• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup Quater Final Saracens v Racing Metro

So you blatantly mame someone in the World Cup final and escape sanction for the next four years? Good idea!

Are you illiterate ? The word is maim.
You think its fair that someone gets banned for thumping someone in the quater final and is eligible to play in the semi.

Are you illiterate? The word is quarter.
d9q75iv.gif

Are you illiterate ? The word is maim.
You think its fair that someone gets banned for thumping someone in the quater final and is eligible to play in the semi.

You're right, I misspelled one word, I'm clearly illiterate.

I think it's the fairest solution that I've heard proposed, more more fairerer (damn, must go and take my illiteracy pills) than the solution you're proposing - what a farce it would be for a player who is "convicted" of reprehensible thuggery in a cup competition to be able to play the next week in the league. It could take two or three years of European competition for such a player to work off their ban, during which time they could fall out of contention or retire having never "done their time". What would it have done for the credibility of the game if Duncan McRea was allowed to play the week after his attack on ROG on the basis that he had to wait another 12 years to serve the first week of his seven year ban when the Lions next came to town?!?

To me, if there is a scandal here (other than the terrible crime of playing for an English side), it is the fact that (once again) we have seen the ban cut by 50% because he smiled politely and said sorry - this should be the expectation, not a reason to receive special treatment IMO.

To me, if there is a scandal here (other than the terrible crime of playing for an English side), it is the fact that (once again) we have seen the ban cut by 50% because he smiled politely and said sorry - this should be the expectation, not a reason to receive special treatment IMO.

Yeah, I really don't think it's a worthwhile factor in determining the length of the ban... when was the last time someone didn't apologise or show remorse?

Yeah, I really don't think it's a worthwhile factor in determining the length of the ban... when was the last time someone didn't apologise or show remorse?

David Attoub, who instead contended the images showing him gouging had been doctored, and got a 70 week ban.

Peat's example aside, exactly. I would rather see the emphasis put the other way around, i.e. the ban given is what the committee sees as appropriate within the WR's guidelines, then extra time is added on if the player has failed to apologise, not conducted himself well at the hearing, failed to admit guilt or has plenty of previous. Just seems a more gentlemanly and transparent way of doing things.

Speaking of which, when is the last time a ban was extended on the basis of previous indiscretions?

Peat's example aside, exactly. I would rather see the emphasis put the other way around, i.e. the ban given is what the committee sees as appropriate within the WR's guidelines, then extra time is added on if the player has failed to apologise, not conducted himself well at the hearing, failed to admit guilt or has plenty of previous. Just seems a more gentlemanly and transparent way of doing things.

Speaking of which, when is the last time a ban was extended on the basis of previous indiscretions?

Hartley's last ban reflected "the player's record rather than the seriousness of the offence itself" - 3 weeks rather than the minimum of 2.

Given that said ban was Hartley's 5th, and his 4th featured a reduction rather than an increase, that appears to be the tipping point.

Damn I am too late, but it doesn't matter: not often you get the oportunity to post the video to end up a discussion or former discussion with almost biblical power:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/blogs/index?entryID=2339643&name=diego_albanese

Even if you don't know spanish you will see: Diego Albanese (from now on: The Analist) shows in slow camera and zooming the payers in penalty situation and adds the audio of Pierre Michenau talking to his teammates about keeping on their feet. Also, zooming on Nigel Owens refereeing with slow camera.

Dammit, too late.

Latest posts