• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter chiefs 2017/18 season thread. Chance to top the premiership.

Looking at both options you've listed above says one thing to me, a couple of serious injuries along with international call ups and we'll struggle, still short of an international standard lock and an upgrade in the 16 shirt for me....
I'm not hugely worried on the depth. At LH Rimmer's nothing special but he's a solid 3rd choice, our depth at TH is the best in the prem with Williams, Francis, Holmes and Low. In the back row it says something that Waldrom doesn't even make my 23, him, Horstmann and Salvi are all fully capable of stepping up into the starting team. I will admit however that stocks at lock and hooker are worrying, especially seeing as LCD is our forward most likely to get an England call up. I would say that the one benefit of having no truly quality locks means that if the starters are injured there's no real drop in quality with whoever steps in. That's an incredibly thin silver lining though.

I really hope LCD doesnt get injured, we have no cover at his level as said. I get starting moon for hepburn but LCD and hepburn play well together. That partnership especially in the loose could be strong. Suppose it is about balance between set piece dominance and mobile players that are better in the loose.

Hard to choose players for my fantasy league, which if any props do i use and who will be the first choice :)

you guys should join, there is a thread for the rugby magazine fantasy league, there is also a rugby forum private league thats been set up by someone on here, so its not all just talk we can actually see who knows the most over the season :)

@scotty507

Ok so on your post in the other thread, I can't see Armand playing in the second row. If that option interested Baxter he would've throws it out yesterday in the preseason. I can't see him having a player make that big of a switch during the season, it would've been done in pre-season.

So on Ewers' return it's really going to depend on who's performing in the back row. It could mean that the back-row is any of:
6. Ewers
7. Kvesic
8. Simmonds
20. Armand
(Unlikely, I doubt Armand will be the player not performing)

6. Ewers
7. Armand
8. Simmonds
20. Kvesic/Waldrom
(More likely if Kvesic doesn't fit well into the Chiefs game plan)

6. Armand
7. Kvesic
8. Ewers
20. Simmonds
(Quite likely given Simmonds' size)

6. Armand
7. Kvesic
8. Simmonds
20. Ewers
(Most likely. This is what the back row will likely be up until Ewers' return and frankly as good as Ewers is, unless that back row really isn't working I can't see him displacing any of the incumbent players. He would bring lots of impact off the bench and covers 6 and 8.)

On your comment about forward imoact off the bench I think we're well equipped there. With the exception of Yeandle, all of our bench (which I expect to be Yeandle, Hepburn, Francis, Lees and Ewers) will be adding power and aggression to the side when they come on.

@scotty507

Ok so on your post in the other thread, I can't see Armand playing in the second row. If that option interested Baxter he would've throws it out yesterday in the preseason. I can't see him having a player make that big of a switch during the season, it would've been done in pre-season.

So on Ewers' return it's really going to depend on who's performing in the back row. It could mean that the back-row is any of:
6. Ewers
7. Kvesic
8. Simmonds
20. Armand
(Unlikely, I doubt Armand will be the player not performing)

6. Ewers
7. Armand
8. Simmonds
20. Kvesic/Waldrom
(More likely if Kvesic doesn't fit well into the Chiefs game plan)

6. Armand
7. Kvesic
8. Ewers
20. Simmonds
(Quite likely given Simmonds' size)

6. Armand
7. Kvesic
8. Simmonds
20. Ewers
(Most likely. This is what the back row will likely be up until Ewers' return and frankly as good as Ewers is, unless that back row really isn't working I can't see him displacing any of the incumbent players. He would bring lots of impact off the bench and covers 6 and 8.)

On your comment about forward imoact off the bench I think we're well equipped there. With the exception of Yeandle, all of our bench (which I expect to be Yeandle, Hepburn, Francis, Lees and Ewers) will be adding power and aggression to the side when they come on.

Yeh your right tbh, and armand is solid and consistant would be harsh to bench him except to give young guys experience in lesser games or lv cup.
Ok so armand not in the second row makes sense, hope ypung guus come up and gain experience like jonny hill.

