• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter chiefs 2017/18 season thread. Chance to top the premiership.

The "or otherwise" bit demonstrates that the competition he plays in was not the main thrust of what I was saying. Whether he plays in the Championship for a season like Townsend or even the Mitre 10 like Nathan Earle makes little difference as long as he is getting the gametime and experience he needs to keep him improving. I'm obviously not suggesting that he spends a year having a run around with Withycombe 3rd's.

I still don't follow. The Mitre 10 is certainly not a viable option for Maunder and I'm at a loss to see what other than The Championship is. As has been pointed out, even a trip to The Championship looks unlikely now that he's involved in the EPS.

I'm tempted to suggest that you stop digging.

My thoughts on the players potentially competing for the 15:
1. Hepburn/Moon - Heburn's much better in the loose but his size makes him a bit weak in the set piece so I could see Moon starting over him. Rimmer poses no real threat to either.
2. LCD - Bolted in.
3. Williams/Holmes/Francis - I think Williams is the sure starter but Holmes and Francis are both solid competition for him.
4/5. Dennis/Lees/Hill/Armand/Caufield - Dennis/Hill would probably be the most reliable pairing but with back row stocks I'd like to see Armand given a go at lock. I can't see Lee's being anything other than an impact sub. I'd love to see Caufield have a good season and earn himself a place in the team.
6/7/8. Ewers/Armand/Kvesic/Simmonds/Waldrom - All 5 are deserving starters which is why I'd like to see Armand deployed at lock. If he is then I'd like to see a make-up of Ewers/Kvesic/Simmonds, if not then Simmonds will probably make way for Armand. Waldrom no longer makes an impact on games and frankly takes up a shirt IMO.
9. White/Maunder/Townsend/Chudley - White's most likely to start but I don't like the idea of Maunder or Townsend missing out. I'd like Maunder to start with Townsend on the bench but I doubt that'll happen. Chudley's the clear 4th choice IMO.
10. Steenson/Slade - Steenson has to start at the beginning of the season. I'd have Slade on the bench and depending on how he does coming off the bench he could take Steenson's place. Simmonds has potential but isn't ready yet.
12. Devoto/Whitten/Hill/Slade - For me Devoto is bolted on but the other 3 all pose stiff competition.
13. Devoto/Whitten/Hill/Campagnaro - Seriously competitive position. I think it's time for Whitten to be phased out but his carrying is still immense. I'd like to see Campagnaro take the shirt but Baxter seems to not like him so Hill may be more realistic. Slade-Devoto is also a possibility although not one I like.
11/14. Short/Woodburn/Nowell - Nowell is the owner of the 14 shirt. I prefer Short to Woodburn but many including Baxter don't agree.
15. Dollman/Turner/Slade/Nowell - Nowell at 15 is a failed experiment but potentially one worry trying again. Slade could do a job there but I'd rather see him raised at 10. Turner has moments of brilliance but is very unreliable so I'd go for Dollman.

1. Hepburn/Moon - Heburn's much better in the loose but his size makes him a bit weak in the set piece so I could see Moon starting over him. Rimmer poses no real threat to either.
2. LCD - Bolted in.
3. Williams/Holmes/Francis - I think Williams is the sure starter but Holmes and Francis are both solid competition for him.
4/5. Dennis/Lees/Hill/Armand/Caufield - Dennis/Hill would probably be the most reliable pairing but with back row stocks I'd like to see Armand given a go at lock. I can't see Lee's being anything other than an impact sub. I'd love to see Caufield have a good season and earn himself a place in the team.
6/7/8. Ewers/Armand/Kvesic/Simmonds/Waldrom - All 5 are deserving starters which is why I'd like to see Armand deployed at lock. If he is then I'd like to see a make-up of Ewers/Kvesic/Simmonds, if not then Simmonds will probably make way for Armand. Waldrom no longer makes an impact on games and frankly takes up a shirt IMO.
9. White/Maunder/Townsend/Chudley - White's most likely to start but I don't like the idea of Maunder or Townsend missing out. I'd like Maunder to start with Townsend on the bench but I doubt that'll happen. Chudley's the clear 4th choice IMO.
10. Steenson/Slade - Steenson has to start at the beginning of the season. I'd have Slade on the bench and depending on how he does coming off the bench he could take Steenson's place. Simmonds has potential but isn't ready yet.
12. Devoto/Whitten/Hill/Slade - For me Devoto is bolted on but the other 3 all pose stiff competition.
13. Devoto/Whitten/Hill/Campagnaro - Seriously competitive position. I think it's time for Whitten to be phased out but his carrying is still immense. I'd like to see Campagnaro take the shirt but Baxter seems to not like him so Hill may be more realistic. Slade-Devoto is also a possibility although not one I like.
11/14. Short/Woodburn/Nowell - Nowell is the owner of the 14 shirt. I prefer Short to Woodburn but many including Baxter don't agree.
15. Dollman/Turner/Slade/Nowell - Nowell at 15 is a failed experiment but potentially one worry trying again. Slade could do a job there but I'd rather see him raised at 10. Turner has moments of brilliance but is very unreliable so I'd go for Dollman.

