expanding super 14 to a top 6 finals series

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by redunderthebed, Mar 24, 2008.

1. I totally agree it should be expanded to a top 6 system and maybe a top 8 system with two more teams added.This would give teams that are up and coming more incentive to do well and make things fairer and a longer finals series of course the union might bitch but i think that can be sorted.

discuss

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Hamster

Hamster Guest

I agree, top 4 system doesn't give much opportunity for teams and the current finals system is too short. The gap in the middle is too big and doesnt give much of those teams something to aim for.

All personal tirades to be directed straight at the persons involved via PM or e-mail. Please don't clog up forums with it.

4. candybum

candybum Guest

It doesn't sound too bad i suppose. Longer final series could generate a lot more revenue as well.

Whats up with these Australians and their ideas of expanding the super 14? lol wasn't there a proposal type just a couple weeks ago (is this the same proposal?)? Was it because their recent new tournament was a load a crop?

I guess it will sort of give the tournament a fresh sort of look/feel about it. I think it's still great how it is though

Poor brumbies finishing 5th and 6th hehe

5. ChiefsFan

ChiefsFan Guest

Six team finals is good, but I hate hat other crap they've proposed. It's blatantly a money maker for Oz. They wouldn't be proposing it if their Provincial comp was still running. ANY expansion should have Argentina in it. Japan and the PI should be in aswell.

6. candybum

candybum Guest

Yup those tricky Australians. I'd go as far as perhaps even having a American team!

7. Wellycane

Wellycane Guest

I agree. I'd go with a top six any days or a top eight would be even better. It will be more challenging for the teams and exciting for the fans.

I think this will happen.

8. Fushitsusha

Fushitsusha Guest

I agree.

As a Brumbies fan (and I'm sure Chiefs fans feel the same) it was so dissapointing last year that due to a lack of bonus points they couldn't make the finals, especially when they'd won more games than some of the teams in the finals... plus with the form they were in they could've beaten anybody...

However, the only problem with this is geography... it couldn't work if a team had to travel from New Zealand to South Africa one week, then play a semi in New Zealand, and then a final in South Africa...

9. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

+1 for final 6

when i was young, AFL had a final 4, then expanded to a final 5, then 6 then a final 8 all within about 10 years. there are 16 teams in the AFL

seeing as there are 14 teams, a final 6 sounds perfect or maybe even a final 7 ie. top half of the comp play finals

10. BLR

BLR Guest

You Kiwi's are the ones with the agreement with the Yanks, so you are the ones likely to do such a thing to raise some funds for yourself ;)

As for the 6 team final series, why reward mediocrity? The AFL was used as an example....why would we EVER want to be like that god-forsaken game?

11. candybum

candybum Guest

You Kiwi's are the ones with the agreement with the Yanks, so you are the ones likely to do such a thing to raise some funds for yourself ;)
    [/b][/quote]

Of course we need the cash, so we could pay our players millions of dollars so they'll stay in the country! lol

But aren't these proposals most beneficial to australia? not in a financial P.O.V. I got this from the media :p

12. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

i don't even read that deeply into it... expand the final 4 to a final 6 simply to allow more opportunity for teams to take out the title

13. woosaah

woosaah Guest

I agree with expanding it to a top 6, but if they are going to keep the 14 teams then i would say leave it at 6. If they expand with more teams, maybe give it to the top 8 say like the NRL.

if they go with having 22 rounds (which is going to be like the NRL in itself) i think the top 6 should be plenty fine as we will be all rugbied out by the end of the comp anyway.

14. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

NRL just copies AFL... even though i think AFL sux, i reckon NRL sux more for copying them :p

for those that feel anger after reading what i wrote... suck it... it's true :)

15. BLR

BLR Guest

If your stupid enough to play League over Union I wouldn't be surprised :p

16. Because it gives teams chances it makes the finals series more exciting.AFL might be **** in your opinion but we dont have the same lot of teams making the finals every year because we have the top 8.If we have more teams we might start having some diversity in whom wins the s14 if you look at it only 4 teams in its history have won it and two of them have won over half between them.

17. BLR

BLR Guest

Shouldn't teams concentrate on getting better overall instead of managing a fluke win against a team who has played better consistantly over the season? The reason so few teams have won the title is because they simply aren't good enough....pick up your game and you'll be in the finals, simple as that....

18. Dmx#1

Dmx#1 Guest

Even though it would increase the canes of making the playoffs, I think it would be stupid if a average team managed to fluke their way to winning the Super 14. I think they should just leave it alone.

19. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

At this rate, why not just ditch the round robin league and make it a straight knockout tournament... <_<

That said, the Aussies always whinge to change things in rugby when they're not good enout to get by under the current system.

*coughelvscough*

20. mimic

mimic Guest

Leave it alone.

Boohoo you won 9 out of 13 and didn't make the semis. Maybe you should be more exciting in scoring more tries, rather than making the last few weeks exciting by getting into the top 6.

Final four is fine. The top 4 deserve to be there. It's usually the top teams who make it there anyway.

No need to expand the finals. It's bad enough we start the Super14 in summer ffs.

21. melon

melon Guest

The original rule changes were actually devised in South Africa I believe. This was under the name Stellenbosch.

What else have we apparently changed, exclusively of course just like the ELVs, to suit ourselves? :)

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!