Favorite second team

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by bates, Sep 6, 2008.

1. bates

bates Guest

To continue the topic that interfered the Tri Nations topic: AUS - NZ.

I was just wondering what your second favorite team is.

At number 1 for me are the AB’s, why. the first rugby game I ever saw were the AB against I reckon England and when they did the Haka I was sold.
    After living in NZ , seeing most of the test matches they played, I became more and more into their game etc...

To go back to the topic: I follow most rugby games to be honest and I have respect for most teams even as a very strong AB fan I also cheer for the Boks when they are playing. But maybe that's because I'm from a non- rugby country.

To add my 2 cents on the remark made in the TN topic about people cheering for the AB because they win so many games and the brilliant commercials/advertisements.

In Europe you have a lot of people wearing soccer shirts of Barcelona, Madrid, Man U, Chelsea,... or youngsta's acting gangster wearing NBA shirts but when you ask them to run 5 meter they almost die owing to too much smoking, skanking, drinking. That's a lit bit the same.

According to me it's never bad to have one or more very popular teams to give the sport more media attention, creating the opportunity for outsiders to get introduced with the sport. Off course I completely understand that when you come from a country with a team that isn't that popular as NZ or SA you might have a slightly different opinion.

So what is your contribution to this topic?

Cheers.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

There's nothing wrong with liking two teams; it makes things more interesting.

1. Wales
    2. France

I hate all the rest equally. :p

4. nam97

nam97 Guest

New Zealand aside, Scotland is my team. Can't turn a blind eye on my heritage.

Don't care much for the rest, but I do have a great deal of respect for every team.

5. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Ireland.
    They have great heart and even greater potential. Would really like to them win a 6N, eventhough O'Gara performed the worst piece of cheating I've ever seen.
    They also performed the best out of any NH team in the June Tests.

6. Dmx#1

Dmx#1 Guest

My second favorite team are the All Blacks, the first being Samoa.

7. New Zealand is my second favorite international team that I support, Ireland being #1.

8. bates

bates Guest

Thnx for the feedback on the topic.

Yesterday in the pub I had a discussion about this topic with a mate of mine. the conclusion was ( he did his internship in SA and is a huge Boks and Sharks fan) that when you go to the SH SA and NZ have a bigger rugby impact than AUS, I visited Sydney and Brisbane and there is a huge difference with e.g Auckland.

So that might alos be a reason why most people support SA ( Current world champions) and NZ ( win the most of their games).

9. jawmalawm24

jawmalawm24 Guest

The only teams I support are the All Blacks, Nz Maori, Wellngton Lions and Wellington Hurricanes to the point that I saw the Auckland squad at St Lukes shopping mall ages ago and I did the old psstt yeah whatever lol. Some of them looked at me like I was gonna ask them for their autograph but I just stayed muggin.

I think it's more of a tribal thing for me it's like I'm from Wellyz you from Aucks so we no mix. I know it's stupid but that's how much I rep Wellyz I just can't bring myself to like other teams.

10. bates

bates Guest

yeah I know what you mean, I'm a huge Chief, Waikato fan cause I used to live their.

I also support the Crusaders cause I really like their game and some of their players.
    But when they clash it's Chief time

11. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

I'm gonna say after the Springboks (obviously), I would support England against any other team. But it varies as well. I always support any team who play against Australia as well. I don't know why, but seeing Australia lose is one of the greatest pleasures i can get out of rugby...

12. bates

bates Guest

Well, I like AUs seeing play a game, I don't care if they win or loss.

13. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Sep 8 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    That's because you are not South African! :rolleyes:

14. bates

bates Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 8 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    That's because you are not South African! :rolleyes:
    [/b][/quote]

Obvisously, but as an AB fan I don't have any problem with SA winning or losing either ( although it depends on how they play)

15. All Blacks
    Crusaders
    Canterbury
    HSOB

16. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

I obviously support Ireland first and foremost and after that I just generally cheer for the underdog (Italy, Argentina, etc.) (Unless it's England :p )

17. Air4life

Air4life Guest

Argentina for sure! I like the irish too

18. toxicfiend

toxicfiend Guest

Canada being the first for obvious reasons, i would have to go with england it's where my dads from so i gotta do it. Oh and anyone who's playing the french

19. alexrugby

alexrugby Guest

Hardly to say as the list is big
    1 ABs
    2 RSA
    3 Ausses
    4 England
    5 Wales
    6 Ireland

20. South Africa, as a Scotland fan you need to watch a team that wins atleast more often than not. The All Blacks are great to watch, so yea, either really.

21. nam97

nam97 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MLegg @ Sep 8 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    HSOB.... not bad. At least you're not another Christchurch fan haha, can't stand Christchurch.

Burnside is the best though....

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!