From a neutral's point of view, it's hard to disagree with any of that really.

It's perhaps a bit harsh to say Waldrom 'no longer makes an impact'. He's definitely on the wane, but swapping him for Simmonds would completely change the dynamic of the back row. I like the idea of Kvesic/Simmonds 7/8 combo, but I think you need a brute at 6 to carry that off, so I'd say that's on hold until Ewers is fit.

Also, Salvi will presumably still feature to some degree?

From a neutral's point of view, it's hard to disagree with any of that really.

It's perhaps a bit harsh to say Waldrom 'no longer makes an impact'. He's definitely on the wane, but swapping him for Simmonds would completely change the dynamic of the back row. I like the idea of Kvesic/Simmonds 7/8 combo, but I think you need a brute at 6 to carry that off, so I'd say that's on hold until Ewers is fit.

Also, Salvi will presumably still feature to some degree?
Salvi will definitely get game time but I'm talking about our potential options as to who would start in a game in which we are putting out the very best ram we can field and in that I can't see Salvi featuring. He only covers 7 so I can't see him making the bench and he's simply not good enough to displace any of Ewers, Armand, Kvesic, Simmonds or Waldrom IMO.

Perhaps what I said about Waldrom is slightly harsh but I remember watching the Sarries semi-final when Vunipola was playing like an absolute monster, making a ton of metres off the back of every scrum and carry; and Waldrom just looking irrelevant in comparison. A lot of the time when he carries he goes no where and he does little else other than carry which is why I say he just takes up a shirt as in defence and at the breakdown he's pretty non-existent. Now I know we can't compare every 8 to Vunipola and say they're bad just because they're not as good as him, but it's the way that Waldrom simply offered nothing to worry the other team whereas Vunipola was tearing us apart. I think Simmonds, although not Vunipola, is capable of making the impact that Waldrom isn't with his pace and power. Due to his time at 7 he's also a hell of a lot better in D and at the breakdown. For me there's no debate between who start out of Simmonds and Waldrom but you are right that it'll require a big 6. Hopefully Ewers can stay fit.

Isn't Ewers inured again?
As of when? He got that knock in the semi but I thought that was only a little thing, shouldn't mesh he isn't back for the start of the season. I could be completely wrong though.

You probably know more than me. I thought it was reasonably serious?

You probably know more than me. I thought it was reasonably serious?
You could be right. I thought at first glance Baxter was talking about him potentially being available for the final but maybe it turned out to be much more serious.

I still don't follow. The Mitre 10 is certainly not a viable option for Maunder and I'm at a loss to see what other than The Championship is. As has been pointed out, even a trip to The Championship looks unlikely now that he's involved in the EPS.

I'm tempted to suggest that you stop digging.

Alright mate. As you were, then.

2. LCD - Bolted in.

I can't disagree with any of that. I would say that, although they can all jump, having a decent lineout jumper in the back row helps hugely. Saying that, I would like to see Armand at lock and I think Dennis plays much better in that position. I'm hoping to see a bit more of Sam Skinner at 6 or even 8 this season which would definitely tick that box. I agree about Waldrom. I think if Ewers had been playing more, we would have seen a lot less Waldrom. We could do with one of two more in the pack focusing on carrying but if LCD, Ewers and Hepburn can stay fit that won't be a problem and could leave room in the backrow for other qualities.