Cant wait for the scrum half battle though thats the big one for me but enoughs been spoke about that we will have to wait and see :)

And thanks for moving the chat to this thread :)

Looking at the lineups yesterday, it was interesting to see that the two back rows:

vs. Dragons: 6. Skinner 7. Simmonds 8. Armand

vs. Cornish Pirates: 6. Freeman 7. Salvi 8. Kvesic

I didn't see Waldrom among the replacements (??) and obviously Ewers is out, so that may have factored in to Kvesic playing at 8, but neither of those are the lineups I would have anticipated.

On the one hand I'm pleased to see Simmonds at 7 as I think this is where he is best utilised, but on the other, I'd say he's more of an accomplished 8 than Kvesic.

Is it possible that Baxter thinks Kvesic and Simmonds are competing for one shirt?

Looking at the lineups yesterday, it was interesting to see that the two back rows:

vs. Dragons: 6. Skinner 7. Simmonds 8. Armand

vs. Cornish Pirates: 6. Freeman 7. Salvi 8. Kvesic

I didn't see Waldrom among the replacements (??) and obviously Ewers is out, so that may have factored in to Kvesic playing at 8, but neither of those are the lineups I would have anticipated.

On the one hand I'm pleased to see Simmonds at 7 as I think this is where he is best utilised, but on the other, I'd say he's more of an accomplished 8 than Kvesic.

Is it possible that Baxter thinks Kvesic and Simmonds are competing for one shirt?
Not sure where you got that Dragons line-up from, it was 6. Skinner 7. Armand 8. Simmonds (Armand and Skinner played left and right flanks, not blindside and openside). Waldrom was on the bench, came on to score a try (only a maul). I think the reasoning behind Kvesic at 8 was that Baxter has said in the past that he wants to use Kvesic in more of a link-man role and to improve his carrying game. Getting him game time at 8 in the pre-season was probably the best way at for him to improve in these areas. I seriously doubt that he actually sees him as being an 8.

It was interesting to see Skinner in what seemed to be the first team rather than Salvi. He's a big lad so he could well be being groomed to fill the Ewers role.

Toby Salmon, the new second row, also looks to be a good signing. I can see him working his way into the first team this season, he looked be a very strong ball carrier and had a good work rate too. Unless I'm mistaken he's come from Jersey so he's only going to improve in the Premiership environment. I, aswell as the others that I was with were all very impressed by him.

Last edited:
I got it from the Chiefs' website. It stood out as being odd and is now on the same article in the order you've listed, so I wonder whether it was incorrect when I saw it and then corrected?

I can't say I know a huge amount about Skinner TBH, but I'm always happy to see young English players getting game time.

Similarly, I know very little about Salmon or Freeman, but players from the Championship seem to have a good record of stepping-up at Exeter. Williams is probably the poster-boy for that given he also came from Jersey IIRC?

There are a few from the Championship I'll be curious to see such as Boyce at Quins, Burrows at Newcastle, Holmes at Leicester and Kerrod at Worcester.

I got it from the Chiefs' website. It stood out as being odd and is now on the same article in the order you've listed, so I wonder whether it was incorrect when I saw it and then corrected?

I can't say I know a huge amount about Skinner TBH, but I'm always happy to see young English players getting game time.

Similarly, I know very little about Salmon or Freeman, but players from the Championship seem to have a good record of stepping-up at Exeter. Williams is probably the poster-boy for that given he also came from Jersey IIRC?

There are a few from the Championship I'll be curious to see such as Boyce at Quins, Burrows at Newcastle, Holmes at Leicester and Kerrod at Worcester.
Jersey have been breeding some real talent, we (my club) toured there last season and their youth system is very impressive. Think they said 6 of their 1st team forwards are going into the Prem this year. If they're able to hold onto their players I can definitely see Jersey going into the Prem in the next couple of years.

Jersey deserve a lot of credit for sure.

Salmon, Freeman and Kerrod are 3 of the 6. I seem to remember another one of their locks also going to Worcester but without searching for it, I have no idea on his name, or of the other two.

