Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
BAN THOSE SCRUMS!!

Rugby scrums should be banned in schools to protect children involved in a sport which is "not safe enough" for them, an expert has warned.
Professor Allyson Pollock, director of Edinburgh University's Centre for International Public Health Policy, called for the ban after research into child injuries.
The study was carried out during 190 rugby matches at five schools.
There were 37 injuries recorded, with 20 taken to accident and emergency.
The tackle was the "commonest phase of play causing injury" with the head and face the most injured body part, along with sprains or ligament damage.
Prof Pollock, one of the study's authors, said: "High tackles and scrums should be banned. The sport is not safe enough for schoolchildren and not enough is being done to protect the safety of children.
"We know that most injuries occur in tackles and the scrum so there have got to be much greater safety measures in these areas."
She said moderating play may change rugby, but it was better to have a safe game than a dangerous one.
"Concussion is under-reported because it's not being monitored properly. Repeated concussions may have severe long-term consequences," the professor added, warning that teachers and coaches have a duty of care towards children.
"If youngsters were coming back from school trips with these rates of injuries it would be enough to trigger a major inquiry."
In the 193 matches played by 470 children in Scotland between January to April last year, the injury incidence during the match play was 10.8 injuries per 1,000 player hours.
Out of 37 rugby injuries amongst the youngsters, 29 were sustained by children aged between 14 and 17 and eight in the 11 to 13 age group.
Injury surveillance A spinal injury was admitted overnight in hospital and the 19 other injuries seen at accident and emergency were discharged without admission.
Eight of the injuries resulted in time off school. Five of those injured were off school for one day, one was off for three days, one for five days and the spinal injury caused the youngster to be "off school long-term", the research said.
The study, to be published in the Journal of Public Health, also said a rugby injury surveillance system in Scottish schools should be "strongly encouraged".
The Scottish government helped to fund the research.
A government spokeswoman said: "We initiated preliminary work around this study and we will now look closely at the findings of the research.
"While the Scottish government is fully supportive of school rugby, it's very important we have accurate data about injuries sustained on the pitch to ensure that young people are not being exposed to disproportionate risks."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10501327.stm

Must be that time of year again...

Oh for gods sake. Just go back to your knitting love, you have no idea what the hell you're prattling on about.

what a pile of rubish also this study seems to point out quite a low injury rate aswell! 10.8 injurys per 1000 playing hours is nothing and over half f the injurys where discharged before admission so they shouldnt be counted really
so really what this study shows is nothing the sport is fine and quite safe if played properly good work so called expert bet you dont play rugby would explain some of the stupidy in your comment!!

prof pollock more like prof ********

sorry bout double post but i cant find the edit button!

OK, so ban the follwowing

Sport (injury rate per 1000 hrs) *source

Ice Hockey (17.6) *3
Snowboarding (16) *2
Squash (14) *1
Jogging (11) *1
Aerobic Dancing (11) *1
American Football (36) *3
Gaelic Football (22) *2
Hurling (31) *2
Lacrosse (30) *1
Basketball (14)*1
Gymnastics - Men (16.5) - Women (18.5) *3
Soccer (20.2) *3
Greco-Roman Wrestling (29.7) *3 - this is the Olympic style not WWF :D

I have only two other things to say regarding this idiot woman doctor

Pollock is a pillock
Pollock's talking ********

Source material
*1 The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 21 (3), pages 461-467, 1993).
*2 The British Medical Journal, various volumes
*3 The American College of Sports Medicine's publication "Primary Care Sports Medicine"

As if football (soccer) has a higher injury rate than ice hockey!

Don't forget it's techically and injury in soccer if their £1000 haircut gets messed up.

As if football (soccer) has a higher injury rate than ice hockey!

There are probably some very logical reasons why, even though Ice Hockey is a much rougher sport, Soccer players get more injuries......

This is a likely one......

seattleyellow-1.jpg
hockey-equipment1.jpg

I would imagine that Ice Hockey players would suffer a lot less cuts and/or abrasions than Soccer players, but probably more muscle injuries and sprains

Since when has a tiny little cut or a bruise been considered an injury?*

*In the real world.

Since when has a tiny little cut or a bruise been considered an injury?*

*In the real world.

Judging by the number of Soccer players I see rolling around on the ground in agony, it must be a pretty dangerous sport :rolleyes:

I dunno, school scrums can be pretty dangerous. Especially when the coaches at state schools often haven't played rugby before and have no idea how to coach it. When I played rugby at school and one of the front row was injured for most teams the coaches biggest solution was to put the biggest lad in (often with no scrumming experience) - and in other schools people were being put in the starting front 3 with no front row experience. It is something that needs regulating because mismatching causes injuries to both parties - I can't count the number of times I've engaged and an inexperienced 1 has gone straight down having no idea how to take the pressure. I don't think we should ban the game - but for someone to coach a school rugby club they should have to go on a proper course.

Surely that's part of being a qualified "Physical Education" teacher?

Damn you smartcookie, I was going to make a football joke...I had it written out and everything before I read your post.

The problem is, you always have some concerned person out there, who does not only want their kid not to participate in the game, so will ruin it for everyone else. I have got hurt in a scrum, I'm sure I will get hurt again, but never have I received an injury from a scrum and thought "I wish that wasn't in the game". The scrum gives the fat kids in the school some worth. If your kid doesn't want to get hurt in a game, he can play a non contact sport like golf or tennis.

Also, if you ban scrums in schools, when kids are fairly young, what will happen is you will finally get to a grade in which scrums are allowed, and no one will know what to do, which will lead to the danger of poor form in a pack with 700kgs being pushed to the ground, as apposed to learning ealy with 150kgs falling down on you. If England put these rules into practice, the quality of future props will decrease and will not be able to content to the same level. It's a stupid idea to ban scrums, and considering this "expert" doesn't know that high tackles are already banned, I can't see her having any genuine insight to the sport.

I think the WRU have got this correct in Wales.

In school games they follow the same set of rules as they do in WRU age group games.

There was a max level of pushing allowed in the scrum varied from 2m - 5m. Also the engagement had to be closer than usual to stop hard hits on the engagement.

Nice to see hurling up there as second most dangerous. Manball I call it.

This professor comes across as a bit of a wench. Tis a good thing he didn't watch last year's second Lions test.

For Ice Hockey Injury, just google Clint Malarchuk

WARNING- SQUEAMISH PEOPLE DON'T BOTHER

Latest posts