Backline has serious potential. I think Campagnaro is a game changer but maybe needs a carrier like Hill/Whitten on his inside shoulder. I'd like to see Hill step up a bit more this season. If Devoto plays at 12 then I think he does have to pace, as well as obvious power and defence, to do very well at 13. Wings are not a problem although I think Short does best later on in games when things are more broken up. He is a fantastic finisher and makes something out of nothing but he has shown a few defensive lapses that need addressing. Fullback is a hard one. I'm a fan of Turners and would like to see him given an extended run of games to prove his mettle, or otherwise. Nowell had a shocker at 15 for Chiefs last year but I think with time he would do well there.

Overall, I'm very optimistic about this squad and think the pieces are all there. As always, its about what order they are arranged.

Does it matter?

If you care about potential England players reaching their potential, then it does absolutely. I was attempting to highlight that lack of opportunities for game time that there are for promising EQPs. The fact that we're talking about a member of the EPS in this situation really highlights the problem.

Given his eagerness to rationalise his post rather than holding his hands up, it appears that it matters to brokenoses in a different way!

If you care about potential England players reaching their potential, then it does absolutely. I was attempting to highlight that lack of opportunities for game time that there are for promising EQPs. The fact that we're talking about a member of the EPS in this situation really highlights the problem.

Given his eagerness to rationalise his post rather than holding his hands up, it appears that it matters to brokenoses in a different way!

I don't actually disagree with you re. Maunder, I just thought you went a bit too far to prove a point.

I'm sure you didn't mean it to, but it came across as unnecessarily aggressive re. a difference of opinion which I suspect was probably a mistake.

Last edited:

Giving Maunder more game time was the rationale behind what I was saying. With the signing of Nic White, the return of Chudley, Stu Townsend playing his boots off, and Maunder being internationally recognised, there is a real bottleneck in this position. I think it would be a real shame for either of the two young local lads to spend a season on the training ground, so to send one of them to get gametime at a decent level elsewhere seems like a positive thing to do. Given that Townsend is nearly 2 years older than Maunder, I would say that Maunder is the player that would benefit the most from having a season elsewhere. In terms of where this gametime should come from, I don't see any problem with Maunder playing in the Championship or the Mitre 10 (or any other competition of a similar level, not sure what the Currie Cup etc. is like at the moment?). He certainly has the quality to make a real impact overseas and I think he would benefit and grow from having the experience and change in rugby culture, as many young English players would.

Redruth, we seem to be saying the same thing with regards to getting Maunder and/or Townsend gametime. Your problem seems to stem from me incorrectly saying that Maunder has previously played in the Championship. In the next post I held my hands up and said it was an ill informed assumption made by me. I don't know why you have pursued this so eagerly but lets just have a real discussion on relevant topics and stop the *** for tat playground stuff.

Nic white obv a quality player and will do alot for chiefs this season im sure but im dissapointed with the signing, i wanted to see maunder and townsend battle it out for first choice. Maunder is young but showed he had alot of talent at such a young age and is worthy of a prem place. Townsend played amazingly in high pressure semi and the final, showed he can keep his head.

Just hopig nic white can improve them with his experience, and as said in other posts reg game time in another league for one and experience with nic for the other. Next season i hope for maunder and townsend both improving and becoming better players ehen nic white leaves

Chudley is brilliant but he has a ceiling. He could get leapfrogged in years to come if not this season.

2. LCD - Bolted in.

Forwards cant fault you i like hepburn LCD Williams. Great in the loose maybe weaker at scrum time but if exeter want to play a quick game and keep alot off possesion as last season then need players to make ground and beat defenders.

Locks. Did not like armand at lock when first heard the suggestion if im honest, but it has grown on me. Dennis and armand. That leaves a 3 back row spots open while keeping one of the most valuable players on the pitch (deffinatly in may fantasy league team)

Flankers.... if ewers can get and stay fit then he should be nailed on at 6 as he is such a strong carrier, and with the power and go forward at 6 it leaves 7 for kvesic who is a complete contrast.
8. Like armand there but put him at lock and phase waldrom to the bench. He can get that last try in the closing minutes but not an 80 min player, simmonds is a good young player but inexperienced yet if he's out of his depth armand or even ewers can take 8 amd sub in a 6 or 4 or brong waldrom on obv.