The problem they have is he same as most Championship sides - i.e. promotion is financially impossible and they don't have the stadium for it. Being an island, fans getting to Jersey in Premiership numbers would be logistically difficult too.

Also, with the first past the post system, I imagine that the side relegated the previous season will win the league more often than not.

For example, if London Irish or Worcester were to be relegated, few would bet against an immediate return.

Jersey are probably going to stay as a very good feeder club for the Premiership.

Jersey deserve a lot of credit for sure.

Salmon, Freeman and Kerrod are 3 of the 6. I seem to remember another one of their locks also going to Worcester but without searching for it, I have no idea on his name, or of the other two.

The problem they have is he same as most Championship sides - i.e. promotion is financially impossible and they don't have the stadium for it. Being an island, fans getting to Jersey in Premiership numbers would be logistically difficult too.

Also, with the first past the post system, I imagine that the side relegated the previous season will win the league more often than not.

For example, if London Irish or Worcester were to be relegated, few would bet against an immediate return.

Jersey are probably going to stay as a very good feeder club for the Premiership.
Your right I hadn't thought at all about the practical side of it, they have no chance of going into the Prem. But as you say they're a fantastic feeder club, I've been in and around the Chiefs academy system for a couple of years now and Jersey's youth system makes the Chiefs look amateur.

Jersey have been breeding some real talent, we (my club) toured there last season and their youth system is very impressive. Think they said 6 of their 1st team forwards are going into the Prem this year. If they're able to hold onto their players I can definitely see Jersey going into the Prem in the next couple of years.

Did they also tell you that they had to sell their ground to fund their overspending? I know they have an option to buy it back within a set timeframe, but I have no idea if they are on target to do this, but I've seen little evidence of cloth cutting (maybe this season?) talk about the ability to make a significant profit. I wish them no ill, but I'd say that given their well-documented financial troubles, I'd say that they're more likely to find themselves in National 1 than in the AP.

On the other thread there was talk of Waldrom being a goal hanger. Maybe, but getting over the line's what the game's all about.

When you see the number of aimless carries into a brick wall near the line, someone with a bit of positional nous is to be welcomed. But that's providing the rest of their game stacks up, which may no longer be the case with the Tank.

Similarly I'd usually opt for a winger with a nose for the line over one with an "all round" game. Little annoys me more than butchered scoring opportunities. Teams work very hard for position and you do need people to finish them off, especially in close games.

On the other thread there was talk of Waldrom being a goal hanger. Maybe, but getting over the line's what the game's all about.

When you see the number of aimless carries into a brick wall near the line, someone with a bit of positional nous is to be welcomed. But that's providing the rest of their game stacks up, which may no longer be the case with the Tank.

Similarly I'd usually opt for a winger with a nose for the line over one with an "all round" game. Little annoys me more than butchered scoring opportunities. Teams work very hard for position and you do need people to finish them off, especially in close games.
I like having one of each. The 11 to be a real try scorer and the 14 to be an all rounder who works off his wing. Otherwise we'd be dropping Nowell.

I like having one of each. The 11 to be a real try scorer and the 14 to be an all rounder who works off his wing. Otherwise we'd be dropping Nowell.

100% agree
With nowell woodburn and short.
First choice is nowell. He isnt the out and out try scorer of short but his 'all round' game has stopped so many tries. Such a high workrate and is a good finisher and counter attacker

Second choice woodburn, he is solid an all round reliable player. Who has an eye for the try line and makes metres and doesnt lack in defensive capabilities. Get why hes not with england but he is solid

So first and second choice are both 'all rounders' or work rate players.

Third choice short. Out and out try scorer, has pace power and will score more tries than either of the others. But lacks in most other aspects that the others are pretty strong in. Great bench player, bring on a try scorer for the last 20 to get that bonus point but doesnt hold a candle to the other for the full 80. He would start against the likes of Lirish or worcester to build a lead against a weaker team and to rest the others.

What was said before i get but someone who is just a strong finisher can be good or bad if they lack in other areas.

