• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Excellent Rugby Matches

JohnnyTightLips

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
I'm new to the sport and have been searching for good matches.

So far I've watched the last six nations (England vs. France was my favorite) and some matches from the last Rugby Championship.

Can anybody recommend excellent games to a new viewer? Doesn't have to be strictly international matchups.

There are a lot of great games to watch, but it depends what you want to see.
If you can get hold of replays of most of the Lions tours, you're in for a treat (normally - ignore the Woodward coached tour of NZ)
As for recent club games, the Aviva final was great this year.
For the ultimate score, look up the NZ tour of Wales, and 'that try'.
So many great games, so many great scores/tackles/sidesteps/'99's(look up the Lions your where the '99' call came in).
Hope that helps, and welcome to TRF :)

Yeah most B&I Lions games are very good. Ireland vs New Zealand and South Africa vs New Zealand (deciding test for the championship) were cracking games last year and I'd definitely recommend watching them, the 2 best international tests last year in my opinion.

2011 Heineken Cup final was pretty incredible, 22-6 down at half time to come back and win 33-22! (Hope I have those scores right)

Last night's England v New Zealand was a very good match.

actually ignore Rich Taff's British bias and go watch yourself New Zealand vs British and Irish Lions 2005, Test 2. It's hands down the single greatest performance from a fly-half in the history of Rugby. It's absolutely magnificent, you will be absolutely shocked by what you're seeing. And there's a ton of tries.

I'd obviously offer that you'd get your hands on France New Zealand 1999 at the Rugby World Cup. It's another miracle of pro Rugby. But this was literally a miracle.

Ireland v France Six Nations 2007. The suspense is crazy towards the end and the ending is nothing short of pure Hollywood. Very solid match overall.

I don't want to post too many, so trust me check those out, they're some of the very best you can watch. Especially the first 2, they're utter legends.

This is hands down the greatest game ever played:

Last edited by a moderator:
The oz v abs game in 2000/01 where oz were 3/4 scores down in the first 10-15 mins and somehow got the lead only for lomu to win it in the final seconds.

France v n.z in '99 and '07 was end of the seat stuff.

Maybe I'm biased but England v France in '03 wc in awful conditions was a great match.

The s.a v abs last season wasn't bad either ;)

I'd have to go with NZ V Sa from last years RC in Ellis park, best example of modern rugby you can get. Ireland v NZ is great for suspense.

another classic Bledisloe Cup:

You wanna have LOTS of fun, watch some modern current Rugby full of big names, full of tries, not too one-sided, and not super filled with stakes and suspense, like, an easy watch. This is your absolute winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Australia vs Samoa 2011 before the world cup was a good one.
2007 World Cup also Fiji's games against South Africa and Wales.

ab's v boks from last year definitely

i would also say the Highlanders v Crusaders from a couple of weeks ago was a great example of the next level down we lost but still loved the game

[video=dailymotion;x1wiw7f]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wiw7f_highlanders-vs-crusaders-1st-half-rd-15-super-rugby-2014_sport[/video]

Last edited:
[video=dailymotion;x1wiw7v]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wiw7v_highlanders-vs-crusaders-2nd-half-rd-15-super-rugby-2014_sport[/video]

Latest posts