• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Rugby Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition

Croket66

Bench Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Georgia
The aim of the Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition is to widen the footprint of club rugby across Europe and to give both emerging and established clubs in different territories the opportunity to secure two valuable places in the 2016/17 Challenge Cup.This season's competition features clubs who have qualified from the domestic leagues of Rugby Europe member unions, Romania, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Belgium, as well three representatives from the Italian Eccellenza.
The eight participating clubs will compete in two pools with each club in Pool A playing once against each club in Pool B.
The two pool winners will then go through to a finals stage of the Qualifying Competition where they will play off against Rugby Calvisano or a nominated representative of the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR), and against Enisei-STM or a nominated representative of the Russian Union, on a home and away basis.
At the conclusion of the play-offs, two clubs will qualify for the 2016/17 Challenge Cup.
The Qualifying Competition is organised by Rugby Europe in conjunction with EPCR and the FIR.

POOL A
Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo (Italy)
Valladolid Rugby (Spain)
Fiamme Oro Rugby Roma (Italy)
Heidelberger Ruderklub (Germany)

POOL B
Timisoara Saracens (Romania)
Mogliano Rugby (Italy)
GD Direito (Portugal)

Royal Kituro (Belgium)
http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychallengecup/2015-2016-qualifying_competition.php

Results :
Saturday 14 November

Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo 29 - 19 GD Direito, Stadio Mario Battaglini (15.00)
Royal Kituro 6 - 24 Fiamme Oro Rugby Roma, Plaine Wahis, Brussels (14.00)

Saturday 21 November

Valladolid Rugby 18 - 36 Timisoara Saracens, Campos de Pepe Rojo, Valladolid (16.00)
GD Direito 21 - 24 Heidelberger Ruderklub, Campo de Monsanto, Lisbon (15.00)
Royal Kituro v Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo, Plaine Wahis (15.00) Postponed
Fiamme Oro Rugby Roma 19 - 0 Mogliano Rugby, Caserma Stefano Gelsomini (15.00)

Saturday 12 December
Timisoara Saracens v Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo, Gheorghe Rascanu Stadium, Timisoara (13.30)
Fiamme Oro Rugby Roma v GD Direito, Caserma Stefano Gelsomini (15.00)
Mogliano Rugby v Heidelberger Ruderkclub, Stadio Quaggia (15.00)
Valladolid Rugby v Royal Kituro, Campos de Pepe Rojo (16.00)

Saturday 19 December
Timisoara Saracens v Fiamme Oro Rugby Roma, Gheorghe Rascanu Stadium (13.30)
Heidelberger Ruderklub v Royal Kituro, Heidelberger RK, Heidleberg (14.00)
Mogliano Rugby v Valladolid Rugby, Stadio Quaggia (15.00)

Saturday 9 January 2016
GD Direito v Valladolid Rugby, Campo de Monsanto (15.00)

Saturday 16 January 2016
Heidelberger Ruderklub v Timisoara Saracens, Heidelberger RK (14.00)
Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo v Mogliano Rugby, Stadio Mario Battaglini (15.00)

ranksepcrqp5.jpg

Last edited:
Enisei-STM and Timisoara Saracens will be part of 2016-17 European Challenge Cup.

Russian squad destroyed Rovigo (0-31 & 39-5), while Romanians beat Calvisano twice (36-23 & 17-28). Italy will only be represented in Champions and Challenge Cups through their Pro12 franchises.

2016-17 schedule. Still no Georgian team. Russia sends Krasny Yar in spite of Enisei's presence in Challenge Cup. Both Enisei and Timisoara Saracens have right to defend their place in the competition later in the season against pool winners.
fhaxaw3.png

I'm going to keep my eye on this as I think there could be some interesting and competitive fixtures. A little shame it didn't expand to ten teams (to perhaps include a Portuguese and another Romanian team in advance of Georgia rejoining next season). I guess we have to be realistic about how much money is behind this (probably not much) and just be grateful that there is at least some exposure between different leagues. If you win your group I think you will get six games in Europe, against five different teams. That has to help the development of these teams.