Also check out the fantasy rugby, fantasy aviva premiership. Still got time to get your team in, only 8 signed up so far to the Rugby Forum league set up. Want more chiefs fan in the league.
Give it a go lets see what we actually know when out to the test.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/the-rugby-magazine-fantasy-rugby.39838/

Re post this link on the forum get more involved.

Changed my team about 8 times, the season hasnt even started yet :)

Pitch over, back to chiefs stuff :)

Last edited:
100% agree
With nowell woodburn and short.
First choice is nowell. He isnt the out and out try scorer of short but his 'all round' game has stopped so many tries. Such a high workrate and is a good finisher and counter attacker

Second choice woodburn, he is solid an all round reliable player. Who has an eye for the try line and makes metres and doesnt lack in defensive capabilities. Get why hes not with england but he is solid

So first and second choice are both 'all rounders' or work rate players.

Third choice short. Out and out try scorer, has pace power and will score more tries than either of the others. But lacks in most other aspects that the others are pretty strong in. Great bench player, bring on a try scorer for the last 20 to get that bonus point but doesnt hold a candle to the other for the full 80. He would start against the likes of Lirish or worcester to build a lead against a weaker team and to rest the others.

What was said before i get but someone who is just a strong finisher can be good or bad if they lack in other areas.

Also check out the fantasy rugby, fantasy aviva premiership. Still got time to get your team in, only 8 signed up so far to the Rugby Forum league set up. Want more chiefs fan in the league.
Give it a go lets see what we actually know when out to the test.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/the-rugby-magazine-fantasy-rugby.39838/

Re post this link on the forum get more involved.

Changed my team about 8 times, the season hasnt even started yet :)

Pitch over, back to chiefs stuff :)
I'd have Short over Woodburn. That's no disrespect to Woodburn, he's top quality, but Short is my preference. As you said, both Nowell and Woodburn are more in the work rate mould so starting both seems off balance and IMO with both of them the backline lacks strike rate. I fail to see any weaknesses is Short's play, people seem to think he lacks defensively but I've never noticed it. Woodburn on the other hand can often be guilty of trying to force a play or an offload and it not working out, similar to Slade. It's a close call but Short is my preference.

On the Fantasy Rugby I will be signing up but I'm gonna wait until a bit closer to the start of the season o get a better idea of the teams and players likely to be fielded.

I'd have Short over Woodburn. That's no disrespect to Woodburn, he's top quality, but Short is my preference. As you said, both Nowell and Woodburn are more in the work rate mould so starting both seems off balance and IMO with both of them the backline lacks strike rate. I fail to see any weaknesses is Short's play, people seem to think he lacks defensively but I've never noticed it. Woodburn on the other hand can often be guilty of trying to force a play or an offload and it not working out, similar to Slade. It's a close call but Short is my preference.

On the Fantasy Rugby I will be signing up but I'm gonna wait until a bit closer to the start of the season o get a better idea of the teams and players likely to be fielded.

Fair enough mate nothing youve said is wrong i just prefer him at 23

Fantasy id start now. Has to be in by the 1st and can make as many changes as you want until tgen so best to get a base team then tweak

Not Chiefs strongest team but come on chiefs we can smash Gloucester.

Cannot wait for this season

1. Moon
2. Yendle
3. Williams
4. Atkins
5. Hill
6. Dennis
7. Armand
8. Simmonds

9. White
10. Steeeno
11. Bodily
12. Whitten
13. Sladey
14. Woodburn
15. Dollman

16. Taioni
17. Rimmer
18. Francias
19. Skinner
20. Kvesic
21. Maunder
22. Nowell
23. Turner

Cannot wait! Come on chiefs fans.

Come on chiefs 2 great trys and 2 lots of letting up 5m from your line! We should win this but it could go either way. Need to get woodburn into the game. Gloucester closing it down well.

Be interesting to see how they go out at Sixways. Can't see Nic White having back-to-back bad ones... and even though it wasn't his best I'm liking how he's combining at the back with Simmonds.

Latest posts