Favorite Pundit.

theonlychubbychild

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Favorite Rugby pundit.

Who would be considered the best/most entertaining pundit covering the World Cup?

In my opinion I would have to say that Sean Fitzpatrick would be my favored pundit on terms of making fair points and being non bias.
However, George Hook from RTE would take the biscuit for most entertaining. Hilariously unhappy!

Sean Fitzpatrick has been pretty good, which is surprising because he's normally a massive tool

Alan Quinlan and Francois Pienaar for me

Best - Will Greenwood, Stuart Barnes (but not on England matches), Brian Moore (used to be awful but has improved), Dean Ryan, the commentator from Sky who is at this World Cup and is not Harrison, the Everest window presenter guy (better than Ryder)

I would have put Francois Pienaar there too until he tried to justify John Smit being picked ahead of Bismarck

Not covering the world cup, but my personal favourite is Ieuan Evans. I've been really enjoying his commentary during the Heineken Cup the last couple of seasons.

Best - Will Greenwood, Stuart Barnes (but not on England matches), Brian Moore (used to be awful but has improved), Dean Ryan, the commentator from Sky who is at this World Cup and is not Harrison, the Everest window presenter guy (better than Ryder)

I would have put Francois Pienaar there too until he tried to justify John Smit being picked ahead of Bismarck

Nobody from Sky is there. ITV work with ESPN, you're thinking of Nick Mullins.

Matt Williams on Setanta Ireland is my favourite, he's not negative like a lot of the Irish ones and he really knows his rugby and makes great points.

Nick Mullins is the best commentator there for ITV. The other Evans brother is a decent pundit too actually.

Nick Mullins is the best commentator there for ITV. The other Evans brother is a decent pundit too actually.

Sorry Tom Evans is dull and wooden and completley out of his depth talking rugby with the likes of Sean and Francois.Alfie is ok but the blue velvet suit jacket and cravat only enforce stereo types. Dayglo only wants to talk about Wasps players (Haskells biggest fan since he found out he was coming back) Dempsey is ok but the irish bloke who used to do the travel show will always be someone who would probably rather doing football but got stuck with rugby.

Matt Williams on Setanta Ireland is my favourite, he's not negative like a lot of the Irish ones and he really knows his rugby and makes great points.

Setanta Ireland's coverage seems quite awkward. Williams doesn't know if he should be the host or the analyst.

Only George Hook could make Morcombe and Wise be unfunny.

In my neck of the woods, former Canadian internationals Gareth Rees and Brian Spanton are pretty damn good. They're complemented well by former BBC host, Nigel Reed.

Overall though, you have to love Brian Moore.

They've kicked it away again! For god's sake!

Conor O'Shea is great imagine if he could finish a sentence!

Matt Williams is good but find "Franno" quiet boring and a bit thick sometimes.

I have to say Pienaar revealed an unexpected gift for comedy when he said, with a brilliant straight face:-

"I used to be in the centre but moved into the back row because the difference for me between a jog and a flat out sprint was a mere facial expression"

I have to say Pienaar revealed an unexpected gift for comedy when he said, with a brilliant straight face:-

"I used to be in the centre but moved into the back row because the difference for me between a jog and a flat out sprint was a mere facial expression"

Mate that cracked me up. I have got to say I am caught between Brian Moore, Pienaar and Fitzpatrick.

Both the books by Moore and Pienaar are a good read if your interested in that sort of thing.

Last edited:
I have to say the commentary on the SA side from SuperSport is uninspiring. Even watched a couple on SABC hoping for a change but the coverage lacked personality even more. T_T

Last edited:
Mate that cracked me up. I have got to say I am caught between Brian Moore, Pienaar and Fitzpatrick.

Both the books by Moore and Pienaar are a good read if your interested in that sort of thing.

Have to say Moore is a bit of a hero of mine (alongside messrs Pullin and Wheeler)( one for the teenagers there) for obvious reasons (not forgetting FitzP), but I'm not sure I can take a book as harrowing as by all reports his is.