Puzzled why it is Heidelberger rather than German champs Pforzheim (possibly as only Heidelberger are professional?). Who knows where Krasni Yar will end up playing their home games.

I guess Krasni Yar will be the favourite in one group but I've no idea who will be the next strongest team. Will be interesting as there is a lot at stake.

The main question is why Italy deserves to have four clubs after failing massively last year. And the answer is probably how much does FIR invest in the competition compared to other unions. It's a shame because Portuguese clubs are often even more competitive than Spanish ones in spite of their national sides struggles.

In relation to Heidelberg situation, Pforzheim may have rejected the proposal. Gernika ended up becoming Spanish representative in Amlin Cup a few years ago after all four first clubs from División de Honor refused, and funnily enough they had the best ever results from a Spanish club with two wins against an Italian club. Much more interesting it would be to know whether HRK will still be allowed to pick players from other German clubs just for this cup.

Krasny Yar should smash pretty much everyone much like Timisoara did last year. My guess is the Italians didn't invite the Romanians for fear they can't beat their teams. Timisoara proved last year that the best teams in Superliga are better than the best teams in Excellenza and the Italian clubs would have as much trouble with Steaua Bucharest and Baia Mare as they would with Timisoara.

I believe the winners of these two pools still have the play Timisoara and Enisei STM after they qualify. We could still not see any Italian Excellenza teams in the Challenge Cup next year.

In case there is somebody interested in obscure European club rugby, SilverStorm El Salvador v Petrarca Rugby Padova is going to be live streamed on YouTube. Kick-off time is Saturday 13:00 CET:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Will try to catch that later. I fancy El Salvador for a "surprise" victory.

Fair to say I called that horribly wrong. Caught some of the first half and whenever I was in the room El Salvador had good possession and every time I left the room and came back, Padova had scored more points. Disappointing for the Spanish league but I'm personally glad to see an excelllenza side that actually appears to have been coached okay.

Yep, it was quite a frustrating game for El Salvador. They didn't play that bad, but didn't score when they had the chance to. And it's fair to say Italian teams seem to have taken more seriously this competition that last season.

Quite harsh on Petrarca, they win *every* game convincingly, and fall only a bonus point and 8 game points short of winning their pool... but Mogliano will progress, despite having largely average results, and losing to Petrarca.

Not that it matters too much, I don't think for a minute that either could have beaten Enisey.

How does Krasny Yar compare with Timisoara? Timisoara haven't been getting great results in the Challenge Cup, but they're also in a tougher pool than Enisey.

Heidelberg has been quite the under-performer. I suspect they won't be back next season. No matter how well they do vs Belgium.

Quite harsh on Petrarca, they win *every* game convincingly, and fall only a bonus point and 8 game points short of winning their pool... but Mogliano will progress, despite having largely average results, and losing to Petrarca.

Not that it matters too much, I don't think for a minute that either could have beaten Enisey.

How does Krasny Yar compare with Timisoara? Timisoara haven't been getting great results in the Challenge Cup, but they're also in a tougher pool than Enisey.

Heidelberg has been quite the under-performer. I suspect they won't be back next season. No matter how well they do vs Belgium.

The competition really failed to take a step forward this year with HRK and El Salvador really underperforming and a system that penalised the Italian side that did best. It really could have done with another Romanian side in my opinion and hopefully they can get a bit more publicity and incorporate Georgia next year.

It has sadly been confirmed the final of this will take place on a backup / training pitch outside Murrayfield rather than at Murrayfield itself. Mind boggling, particularly if it is a Siberian derby! Better to have a two legged final at home stadia.

However the Krasny Yar vs Timisoara semi should be a cracker. Having watched a fair bit of both sides I'd make Krasny Yar clear favourites, although it sounds like Timisoara have been misfiring this season. Krasny Yar are very much on a par with Enisei and when you compare the results and scores of Enisei and Timisoara in Europe this season there is no comparison (although Timisoara had a harder group). When they play though the Romanian Superliga will still going I think though whereas the Russian season will be long since finished. So that could make a difference.

