• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ex All Blacks could play for other nations rugby unions

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Candyman

Ex All Blacks could play for other nations
Newstalk ZB - December 1, 2009, 12:50 pm

The outcome of an IRB Council vote in Dublin could see a number of former All Blacks make a return to the international stage.

The IRB will vote tonight on whether to allow players to feature for a second international side after a 12 month stand down. It needs a majority of 75 percent to be passed.

The move would mean New Zealand's Rugby World Cup pool rivals Tonga could be boosted by the likes of Doug Howlett, Sam Tuitupou and Sione Lauaki.

One test All Black Sosene Anesi says he would love to be able to play for Samoa.

"If I get the chance again to go back and play for Samoa now I'll be happy and looking forward to it. My rugby career is not finished yet and hopefully I'll try and give something back to my country."

Anesi is currently in his first few days training with his new Super 14 team, the Waratahs, which he says is going well.

Not sure if I like this idea, It is fair for the players who only managed 1 or two test for the AB's but anymore eg 50 should not be allowed!

Personally I think it depends on the player. If a player like Roko or Siviventi ( sorry for the typ-o) decides to play for Fiji, then that's a great asset to the that team but moving down a level as a player. If the passion for the game is big enough I don't see any issues appearing but otherwise: Why would you play for a team that's worthy the semi finals on a WC if you we're part of a team that easily could win the final. A team that is also you're current place of living and provides you with everything?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Dec 2 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Personally I think it depends on the player. If a player like Roko or Siviventi ( sorry for the typ-o) decides to play for Fiji, then that's a great asset to the that team but moving down a level as a player. If the passion for the game is big enough I don't see any issues appearing but otherwise: Why would you play for a team that's worthy the semi finals on a WC if you we're part of a team that easily could win the final. A team that is also you're current place of living and provides you with everything?[/b]

Yes, what I don't agree with is guys like Doug Howlett, Sam Tuitupou and Sione Lauaki playing for there birth countries when some have already ticked up 50th tests for the All Blacks and some of these players moved overseas not because there days in the AB's were numbered but for the money!! If they had stayed around they may have been still in the All Blacks and prob wouldn't have even given their birth country a thought about playing for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts