• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) in 2008 Investec Super 14

B

bubu31180

Spectators and fans will witness a quicker and more exciting brand of rugby in 2008, following a decision by the South African, New Zealand and Australian Rugby Unions (SANZAR) to adopt a range of the Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) for the 2008 Super 14 competition.

The variations adopted by SANZAR for the 2008 Super 14 relate to the Laws governing:

• Posts and flags around the field
• Inside the 22 metre line
• Lineout
• Breakdown (tackle/post tackle)
• Scrum
• Sanctions

The primary aim of the ELVs is to keep the ball in play longer, with fewer stoppages and more running rugby, thereby creating a more free-flowing, faster and exciting style of play.

The ELVs also make the game simpler to understand, for players and spectators alike.

Developed at Stellenbosch University in South Africa, the ELVs have already been successfully trialled in the Stellenbosch Hostel League, New Zealand’s provincial Men’s B competition, Australian Rugby Championship, Sydney and Brisbane club competitions and the UK.

The following ELVs are to be applied in the 2008 Super 14:

Posts and flags around the field
1. Posts and flags around the field (ARC variation)
a. Corner posts will be positioned at the outside junction of the goal line and the touch line.

i. If a player is in possession of the ball and touches a corner post he will not be in touch unless he touches

the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline.

ii. If the ball is not being carried by a player and it touches the corner post the ball will be deemed to be touch in goal.

Inside the 22 metre line

2. When a defending player receives the ball outside the 22 metre line and passes, puts or takes the ball back inside the 22, the following can occur.
a. If the ball is then kicked directly into touch, the lineout is in line with where the ball was kicked.

b. If a tackle, ruck or maul is subsequently formed and the ball is then kicked directly into touch, the lineout is where the ball

crossed the touch line.

Lineout
3. On a quick throw in, the ball can be thrown straight or backwards towards the defenders goal line, but not forward towards the opposition goal line.

Breakdown (tackle/post tackle)
4. Players entering the breakdown area must do so through the gate.
5. Immediately the tackle occurs there are offside lines.
6. The half back should not be touched unless he has his hands on the ball.

Scrum
7. The offside line for players who are not in the scrum and who are not the teams scrum half, is 5 metres behind the hindmost foot of the scrum.

Sanctions
8. For all offences other than offside, not entering through the gate, and Law 10-Foul Play, the sanction is a Free Kick.

rugby.com

not that there was anything wrong with rugby, but people in aus definately view it as slow and boring..

if this can attract some more support then great.

im glad they didnt bring in the hands in the breakdown, or collapse maul rule that was used in the arc

I think that free kicks being used more often can speed up the game, or slow down the game even more.

A team could decide to scrum instead of tapping it quickly. With a scrum you can start from a stable base again and again. Quick taps are a bit tricker as you are not as organised.

It depends how teams wanna approach this really. I wouldn't be surprised if the weaker or less mobile teams employ this tactic

Has anyone watched a match with these in play? In the US, we don't get to see any of the warmup matches.

Has anyone watched a match with these in play? In the US, we don't get to see any of the warmup matches. [/b]
Watched the ARC with them in place which was pretty interesting. Made for more of a spectical I thought.

I've played several games with these new laws and I can tell you now that many forwards will want to break the traditional mould because instead of stopping for a scrum, you will now tap the ball and keep running a lot of the time!

I've played several games with these new laws and I can tell you now that many forwards will want to break the traditional mould because instead of stopping for a scrum, you will now tap the ball and keep running a lot of the time!
[/b]
That'll change in the Super 14, expect the Saffas to stop for the scrum much of the time....and just wait till the Poms get a hold of them :p

Sorry if this has been said somewhere else, but if the super 14 is gonna be played under the ELV, what rules would the tests between the s14 and trinations be played under? and the trinations for that matter?

Sorry if this has been said somewhere else, but if the super 14 is gonna be played under the ELV, what rules would the tests between the s14 and trinations be played under? and the trinations for that matter?
[/b]
Old Laws against NH teams, Tri Nations under ELV's

Thanx BLR, but it seems silly to switch back and forth diagonal and diagonal

So fellas what's the verdict so far?

The first round of games for the S14 have come and gone, and I'm still waiting for this new and improved rugby we've been promised. Quite a few teams didn't get into double figures.
Kicking took main stage in all the games. Possibly redefining tactical (read tacky) kicking.
There was alot of running as well, but it was like eating soup with a folk. Alot of action but you're left feeling curiously unsatisfied.

It's still early days though. Teams are still getting used to it, as was the case in AUS.

i saw about 2 matches with these new laws...the game speed is really improved,now the plays must be athletic and fit in order to follow the ball.
the result isn't spectacular as we wondered, but it is less boring and more enjoyable...quite a nice result imo

Blah. Don't f___ with the sport. It was fine before the Elves came in.
22444%20elves.jpg

Stupid wankers should stick to making toys, not new laws for rugby.

So far there has been precisely no running rugby and loads of kicking from one fullback to the other. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

One week in. For goodness sake give it some time. It strikes me as minds already made up from some.

Anyone who thinks rugby was perfect in regards to rules prior to this, or thinks rule changes sort themselves out one week into a comp is living in a dream world.

I've watched 4 of the Round 1 games so far and I reckon these 'variations' will take some getting used to by both the players and the spectators. I'm undecided at the moment but give it a few more rounds and we'll see how things settle down.

One week in. For goodness sake give it some time. It strikes me as minds already made up from some.

Anyone who thinks rugby was perfect in regards to laws prior to this, or thinks laws changes sort themselves out one week into a comp is living in a dream world. [/b]

Thanks for the post editing. I fail to see the point though, or how that alters mine.

Well i guess i liked the fact that in two games (the Blues Vs chiefs and i think the Sharks Vs Force?) there was infringement at the ruck where usually it would of resulted in a penalty and the awarded team opting for the 'shot at goal,' instead the 'free kick' rule made/allowed them to tap and run resulting in triiiiies.

Thanks for the post editing. I fail to see the point though, or how that alters mine. [/b]

They're known as Laws old bean. Must maintain the standards, you know.

I think based on week 1 the laws have made for too much negative kicking just like most other members have said. I cant see what was wrong with super 14 last year. I watched 4 games on sky and they were all pretty boring. Sometimes things that are not broken shouldnt be mesed about with. I will be wtching the next round with interest.

Latest posts