That the top 3 Russian clubs seem stronger than the Romanian ones (despite largely being filled with Russians) but the Russian national side is so inferior to Romania (and the gap looks to be widening) is one of the great sporting riddles of the 21st century to me!

The newly ***led "Continental Shield" resumes this weekend, with representatives from Romania, Georgia, Italy, Germany and Portugal (I think). Restructuring means the Russians only enter the contest at the semi final stage (where they meet each other and one must be eliminated).

Intrigue in that Heidelberger RK will feature the striking players who have withdrawn from the national side in a recent desperate dispute.

Live stream of Timisoara vs Calvisano from 1200hrs GMT / UTC apparently.

http://rugby-timisoara.ro/meci/ro/99/Timisoara-Saracens-vs-Pataro-Rugby-Calvisano.html

YES! Go Heidelberg. It was worth losing to Chile if that was the price of this victory. We've now won our last game against every Continental Shield opponent west of Romania. Calvisano, Petrarca, Mogliano, Dendermondse RC, Royal Kitero, GD Direto. The exceptions are Timisoara, Batumi, Kransy Yar.

We're playing CDUL next week, which should be an automatic 5 points. Still counting on Calvisano to beat our rivals Rovigo, so we can make the semis. On the off-chance Batumi beats Timisoara and denies them a bonus point, Heidelberg has another chance at the semis if we can run up a massive score in Portugal. - 50 points to make up.

Last edited:
Last match day tomorrow. As things stand now, every single team's SF qualification hangs in the balance.

All the matches this weekend are on at 3pm, but in different time zones:

UTC+3 - Batumi vs Timisoara first up. It will be over before we know anything useful about the other games.
UTC+1 - The Italian derbies Calvisano vs Rovigo and Petrarca vs Viadana. By kick-off, we can probably guess the outcome of Batumi vs Timisoara
UTC+0 - CDUL vs Heidelberg. At kick-off both teams will be playing for possible SF qualification, but early in the 2nd half one will probably be eliminated.

What each team needs:
  • Timisoara - Just a bonus point would give them a guarantee, losing by a lot less than 49 would help (slightly), though even failing that they'd still be favourites to qualify.
  • Batumi - A win. Anything less and they need one of the Italian favourites to fail.
  • Rovigo - A win or BP draw. Otherwise they're relying on CDUL.
  • Calvisano - Depending on whether Batumi loses (or wins), they're chasing probably 3 (or 5) table points to stay out of reach of CDUL (or Petrarca). (unless Batumi gets 2 BPs etc.)
  • Petrarca - If Timisoara just won, Petrarca control their own fate and just need a win - but if Batumi just won, Petrarca will need to win bigger than Calvisano by at least a BP and 24 points. At a minimum they need a losing BP, and for Calvisano to lose by ~25+, and for CDUL to not win.
  • Heidelberg - *IF* Timisoara fell short of even a bonus point, Heidelberg will be looking to win by e.g. a 42-point BP victory (if Timisoara lost by 8). Otherwise, they're still chasing a win, but just in the hope that Rovigo lose (which we will know by the early 2nd half). They only need a BP in case Rovigo get 2.
  • CDUL - Unless Rovigo beat Calvisano by 90+ points, CDUL will need to win AND for one or both of the Italian favourites to not win. (one if Batumi lost, otherwise both). If Batumi got a BP, CDUL need one too. (unless they're happy relying on both Italian favourites losing)
  • Viadana still have a chance - technically. But only if they and Calvisano both win big (there's a 65-point deficit with Rovigo they need to close). Heidelberg also need to not win.
It's a bit difficult to judge each team's chances based on their current standings after 3 games. Of the 12 games so far only 4 were won by 6+, and only 2 were won by away teams - usually vs CDUL or Viadana... It all seemed simple until Viadana beat Batumi!

Following the pattern, the winners this week would be Batumi, Calvisano, Petrarca and Heidelberg, all by low margins (7 or less). Seems about right, except I'd give Timisoara a slight edge, and Heidelberg a bigger margin (say 12) and a BP. Also a try BP to Calvisano and maybe even Rovigo. All wild guesses TBH
Final table: Pool A Timisoara 17, Heidelberg 13 (3 wins), Rovigo 12/13 (2 wins), Viadana 7; Pool B Calvisano 12, Petrarca 10, Batumi 9, CDUL 4.