9. Townsend should be first choice as he bossed it end of last season as is older than maunder needs next year as second choice at least. Maunder needs game time too this season but he is behind townsend. Obv nic white will be 1st and chudley 4th. Both townsend and maunder proved they can handle tje pressure at such a young ages. (Not unlike the curry twins)
10. Slade to start, as with waldrom i think steenson will change the game in the last 20.
12. Devoto first choice. though slade in last 20. Though devoto does drop quite abit of ball.
13.. tough for me sam hill needs more game time and to nail on that shirt though the older head of whitten is still so strong and quick.
11 14. Nowell 14 as said. Short v woodburn. Wouldburn wins in the way nowell plays for england and christian wade doesnt. Short is powerful quick and a great try scorer but lacks in many areas. Def for one. Have to pick your team to play short against.
And 15 dollmen when fit i really do rate but hes getting on isnt he? Turner i do like tbh.

My 23 v gloucester (first 3 games)
1 hepburn
2 LCD
3 williams
4 Armand (lees, if ewers injured)
5 dennis
6 ewers (armand, if injured still)
7 kvesic
8 simmons
9 townsend
10 slade
11 woodburn
12 devoto
13 hill
14 nowell
15 turner

16 yendle
17 moon
18 holmes
19 lees (hill, makes bench if ewers injured still)
20 waldrom
21 white (paid of him may as well use him but i like maunder)
22 steenson
23 whitten

Key players
slade as a 10
Nowell
LCD
And the development of kvesic

Want thrm kicking down englands door. (Slade wont be a 10 for england but can be a strong 12 IMO)

Written more than i thought but oh well :)

Forwards cant fault you i like hepburn LCD Williams. Great in the loose maybe weaker at scrum time but if exeter want to play a quick game and keep alot off possesion as last season then need players to make ground and beat defenders.

Locks. Did not like armand at lock when first heard the suggestion if im honest, but it has grown on me. Dennis and armand. That leaves a 3 back row spots open while keeping one of the most valuable players on the pitch (deffinatly in may fantasy league team)

Flankers.... if ewers can get and stay fit then he should be nailed on at 6 as he is such a strong carrier, and with the power and go forward at 6 it leaves 7 for kvesic who is a complete contrast.
8. Like armand there but put him at lock and phase waldrom to the bench. He can get that last try in the closing minutes but not an 80 min player, simmonds is a good young player but inexperienced yet if he's out of his depth armand or even ewers can take 8 amd sub in a 6 or 4 or brong waldrom on obv.

9. Townsend should be first choice as he bossed it end of last season as is older than maunder needs next year as second choice at least. Maunder needs game time too this season but he is behind townsend. Obv nic white will be 1st and chudley 4th. Both townsend and maunder proved they can handle tje pressure at such a young ages. (Not unlike the curry twins)
10. Slade to start, as with waldrom i think steenson will change the game in the last 20.
12. Devoto first choice. though slade in last 20. Though devoto does drop quite abit of ball.
13.. tough for me sam hill needs more game time and to nail on that shirt though the older head of whitten is still so strong and quick.
11 14. Nowell 14 as said. Short v woodburn. Wouldburn wins in the way nowell plays for england and christian wade doesnt. Short is powerful quick and a great try scorer but lacks in many areas. Def for one. Have to pick your team to play short against.
And 15 dollmen when fit i really do rate but hes getting on isnt he? Turner i do like tbh.

