• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup Semi Final Clermont v Saracens

If it is Toulon and Clermont in the final some of our Gallic friends would still accuse ref of anti-French bias. Debating that call against Paris last week still blows my mind.

First appearance of SOUR GRAPES others could follow!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

When the ball goes out of play the offside line has gone. Ashton should've gone too the bin apart from the ball to Nalaga is a mile forward so it shouldn't have even got too that point. Clermont players laid all over the ball every ruck, and the scrum was a joke as we had the advantage and hardly got reward for such. But then again Saracens were offside, we didn't support our weight in the jackals. Really he isn't very good at his job.
He was advancing before the ball went out of play therefore offside

Anyway my match ratings
Saracens
1.Vunipola 7- Had a great time in the scrum but wasn't rewarded. Carried well.
2.George 5.5- Lineout time was not good, didn't miss a tackle.
3.Du Plessis 5.5- Good scrum but not anything else.
4.Kruis 5.5- Makes tackles and has workrate. Should be a bigger presence to the 2nd row.
5.Hamilton 4.5- Kept Clermont in it at half time.
6.Itoje 7- One big run and he didn't miss a tackle.
7.Burger 7- Makes tackles hit rucks, dropped the ball that would've been a try.
8.Vunipola 9- Won 2 turnovers in his 22, and was immense in the loose.
9.Wigglesworth 7.5- Great box kicking. Should've been there for Fofana's try.
10.Hodgson 7- Drop goal and big kick, missed 2 from same place though.
11.Wyles 6- Hardly got the ball, chased well but didn't get too shine.
12.Barritt 8.5- Tackles hard. Ran hard. Made some good passes.
13.Bosch 5.5- Missed loads of overlaps. Made poor passes and slipped tackles.
14.Ashton 6- Should've been yellowed, but again had no ball. Missed 1 tackles and made 6. 1 clean break.
15.Goode 8- Ran very well, made 113 meters. He beat 3 defenders and 1 clean break.

:lol: I hate Sarries, sour grapes or actually knowing the rules of rugby? One of those two.

Really he isn't very good at his job.

That sums him up!

Every referee in every game can be accused of missing things rightly or wrongly by one side or the other, depending upon which eye they have open, but this guy takes the biscuit!

@Saffycen - loved your description of Bosch's game!! That is a career description not just one game's!!!!

Last edited:
More sour grapes
Come now, can't call sour grapes for bemoaning the ref when you did the same. Clancy was bad for both sides, just not an excellent ref. Let's, both sides look past that and accept that Clermont were better today, although Sarries definately had a chance were they a tad more clinical. Not a great game but rugby did break out from time to time.

^ agree with that, Clermont had much more quality and courage with ball in hand which made them worth their win.

Some stats from the game
Fullbacks, Goode made 113 meters. Abendanon made only 32m but both beat the same amount of defenders (3) though Goode made 1 clean break.
Centres, Fofana and Davies didn't miss a tackle the whole game 9/0. Bosch missed 2 on his own, Barritt and Bosch made 9/2.
Back Row, Vunipola made more meters than any other rower with 24, Chouly was next with 17 than Itoje with 14.
Tacklers, Burger made 12 and missed no tackles, on the other hand Brits made 4 and missed 3. Bardy made 12, but was also the guy with most misses with 4.
Clermont beat 18 players compared to Saracens 10. Clermont made 4 clean breaks to Saracens 3.
Clermont made 73 tackles with a 88% tackle success. Saracens made 82 and had 82% success.
Clermont offloaded 3 times to Saracens 9. Clermont kicked 44 times to Saracens 33. Clermont ran the ball for 181 meters and Saracens ran 358 meters.

Come now, can't call sour grapes for bemoaning the ref when you did the same. Clancy was bad for both sides, just not an excellent ref. Let's, both sides look past that and accept that Clermont were better today, although Sarries definately had a chance were they a tad more clinical. Not a great game but rugby did break out from time to time.

Spot on.

Putting it politely there. Anyone know how such a poor ref has managed to stay at the elite level for so long? I just don't understand it, he's been ruining games for years and years now. Not just an isolated big mistake or one particular off day either, game on game he's consistently poor for everyone in every match he's involved for the whole 80 minutes.

I can see him maybe at best as a low level Pro12 ref at best, but his continued presence in some of the biggest internationals and domestic matches frustrates me. There's seemingly little accountability in refereeing. How often in recent times has a ref been dropped for poor form? The elite refereeing group appears to be a bit of a clique. It's a relatively static group and the vast majority seem to leave only through retirement.

^ Good question that. Walsh was dropped wasn't he after the Warratah's debacle?

Last minute cancellation by friends coming from abroad means that I now have 4 spare tickets.

Please message me if you are interested

Latest posts