EDIT: I changed it to assume the number of games won breaks a table point tie before points differential does. I think that's how Rugby Europe does things.

Last edited:
Last match day tomorrow. As things stand now, every single team's SF qualification hangs in the balance.

All the matches this weekend are on at 3pm, but in different time zones:

UTC+3 - Batumi vs Timisoara first up. It will be over before we know anything useful about the other games.
UTC+1 - The Italian derbies Calvisano vs Rovigo and Petrarca vs Viadana. By kick-off, we can probably guess the outcome of Batumi vs Timisoara
UTC+0 - CDUL vs Heidelberg. At kick-off both teams will be playing for possible SF qualification, but early in the 2nd half one will probably be eliminated.

What each team needs:
  • Timisoara - Just a bonus point would give them a guarantee, losing by a lot less than 49 would help (slightly), though even failing that they'd still be favourites to qualify.
  • Batumi - A win. Anything less and they need one of the Italian favourites to fail.
  • Rovigo - A win or BP draw. Otherwise they're relying on CDUL.
  • Calvisano - Depending on whether Batumi loses (or wins), they're chasing probably 3 (or 5) table points to stay out of reach of CDUL (or Petrarca). (unless Batumi gets 2 BPs etc.)
  • Petrarca - If Timisoara just won, Petrarca control their own fate and just need a win - but if Batumi just won, Petrarca will need to win bigger than Calvisano by at least a BP and 24 points. At a minimum they need a losing BP, and for Calvisano to lose by ~25+, and for CDUL to not win.
  • Heidelberg - *IF* Timisoara fell short of even a bonus point, Heidelberg will be looking to win by e.g. a 42-point BP victory (if Timisoara lost by 8). Otherwise, they're still chasing a win, but just in the hope that Rovigo lose (which we will know by the early 2nd half). They only need a BP in case Rovigo get 2.
  • CDUL - Unless Rovigo beat Calvisano by 90+ points, CDUL will need to win AND for one or both of the Italian favourites to not win. (one if Batumi lost, otherwise both). If Batumi got a BP, CDUL need one too. (unless they're happy relying on both Italian favourites losing)
  • Viadana still have a chance - technically. But only if they and Calvisano both win big (there's a 65-point deficit with Rovigo they need to close). Heidelberg also need to not win.
It's a bit difficult to judge each team's chances based on their current standings after 3 games. Of the 12 games so far only 4 were won by 6+, and only 2 were won by away teams - usually vs CDUL or Viadana... It all seemed simple until Viadana beat Batumi!

Following the pattern, the winners this week would be Batumi, Calvisano, Petrarca and Heidelberg, all by low margins (7 or less). Seems about right, except I'd give Timisoara a slight edge, and Heidelberg a bigger margin (say 12) and a BP. Also a try BP to Calvisano and maybe even Rovigo. All wild guesses TBH
Final table: Pool A Timisoara 17, Heidelberg 13 (3 wins), Rovigo 12/13 (2 wins), Viadana 7; Pool B Calvisano 12, Petrarca 10, Batumi 9, CDUL 4.

EDIT: I changed it to assume the number of games won breaks a table point tie before points differential does. I think that's how Rugby Europe does things.

Well, I'm glad that's all cleared up! :D

Well, the pattern picked all the winners, but the margins went way higher.
In the 6 minutes of the Timisoara game I saw, they looked way dominant. What went wrong for them?

The top 6 teams all won both of their home games.
The teams that qualify are the ones lucky enough to get an away game against CDUL, and the ones that were able to rack up 4 bonus points.
They're also the champions of 4 different countries, but that only says anything about Italy.

I have to say it worked out perfectly for Heidelberg. They're still underdogs but they have a real shot at making the final now

The fixtures in the first leg of the semifinals are rather deja vu - Batumi vs Timisoara and Heidelberg vs Calvisano.
Let me guess, both home teams win again...

Last edited:

Latest posts