European Champions Cup Semi Final Toulon vs Leinster

Toulon.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Leinster.png

KO 16:15
19/4/15
Stade Velodrome​

Preliminary (29-man) Toulon squad:

Forwards: Chiocci, Menini, Fresia, Orioli, Guirado, Burden, Hayman, Chilachava, Castrogiovanni, Suta, Taofifenua, Williams, Botha, Gorgodze, J.Smith, S. Armitage, Fernandez Lobbe, Masoe.

Backs: Tillous-Borde, Claassens, Escande, Michalak, Giteau, Wulf, Bastareaud, Mitchell, Habana, D. Armitage, Halfpenny.

Some reports that Armitage may be unfit. No idea how Halfpenny can be back in just a week after a 'minor' dislocation. It'll surely be tested. Looks like Michalak at 10 thankfully.

For Leinster, Douglas is definitely out which is no surprise, Jennings is doubtful and McFadden is available.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/drew-...inster-to-cote-dazur-living-with-toulon/21629

SOB needs to learn the rules I'm afraid. Elbows on the deck aren't 100% guaranteed penalties, can still have them on there if body weight supported (questionable whether Armitage did one one of those pens but he did on two for sure)

Armitage just flops his belly on the tackled player and supports most of his weight with his arms, his girth disguises it well but he rucks illegally more often than not when he puts his forearms on the deck. My biggest criticism of Barnes the lay day, apart being consistently inconsistent, was that he ignored the tackler at ruck time and allowed them to attempt a turnover without releasing the player. Toulon took advantage, Leinster didn't and it ultimately kept Toulon in the game in regular time. (Not saying Toulon deserved to lose, playing Wayne Barnes is easily the most effective way to win a rugby game he's reffing)

Is that not true of most refs?

Fwiw, I agree about Armitage not supporting his own weight.

Most come to think of it. Lacey, Clancy and Barnes would be the most prominent for it imo.

Just on this. Owens got the final with Barnes and Clancy the Assistants. I think this is how IRB see it in terms of rankings of these guys here in Europe. Not saying I agree with it just that's the way it seems

Just on this. Owens got the final with Barnes and Clancy the Assistants. I think this is how IRB see it in terms of rankings of these guys here in Europe. Not saying I agree with it just that's the way it seems

I assume French refs can be used again for 2 French sides, so it is a case of these 3 being selected?

Seems odd, would assume top French ref will ref these two in league game. I agree on pecking order though.

- - - Updated - - -

Armitage just flops his belly on the tackled player and supports most of his weight with his arms, his girth disguises it well but he rucks illegally more often than not when he puts his forearms on the deck. My biggest criticism of Barnes the lay day, apart being consistently inconsistent, was that he ignored the tackler at ruck time and allowed them to attempt a turnover without releasing the player. Toulon took advantage, Leinster didn't and it ultimately kept Toulon in the game in regular time. (Not saying Toulon deserved to lose, playing Wayne Barnes is easily the most effective way to win a rugby game he's reffing)

It is harder to tell because of his gut but I am not sure SOB's reasoning is the same as yours. Arms on the ground CAN be irrelevant (not always or even mostly but it can with correct body position).

Last minute cancellation by friends coming from abroad means that I now have 4 spare tickets.

Please message me if you are interested

Latest posts