My 23 v gloucester (first 3 games)
1 hepburn
2 LCD
3 williams
4 Armand (lees, if ewers injured)
5 dennis
6 ewers (armand, if injured still)
7 kvesic
8 simmons
9 townsend
10 slade
11 woodburn
12 devoto
13 hill
14 nowell
15 turner

16 yendle
17 moon
18 holmes
19 lees (hill, makes bench if ewers injured still)
20 waldrom
21 white (paid of him may as well use him but i like maunder)
22 steenson
23 whitten

Key players
slade as a 10
Nowell
LCD
And the development of kvesic

Want thrm kicking down englands door. (Slade wont be a 10 for england but can be a strong 12 IMO)

Written more than i thought but oh well :)

Pretty decent 23 although I would argue that 4-8 is fairly lightweight, apart from Ewers obviously. I know Dennis and Armand are big guys but they are pretty athletic and lack the sheer bulk of someone like Lees. If Simmonds and Kvesic are on at the same time then it would make a very pacey and dynamic back row. The problem then is the pack may need a bit more weight in the engine room, and as Toby mentioned, a third pair of hands to throw at in the lineout. With regards to the bench, I think the 23 shirt should go to a back 3 player given the makeup of the starting backline. Slade, Nowell and Turner (Turner has played OC before coming to Chiefs) can all cover at least one of the centres whereas if a winger goes off injured, there could be a problem. Whitten is an outstanding centre and although he has played on the wing plenty of times, I think he is wasted there. Somebody like Short or Bodily may be better suited with the 23 shirt to offer the most cover from the bench.

I agree with your key players. I think it is crucial to invest the time into Slade becoming Exeters premier 10 by the end of the season. LCD, Nowell and I would add Campagnaro, are all high quality players and real game changers. Kvesic as well could be a real asset and may benefit from Salvi's influence, and in turn help bring on the development of Sam Simmonds. Jonny Hill is another player who I think could make a real impact this season. He showed his quality last year, and with the departure of Parling he takes the reigns at lineout time where he could really come into his own.

Pretty decent 23 although I would argue that 4-8 is fairly lightweight, apart from Ewers obviously. I know Dennis and Armand are big guys but they are pretty athletic and lack the sheer bulk of someone like Lees. If Simmonds and Kvesic are on at the same time then it would make a very pacey and dynamic back row. The problem then is the pack may need a bit more weight in the engine room, and as Toby mentioned, a third pair of hands to throw at in the lineout. With regards to the bench, I think the 23 shirt should go to a back 3 player given the makeup of the starting backline. Slade, Nowell and Turner (Turner has played OC before coming to Chiefs) can all cover at least one of the centres whereas if a winger goes off injured, there could be a problem. Whitten is an outstanding centre and although he has played on the wing plenty of times, I think he is wasted there. Somebody like Short or Bodily may be better suited with the 23 shirt to offer the most cover from the bench.

I agree with your key players. I think it is crucial to invest the time into Slade becoming Exeters premier 10 by the end of the season. LCD, Nowell and I would add Campagnaro, are all high quality players and real game changers. Kvesic as well could be a real asset and may benefit from Salvi's influence, and in turn help bring on the development of Sam Simmonds. Jonny Hill is another player who I think could make a real impact this season. He showed his quality last year, and with the departure of Parling he takes the reigns at lineout time where he could really come into his own.

Light 4 to 8 maybe but im not against having lees and armand at 4 and 5. Ewers not massive but powerful. But simmonds i dont really know loads about isnt he that big?

Deffinatly add short if you want wing cover at 23 rather than utility player of whitten. He is a proven finisher. Against tired legs

Alot of players i didnt mention but we have a good strong team even losing parling im optimistic for another good season.

Kvesic is an experiment tbh, he needs to improve his all round game. Stealing amd slowing the ball he is brilliant at but he isnt a strong carrier and not sure about his defence?

We need 15 points frim the first 3 games to have a dominant season, in a good position for a tough game against wasps. Cannot wait.

Light 4 to 8 maybe but im not against having lees and armand at 4 and 5. Ewers not massive but powerful. But simmonds i dont really know loads about isnt he that big?

Deffinatly add short if you want wing cover at 23 rather than utility player of whitten. He is a proven finisher. Against tired legs

Alot of players i didnt mention but we have a good strong team even losing parling im optimistic for another good season.

Kvesic is an experiment tbh, he needs to improve his all round game. Stealing amd slowing the ball he is brilliant at but he isnt a strong carrier and not sure about his defence?

We need 15 points frim the first 3 games to have a dominant season, in a good position for a tough game against wasps. Cannot wait.

