• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter Chiefs thread

I've been saying for a little while now that I think Jenkins is even more promising than Tshiunza. He isn't nearly as athletic and won't get the highlight reel moments that Christ does but he's a proper lock who loves the set piece and the dog work. A lot of young locks that are his height (6'7) struggle to keep on weight but Jenkins is already a whisker off 120kg and looks very comfortable at that weight with plenty of room to add more on.

All that said, he (like Tshiunza IMO) isn't ready for international rugby yet and I can't really see him being ready for next year's World Cup either. Despite his being captain for Chiefs this past weekend, I don't think Jenkins is really anywhere close to pushing for our 1st choice 23 yet when everyone is fit. He's still fairly regularly playing for Exeter Uni. I know that Wales' lock stocks aren't great but there are still a fair few who are better than Jenkins is right now. To me this is just a case of Wales being desperate to tie down a young option who I don't think would ever consider playing for anyone but Wales anyway. And as you say, it just means that he's going to have to leave Chiefs sooner rather than later which (and I am biased) I think is definitely the best place for him to be.
I think we're just desperate full stop. I don't think we're desperate to tie him down per se.

I think they're definitely considering him as a bolter for the WC. Whether he's ready or not is another question, you're probably right but fingers crossed he can add something in an area we lack. Definitely desperate, though, and that in itself should never be the main driver but I guess they'll say it's a risk worth taking given their potential. If Jenkins is captaining Exeter (I know it's international and he's not in the main 23 at the moment) at 19 that is impressive and suggests an exceptional mentality at that age which could be key in him making an impact even though he's inexperienced.

Anyone know how long Tshiunza and Dafydd Jenkins contracts are? Happy for both that they are getting international recognition but dont want to lose them.

Anyone know how long Tshiunza and Dafydd Jenkins contracts are? Happy for both that they are getting international recognition but dont want to lose them.
I tried to find out online but couldn't seem to find anything. Same with LRZ. I think they keep these things more guarded especially with younger players. If you find out let me know, though.

I tried to find out online but couldn't seem to find anything. Same with LRZ. I think they keep these things more guarded especially with younger players. If you find out let me know, though.
Honestly surely it would be a better policy to to say players who play for Wales must play for a welsh club when a new contract is signed, unless you are playing for a club who's academy you went through, meaning the likes of Tshiunza and LRZ could repay their clubs and be an international.

I didn't watch the match but it looks like Greg Fisilau had an outstanding debut for Chiefs in the Prem Cup. Looks like he could be competing for game time in the Prem sooner rather than later.

I found it interesting that Tuima shifted to 6 and Fisilau started at 8 for this game; you'd expect them to be the other way around really. Had a very 6. Ewers 8. Simmonds look to it in terms of the styles of players.

I didn't watch the match but it looks like Greg Fisilau had an outstanding debut for Chiefs in the Prem Cup. Looks like he could be competing for game time in the Prem sooner rather than later.

I found it interesting that Tuima shifted to 6 and Fisilau started at 8 for this game; you'd expect them to be the other way around really. Had a very 6. Ewers 8. Simmonds look to it in terms of the styles of players.
No way are we competing to get top 4 this season even when internationals are back, to many new faces in the squad, we need to still work to win but use this as a development season as we seem to have alot of up and coming talent. Such as Fusilau, Hodge, John ect., never massively rated Tuima as he just isnt very effective even with his size.

No way are we competing to get top 4 this season even when internationals are back, to many new faces in the squad, we need to still work to win but use this as a development season as we seem to have alot of up and coming talent. Such as Fusilau, Hodge, John ect., never massively rated Tuima as he just isnt very effective even with his size.
I was in the same boat as you with Tuima but by many accounts he's finally taking a step up this season. Admittedly, I haven't had the chance to watch him much but by the sounds of it he's really upped his fitness and is a lot more dynamic around the park.

Just looking at photos of him now I do think it's very noticeable that he's shifted some bad weight and added on quite a bit more muscle, particularly on his upper body.

I don't expect him to ever be pushing for international honours or anything (at least for England; although I could potentially see Fiji come sniffing) but he has gone up in my estimations. I see him as a real squad option for Chiefs now, whereas before I thought he was doomed to a career in the Champ after he'd aged out of the Academy. He's certainly got his work cut out for him though between Tshiunza, Capstick, Fisilau, and Pearson who also seems to have made real progress.

Saw Pirates play Ampthill at the Mennaye; it was a low-skill and largely low-excitement game, but Tuima was absolutely amazing at that level. Clearly the best player on the park by an order of magnitude. I don't think there's any reason why he can't make it at Prem level and, with improvement, beyond.

Is that not just juggling debts if he owns the club as well?
He doesn't own the club though (I think that's right).
He just owns them in the way that the maffia owns various politicians - they're technically free to make different decisions to his, it's just that they can't afford to piss him off.

So in 23, Simmonds off, LCD off, Nowell heavily rumoured to be off. Slade is also of similar vintage, has grown up with those boys and would be amazing if he hasn't at least had thoughts along similar lines. He's as sure of his place in the national set up as LCD.

Not saying they're individually irreplaceable players, but local boys who've been the heartbeat of the side and culture and a big part of the Exeter story that (at least used to) make them everyone's 2nd team.

Results aren't what they have been anyhow. Are there choppy waters ahead?

Obviously all of the players who are leaving will be losses but honestly I'm not too worried. We know that we're in a rebuilding phase at the moment and losing the high-budget older players was always going to be a part of that.

We have a genuinely talented crop of youngsters coming through and Baxter has always made smart signings. It's going to be a few seasons before we're really pushing for top honours again but there's no reason that, in time, we can't get back to those top honours.

Looks like McGuigan and Radwan heading your way to replace Nowell and LCD

Doing the rounds up the toon.
Ironically those are the two positions we can replace our star player's leaving....

Well Mcguigan is a great replacement for LCD, physical carrying and great all round 2 without the drawback of being away with England. Prob give him a 3 year deal.

Radwan will do great we just need to create him some space.

If LCD is out then McGuigan will prob be in with a new coach
Maybe but maybe not he's 29 and has zero international experience, with George not dropping off it's more likely to be a young guy like Blamire who will likely be first choice at Falcons.

Not every coach builds for 4 years, some will look for the first 2 years then maybe phase out for the RWC (like Eddie first did)

If McGuigan is starting for Exeter he has a big chance of playing for England with a new coach. Not like we have many alternative hookers with experience.

Latest posts