost territory as it was easy for the defence.

I didn't see Saracens but in the game prior to that I thought JdJ showed a good deal more energy and edge than the rest of our backs. He almost looked a fly half at points, attacked the line in a way Gopperth wasn't managing.

But yeah, once injuries are taken away we just have a mess of options for midfield, too many for me to be confident that we'll work out what works best particularly soon. Its a loss because the opening games of a season are the time to work these things out, while other teams are equally vulnerable.

Lovu has already shown some real class but also made quite a few errors.

Plenty of backline talent on display tonight. Piutau, Stockdale, Daly, Le Roux etc. Should be a good game weather permitting.

Shame the crowd will referee this match.

Edit: pen against Hughes for nothing. Pathetic

Edit: Ref favouring Ulster. If Wasps took their chances, they would be leading easily.

Last edited:
First half of Ulster v Wasps has been of really poor quality. 3-6 lead for the away side.

Couldn't care less who's playing well for Wasps. Best performers for Ulster have been John Cooney and Jacob Stockdale.

We know one thing, neither of these teams will be challenging to a top side.

Edit: footy crowd.

Edit: awful reffing again. Key decision, see a replay, give the knock on the wrong way.

Edit: Wasps are awful

Last edited:
Have to agree about the crowd, absolutely pathetic. You hope to say rugby is better than football, but Ulster fans don't do rugby any favour.

Wasps game management is woeful. They really do miss Cipriani at 10

Edit: get these Welsh officials back to Wales, was not forward! Poor officiating.

Whitehouse has been dreadful but I think he got the knock on call correct. Wasp shoulder hit it out of ulsters hands so not an ulster knock. He shouldn't have allowed the wasp tackled to just lay on the ball the way he did.

Whitehouse hates quick ball. There's letting a ruck breathe and then there is just letting whatever happen.

Please let Dai be the next Welsh coach. Wasps look woeful.

Edit: Wasps only playing on Sunday has obviously made a difference

Lads wasps are awful. Like if they're 1 of best in England then I'd be happy. For all money and individual names they're poor

Lads wasps are awful. Like if they're 1 of best in England then I'd be happy. For all money and individual names they're poor
They aren't one England's best, but they have shed loads of injuries, have Young in charge and played away from home to Saracens on Sunday.

Edit, only Wasps can be offside. And if McCloskey is going to international standard, he needs to destroy this bit part Wasps side.

Latest posts