Fantasy Rugby Draft 2015 - Super Rugby

Ray Mond

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Crusaders RU
First post on TRF.

Apologies for the shameless plug but I know a number of members have enquired about the possibility of a draft style fantasy competition for Super Rugby.

Check out Fantasy Rugby Draft. We've had great fun doing the mock drafts in testing.

The current first round goes as follows:

Quade Cooper
Beauden Barrett
Aaron Cruden
Israel Folau
Tom Taylor
Charles Piutau
Patrick Lambie
Ben Smith
Johan Goosen
Gareth Anscombe

First post on TRF.

Apologies for the shameless plug but I know a number of members have enquired about the possibility of a draft style fantasy competition for Super Rugby.

Check out Fantasy Rugby Draft. We've had great fun doing the mock drafts in testing.

The current first round goes as follows:

Quade Cooper
Beauden Barrett
Aaron Cruden
Israel Folau
Tom Taylor
Charles Piutau
Patrick Lambie
Ben Smith
Johan Goosen
Gareth Anscombe

http://fantasyrugbydraft.com/

That the one you're talking about?

Its based on the NFL draft model, yes.

Very difficult to do in the forum, we would have to coordinate all participants with a day and time to make the draft. Several live in different parts of the world, there's forum members living in NZ, others living in Europe, USA, Canada and other others like me who live in South America. Too many times, too complicated. IMO but the idea is good, difficult to put into practice but it sounds cool.

Cheers

This is true. It is difficult, but not impossible.

We've set up a public league creatively called 'THE RUGBY FORUM' and set the draft date time as 8pm GMT on the 1st of Feb.

If you can't make the draft, the site auto-drafts you a team anyway based on preseason rankings.

10 managers to a league so first in first served.

Of course you can always join any of the public leagues or set one up yourself with mates.

Israel Folau was the #1 overall draft pick today in one of the leagues ahead of any fly half. Can he repeat?

I'll give it a crack - could be interesting.

I'm in ...I enjoy the fantasy tournaments, but I find that most of the teams end up with the same players towards the end ... the draft will eliminate this

... Only 8 places left

Last edited:
I'm in as well (assuming I make the cut).

I'm also a bit irritated by the fact that teams generally look pretty similar from halfway on.

EDIT: for interest sake; what does a 'snake' sequence look like? I am assuming something like if I am 1st in round 1 then it'll go; 1st, 10th, 2nd, 9th, 3rd, 8th... and then repeat?

There's still spaces free in the league. Its first in first served so register and join up and you're in.

A snake draft, very simply, means that the person with the last pick in round one has the first pick in round two and so on.

So in your example of having the first pick in the draft, it means you have the 1st pick, the 20th pick, the 21st pick, the 40th pick etc (in a 10 team league).

Sometimes it pays to have what they call the 'swing picks' at 10 and 11.

This is very new to me and tried to to read up on it, look very interesting

What is the bottom line here, should you, when it is your turn try and pick someone (that will do well) that very few others will have and stick with known players in positions that others already chose?

Some tips would be appreicated
Thanks

There are only 10 teams in your league and you play head to head against someone in your league each week.

The key difference is that only one person in your league can own/draft Willie le Roux, for example, so if you want him in your team you need to draft him when its your turn to pick before anybody else does.

In the How to Play section on the site there is a link to a YouTube clip of a sample draft that should make it a bit more clearer (we hope!).

My only tip for beginners is that for your first couple of picks you should be fairly conservative. Stick with non-injury prone, proven points scorers like Cooper, Cruden, Lambie etc. The later rounds of the draft are about drafting players that you think will explode this year that perhaps may not be a household name e.g. Anscombe last year was a steal in the late rounds.

Enjoy!

okay thanks, think I got it

Brok Harris is my fly half pick or I quit!

I think you should be relatively safe there ;-)

As an aside, if you do miss out on him at the draft you can always try and trade for him during the season with the manager who owns him.

There are only 10 teams in your league and you play head to head against someone in your league each week.

The key difference is that only one person in your league can own/draft Willie le Roux, for example, so if you want him in your team you need to draft him when its your turn to pick before anybody else does.

In the How to Play section on the site there is a link to a YouTube clip of a sample draft that should make it a bit more clearer (we hope!).

My only tip for beginners is that for your first couple of picks you should be fairly conservative. Stick with non-injury prone, proven points scorers like Cooper, Cruden, Lambie etc. The later rounds of the draft are about drafting players that you think will explode this year that perhaps may not be a household name e.g. Anscombe last year was a steal in the late rounds.

Enjoy!

In my opinion this is one of the keys to fantasy drafts. I find that new players tend to try and be too clever and 'over-reach' for players they want - there is no point picking a player in the 1st round when you can almost certainly get them in the 7th!

Latest posts