• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Evening lads !

• Thread starter A Crappy Winger
  • Start date
A

A Crappy Winger

Hey guys, I'm a member from ages ago, just found the forum again and thought I'd chuck in a few posts here and there.
A couple things about me :

I'm a 17 year old Kiwi, play Colts U21 Level rugby for Marist Albion In Christchurch NZ.
5'11 and 76 kgs at present but hopefully the gym can raise the weight ! I play as a fullback primarily, outside centre is my backup position
My main attributes as a rugby player are my pace and my evasive skills. I run 11.3 100 m on grass, haven't ever done track athletics so don't know about that.
And the evasiveness just comes from being pretty small in a game with big dudes and not wanting to get crushed!

So I'm no expert or anything, but if anyone wants to know anything about the game in NZ or anything about sidesteps, swerves or anything like that I can try to answer with what I've learnt from playing myself.
Just thought I'd let you know a bit about me!

Cheers

I've got a question for you, Crappy.

If you are in fact a fullback then why is your name "A Crappy Winger"? I won't stand for inconsistency

Surely it means he's good at FB or OC, but not on the wing?

For a fullback, (My prefered position as well, although I frequently end up on the wing as well.) the best advice about attacking is to know exactly where and when to enter the line, and picking your running angles and lines. The best way to do this is just through trying various ways of running at the gaps. (I find it more helpful to run 'at' gaps instead of 'through' them, meaning that you're running straighter and, therefor, quicker)

I can't think of how to explain stepping, but the best way is just to watch the likes of Shane Williams, Jason Robinson and Bryan Habana and seeing them do it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 3 2010, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've got a question for you, Crappy.

If you are in fact a fullback then why is your name "A Crappy Winger"? I won't stand for inconsistency[/b]

He could be the backwards version of Denis Hurely and was such a terrible wing that they were forced to move him to fullback where he didn't balls it up as much. Probably still balls it up quite a bit though.

Hmm, don't know quite how to take this topic...

Like seriously no disrespect intended, and I'll leave the name issue for another time, but surely the advice offered by a 17 year old fullback playing colts, on the subject of side stepping, can't be too much more then common sense. Like as a 17 year old 6'3'' 106kg number 8 and prop playing for Johnsonville Rugby Club, Wellington , I think I've worked out the general idea of side stepping, the clue was in the name. You step to the side right? Like usually pretty fast, and often dummy-stepping one way then going the other, and the aim is to go around an apposing player...

Now while as a forward, this talent does not often come into play, as I run 100m in 12.8 seconds as a personal best (which is still fairly quick), what is there to know about side stepping that isn't mainly explained in the ***le.

Anyway regardless, nice intoduction and I'll look forward to seeing you post.

The name thing, used to be a crappy winger, time went on and now I'm a crappy fullback :) haha yeah seriously though just made the name ages ago and found the account yesterday.

About the sidestep thing, it's not really all that simple. Ask any back or forward I guess that's had to go one on one against a man 10m in front of him. Most rugby players would probably fit in that category. It's not as simple as running up to a guy and stepping to the side, cause he'll still hit you. Even if you run up and dummy one way first and then step to the side, he'll still probably hit you. There's a whole bunch of angles you can come from to deceive him into thinking you're going to go to one side when you're not. Body language, the way you're looking, your weight distribution, all that stuff is taken into account. Sometimes even if you do everything right he'll still hit you, if he's a good defender. It's not all about instinct and flair, there's a lot of thought that goes behind it as well. The differences I've noticed are the timing of the sidestep, how wide it is to the other side, the angle you step from and to, and the gap aim for.

Like I said I guess I'm no expert, but the stuff I didn't figure by myself, I've learned from the Canterbury B coaches ,when they came down to train the age-grade development camp I was in a while back. So I figured I might be useful for anyone who wanted to know, that's all! Sorry if anyone was offended haha

What you make of the Jeff Wilson video (assuming you watched it).

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah it had some helpful insights, mostly what he said about beating the line before you had the ball, that was some useful stuff.
His stuff about the sidestep and swerve was pretty standard though, but still good.

Can't argue with Goldie though haha :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 3 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmm, don't know quite how to take this topic...

Like seriously no disrespect intended, and I'll leave the name issue for another time, but surely the advice offered by a 17 year old fullback playing colts, on the subject of side stepping, can't be too much more then common sense. Like as a 17 year old 6'3'' 106kg number 8 and prop playing for Johnsonville Rugby Club, Wellington , I think I've worked out the general idea of side stepping, the clue was in the name. You step to the side right? Like usually pretty fast, and often dummy-stepping one way then going the other, and the aim is to go around an apposing player...

Now while as a forward, this talent does not often come into play, as I run 100m in 12.8 seconds as a personal best (which is still fairly quick), what is there to know about side stepping that isn't mainly explained in the ***le.

Anyway regardless, nice intoduction and I'll look forward to seeing you post.[/b]

At NO point should a number 8 sidestep.

Get the ball and run 'em over dammit :D

Latest posts