• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Evans Taking a Year Off

Did you see the one from Quins RL?

http://www.league.quins.co.uk/news/11446.php

Quins pioneer helium ball technology

Harlequins Rugby League are to begin using rugby balls filled with a combination of air and helium gas after completing months of successful trails.
The innovative discovery came after a routine inspection of RFL operational rules. Whilst the pressure and size of a match ball is strictly governed, it was discovered that there are no guidelines to determine the contents of the balls.

Initial tests on balls filled with 100% helium proved disastrous, with 9 official match balls lost in a single training session. However the Quins backroom team preserved, adjusting the quantities of air and helium to find the perfect balance.

The exact quantity of helium in each ball is a guarded secret and laboratory tests have shown that balls can travel an average 14% further and stay in the air 8% longer.

One source revealed:

"The helium balls we have started using are fantastic. The distance we can get with the kicks and passes is amazing. Because the ball falls out of the air fractionally slower, we're able to get half the team under the ball following an attacking kick."

Another added:

"Rugby league has always been a revolutionary sport. From the introduction of interchanges, playoffs and video referees, the sport has continually evolved and we're really excited to be part of that. Perhaps other sports will follow our lead?"

Another said:

"For the past three months we've had gallons of helium down at the training ground; I can't remember the last time I heard someone who didn't have a high pitched squeaky voice."

Harlequins intend to use the balls in next Monday's clash against Hull KR at the Twickenham Stoop (2pm KO) with one lucky signed ball kicked into the crowd before kickoff.

However, as match balls are traditionally provided by the home team, Quins will be using normal balls for their match against Crusaders this evening (April 1st).

Lol didn't see that one.
I could still see Evans as an ornithologist though :D

Latest posts