• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter Chiefs 2018/19

Scotty

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Exeter
It's about time we had this seasons thread up and running for all things Chiefs.

Pre season loss to cornish pirates with a second team but a solid win against blues puts us in an interesting place for the start of the season, see how we fair against munster.

So players,

Looks like devoto and Campanero are back which is a boost.

Cordero staying but yet to make a massive impression and Cuthbert who im really not sold on.

Waldrom gone and no signings to replace him so who will it be?

Tuima? Young but big guy yet is that enough to mean hes ready or does he need more experience to step up?

Lawday? Strong 7s player and captained the 7s side(may be wrong).

Last season i thought mitch lees wasnt looking on his best form and was hoping for a new signing in this department, hill and skinner have stepped up but using another academy player means 3 young locks.

Just a general thread for you to have your say. What do you guys think is the way forward? In general and with the points ive made?

First game v Tigers. They seem to have made some good signings in spencer,thomson and denton so that cpuld be a very tough game.

So against tigers i can see our squad being similar to the final, with a few returning players,

Hepburn
LCD
Williams
Hill
Skinner
Ewers
Armand
Skinner
White
Steenson ( experienced head to start the season, JSimmonds to be the no1 starter as the season goes on)
Woodburn
Devoto (back from injury, hopfully finds his form)
Slade
Nowell
Dollmen or cordero? Prob dollmen as cordero was a wing in the pre season)

Yendle
Moon
Holmes
Lees (although not a big fan, he hasnt been on form, not sure anyone else is ready)
Kvesic (lawday/tuima getting shots through the season)
Townsend (still want to know where maunders gone)
JSimmonds
Cuthberts/cordero

Thats who i think will start vs tigers but few positions im not sure about.

Cannot work out if its good or bad having next to no signings as although we havnt strengthened the team much, we have an establisted team without having to bed new players in so we can just play first few games as the strong established team and trickle in young prospects throughout the season. Just my thoughts :)

I can't remember where I read it, but there's an article somewhere linking you with Vaea Fifita on a short-term loan. Definitely an upgrade on Mitch Lees.

I think your squad there is about right although I assume you meant to put Sam Simmonds at 8 and not Skinner twice? Has Ewers featured in pre-season? I don't think he's played which might suggest he's not fit. If that's the case, I can see Baxter starting with Armand, Kvesic and Simmonds (the same back row that played against Cardiff.

I'd also imagine that Joe Simmonds will be given the opportunity ahead of Steenson.

Yeh Simmonds. Fifita would be a great signing! But seems its only rumours at this stage. Be great player for hill and skinner to learn from. Maybe they saving ewers for munster gamr and leave out say simmonds or armand as they are going to play alot of minutes this season.

If Ewers is injured and Fifita's being linked on a short term deal then I imagine he'd be coming as a 6 rather than a second row.

If Ewers is injured and Fifita's being linked on a short term deal then I imagine he'd be coming as a 6 rather than a second row.

Yeah - that's what I assumed too. Although Fifita is a very different type of 6 to Ewers. I see him as more of a rangy, athletic, Tom Croft type wherecas Ewers is more of a bulldozer.

In all accounts I've read, the back row of Armand, Kvesic and Simmonds seems to have worked pretty well.

IMO, that's your best three back row players but it does lack bulk/a heavy carrier. Fifita would add quality, but he wouldn't be an obvious choice for that role. If they're going for an SH loan, they might be better off looking at someone like Higginbotham from the Reds to add to your Aussie stocks.

Firstly thanks @scotty507 for starting this season's Chiefs thread:)....

Just my opinion which I know is worth sod all but here goes:D, Two signing brought in, TWO!!!!!!!!!!, neither will probably make the first 15 on a regular basis, so we've essentially added number's to our bulging squad, would love to see first teamers bought in and the squad being trimmed, a smaller squad but more quality. In Rob Baxter I trust with the slight difference this season now being as a fan I am a bit weary of the gameplan moving forward, our plan 'A' is good but as we found out if it's not working then we're pretty much screwed and the better team's both in the prem and Europe will work us out...

The team is essentially made up of England 'B' or Saxons players (Hepburn's 4/5th choice when everyone's fit, LCD 3rd, Williams 3rd and so on with Nowell being the exception on form when fit he's a starting test winger) and good solid prem player's, so I think we'll make top 4 again...

Pleased Kvesic has had a good pre season, always been a fan and would like to see him at 7, and to get our best players on the pitch I'd like to see Ewers at 6, Kvesic 7 and Simmonds 8 with Armand at lock, won't happen but It would work a treat IMO...

The squad has reduced a bit. 7 leavers 2 joined. I would say cuthbert is in with a shout of starting.

Great start for the chiefs, to keep a team like tigers down at 6 points and put 40 past them is an achievment in itself, alot of promise from out attack aswell, granted i was watching it on my phone but still we looked sharp.

Who really stood out? As i said i was watching it on my phone lol and ot kept crapping out.

For me Kvesic and Devoto were the best starters, Slade looked decent, but it's always easier to show well from the bench

I've just got back from holiday. I've been following scores and seen some highlights but I noticed that Skinner had gone off early when he only scored me 2 points in the fantasy rugby. I'm assuming he went off injured? What happened?

Yeh skinner screwed mr over in the fantasy league haha, went off at 10 min, great game i was at the ricoh but tbh not sure what happened i just hope he's not injured.

10 points from 10, 2 wins from 2, and they are prob 2 of the 3 teams im worried about us losing too in the league, sarries being the obvious other. Maybe Gloucester. Next games based on their form and ours, we should be on for a clean slate by round one of europe. I know i know way too optimistic but still thats my prediction :)

Any insight in to the injuries for Sam Simmonds, Skinner and Kvesic?

So with cordero, woodburn, nowell and cuthbert all fit and available who's going to move to our first choice 11, 14 and 23 and who misses out. And who is our second choice 15 atm? I like dolmen but still dont rate him that highly. He gets injured, nowells played there but my thoughts would be cordero?

Latest posts