Falcons swoop for Munster half fly Manning

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Newcastle Falcons have announced the signing of Munster fly half Jeremy Manning.<!-- {/abstract} -->
The 24-year-old has made 50 apearances for the Munstermen, with the New Zealand-born playmaker qualifying for Ireland on residency grounds. Falcons head coach Alan Tait welcomed the capture of Manning on a one-year deal, saying: "He's a quality player.
"Jeremy has been in a fantastic environment over in Munster for the past five seasons, learning from the greats like Ronan O'Gara.
"He's featured for them in the Magners League and Heineken Cup, and also played for them against the New Zealand All Blacks when they only lost out by two points to a late try right at the end. He played in four of their European games when they won the Heineken Cup back in 2006 and was on the bench for the final, he made six appearances when they won the Magners League ***le back in 2009 and he knows what it's all about at the top level.
"He kicks goals, runs the back line well and he will definitely provide plenty of competition for the likes of Jimmy Gopperth and Tom Catterick here."
With Catterick set to go under the knife shortly, Tait added: "Tom is having an operation on his shoulder which means he will miss the start of the season, and we would have egg on our faces if we did not look to protect ourselves in that department.
"We put the feelers out and were inundated with fly halves from all over the world, from the Championship, Premiership, Celtic League and everywhere you can possibly think of. After a lot of hard work and research Jeremy emerged right at the top of that list, and from there it was actually pretty seamless getting him on board because he really wants to be at this club.
"He's at a good age, he wants a new challenge after five years at Munster and he recognises that Newcastle Falcons is a place where he can continue to progress his career."
In addition to his six appearances for Munster in the Magners League last season Manning also helped the province to the final of the British and Irish Cup, as well as steering Cork Constitution to a league and cup double in Irish domestic action.
An Ireland Students cap, Manning is also a former New Zealand Schools international, having represented his homeland back in 2003.
He becomes Alan Tait's tenth signing of the summer since taking over as Falcons head coach, following the previously-announced arrivals of Ally Hogg (Edinburgh), Glen Townson (Doncaster), James Hall (Coventry), Luke Eves (Bristol), Luke Fielden (Bedford), James Fitzpatrick (Blaydon), Joe Graham (Tynedale), Mark Wilson (Blaydon) and Paul Moriarty (assistant coach).
JEREMY MANNING FACTFILE
Position: Fly half
Born: 11/9/85
Height: 5ft 10
Weight: 13 stone
Honours: Ireland Students, New Zealand Schools
http://www.guinnesspremiership.com/news/13767.php

He's a hugely over-rated player by Munster fans; just because he made his debut quite young, it doesn't make him a good player. Manning is injury prone and can't get a backline moving. What he can do is put his team in good field position and kick goals. As a backup for a middling side like Newcastle he should do okay.

Gotta disagree snoop Manning is an excellent player but well he won't ever realize his full potential as history shows he's always injured but if he somehow stays fit this could be a super signing for falcons

I think he is an good player too, just ridiculously injury prone.

An injury prone fly-half at Newcastle... Well I never...

Gotta disagree snoop Manning is an excellent player but well he won't ever realize his full potential as history shows he's always injured but if he somehow stays fit this could be a super signing for falcons
When has he ever shown in a big game that he's capable of strong performances? Please don't say the B&I Cup or in the AIL. He's been consistently average in the Magners League and whenever called off the bench in the Heineken Cup.

Snoop I agree he hasn't shown it and I basing it on seen him alot in training as well as matches. But my point being he has potential and in my opinion would be similar to Sexton except he has never had a long run at getting a spot because he's injury prone and it has stopped him being as good as international class players on a consistent basis

Wow. Training, yep that's where a good player makes his mark. Manning has neverimpressed me. Not once hashe stood out in a game for something really positive. The Andy Dunne of Munster.

He is a talented player, agile, fast, good kicker, good passer, and good boot. Perfect 12 if he was a bit bigger, not really a 10. He has never impressed in the HEC fair enough, but then again he is ALWAYS injured.

He is a talented player, agile, fast, good kicker, good passer, and good boot.
If he had all of these attributes, he wouldn't have been let go by Munster and he certainly would have had a better option than a 1 year deal at Newcastle.

Snoop I agree he hasn't shown it and I basing it on seen him alot in training as well as matches. But my point being he has potential and in my opinion would be similar to Sexton except he has never had a long run at getting a spot because he's injury prone and it has stopped him being as good as international class players on a consistent basis
So you agree he hasn't played well enough for Munster and is injury prone. Whey then is it so hard to accept that he's not a good player? He's found his level at Newcastle in that he'll be an average backup for a very average team. To suggest that he's ever shown anything like having potential to be an international is ludicrous.

In 5 years with Munster, Manning has 21 starts, just 5 sub appearances in the Heineken Cup and no tries. He has 4 starts in the last three seasons. In 5 years with Leinster, Sexton has 40 starts including 8 in the Heineken Cup (5 more off the bench) and 6 tries for his province. He's earned 6 international caps and kicked Ireland to victory against the world champions. 38 of his starts for Leinster have been in the last three season. There's no comparison between the two players - Sexton will earn 50 caps for his country while Manning will be a journeyman player for shite teams.

Well as you said Munstet released him because he lives on the treatment table and Newcastle gave him 1 year because they don't want to be tied down to injured player.
Also Manning has so little appearances because of injury and match fitness.
I know now he will never make international scene but I really think he can be a star player for Falcons if he stays fit and plays a long string of games

We'll see. A year from now we should come back to this thread and see who's right. My money's on Manning starting a couple of LV= Cup games and failing to do anything of note in the Premiership.

My money is on him being injured for most of the season. I would bet he would make an impact in the GP if he does get a good injury free run in the team, but then again so did Jermey Staunton this year.

We'll see. A year from now we should come back to this thread and see who's right. My money's on Manning starting a couple of LV= Cup games and failing to do anything of note in the Premiership.

If Manning is injury free I can assure you he'll perform but well if he stays injury free that'll be achievement in itself, as MunsterMan said just look at likes of Staunton who has done well and in my opinion Manning is much better.

as MunsterMan said just look at likes of Staunton who has done well
Done well and played frequently are too different things. Staunton has played a lot for Leicester and carved out a nice career for himself but their backline is stunted whenever he plays. A lot of Leicester fans were angry that they chose to keep Staunton and let Sam Vesty leave.

Well I just think that maybe Manning will deliver on his class if he can stay fit and have a run of games to gain confidence.

Yep. Still kicking the ball at every oppertunity too.

Like a junior Jonny Wilkinson, so he is.

Yep. Still kicking the ball at every oppertunity too.

Like a junior Jonny Wilkinson, so he is.

Thats not how he plays naturally. He has probably been told to do that, he used to be an awesome counterattacking fullback in his late teens/early 20s.
He was a fan of running the ball from his goalline when he played for the canes too.

Latest posts