Ewers is listed as 1.93 m (6 ft 4) and 128 kg (just over 20 stone), which is huge, and if anything he looks to have put on mass in the last year. Bear in mind that Billy Vunipola is listed as 1.88 m (6 ft 2) and 126 kg (19 stone 12). Simmonds is 1.83 m (6 ft) and somewhere around 100 kg (16 stone), which is considerably smaller. They are very different types of players with different skill sets. Ewers is a powerhouse blindside/8 and Simmonds is a speedy and skillful 7 (used at 8 by Chiefs last season) who has played a fair bit of sevens rugby.

I remember Rob Baxter saying somewhere that he is keen for Kvesic to take on more of an attacking role with Chiefs, linking the forwards with the backs like an old school openside. It will be interesting to see how he develops this year but it certainly seems like Chiefs will take him in a slightly different direction than Gloucester were (although to be honest they weren't really using him at all last season). Either way I think that having Kvesic and Simmonds playing together has its advantages but they are relatively similar players so the imbalance would have to be addressed elsewhere in the pack.

Last edited:
This talk of lineout options and light weighntess has caused me to realise that my pack of:
1. Hepburn
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Dennis
5. Armand
6. Ewers
7. Kvesic
8. Simmonds
Is actually pretty ridiculous. No lineout option in the back row and an incredibly light weight pack. For a prop, Hepburn is tiny and any back row with both Simmonds and Kvesic is gonna be a bit too small. Add in the fact that you've got a flanker at lock and that pack isn't going to survive, especially with the style of play that Chiefs like to play.

All things considered, my ideal pack is now:
1. Moon
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Dennis
5. Hill
6. Armand
7. Kvesic
8. Ewers

16. Yeandle
17. Hepburn
18. Francis
19. Lees
20. Simmonds

I've brought Moon in for Hepburn to sure up the set piece and to bring some weight to the pack. At 106kg Hepburn simply isn't big enough. He can come on once play has opened up and he can make an impact in the loose.

Hill has come in at lock as, most importantly, he's a lock. He's a good lineout option and has quite a bit of potential. Alongside Dennis' maturity the two could form a very solid pairing.

Armand's replaced Simmonds in the back row as he is who I believe to be the best lineout back row in the Premiership as well as that he brings a lot more muscle than Simmonds. Which way around Armand and Ewers go at 6 and 8 is anyone's guess, Baxter seems to prefer Armand at 8 but to me Ewers makes more sense. Simmonds can come on for Ewers at around 50 minutes to add some real pace to the back row to keep the opposition on their toes.

This talk of lineout options and light weighntess has caused me to realise that my pack of:
1. Hepburn
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Dennis
5. Armand
6. Ewers
7. Kvesic
8. Simmonds
Is actually pretty ridiculous. No lineout option in the back row and an incredibly light weight pack. For a prop, Hepburn is tiny and any back row with both Simmonds and Kvesic is gonna be a bit too small. Add in the fact that you've got a flanker at lock and that pack isn't going to survive, especially with the style of play that Chiefs like to play.

All things considered, my ideal pack is now:
1. Moon
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Dennis
5. Hill
6. Armand
7. Kvesic
8. Ewers

16. Yeandle
17. Hepburn
18. Francis
19. Lees
20. Simmonds

I've brought Moon in for Hepburn to sure up the set piece and to bring some weight to the pack. At 106kg Hepburn simply isn't big enough. He can come on once play has opened up and he can make an impact in the loose.

Hill has come in at lock as, most importantly, he's a lock. He's a good lineout option and has quite a bit of potential. Alongside Dennis' maturity the two could form a very solid pairing.

Armand's replaced Simmonds in the back row as he is who I believe to be the best lineout back row in the Premiership as well as that he brings a lot more muscle than Simmonds. Which way around Armand and Ewers go at 6 and 8 is anyone's guess, Baxter seems to prefer Armand at 8 but to me Ewers makes more sense. Simmonds can come on for Ewers at around 50 minutes to add some real pace to the back row to keep the opposition on their toes.
Looking at both options you've listed above says one thing to me, a couple of serious injuries along with international call ups and we'll struggle, still short of an international standard lock and an upgrade in the 16 shirt for me....

Latest posts