• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite accent

I also use to like listening to my islander mates talking english because it'll be broken as like instead of 'hey kuz should we go to the park to have some fun' they would say something like 'hey gus should we ko to da bark and have a fun' or something like 'oh man f u ko pack do ta islands man you will have a gracking up' instead of ' if you went back to the islands man you'll crack up'.

I use to like listening to my asian mates accent too because they'd speak english so fast it almost sounded like they were speaking madarin, cantinese etc. all over again lol.

Hey I'm a dutchie ! (well technically I'm french) but in the sense that my first language is Afrikaans.
I just hope you realise the "can like to spoke english" accent is about as made up as the "top o de monin" Irish accent.

Sure there are some people who completely rape English, but have you ever heard a English South african try to speak Afrikaans ?
:p

I really like Irish and Scottish accents, I really love those gaelic languages.

Lol Yeah that audio skit is like the most extreme case, like a South African hill billy.
But like you say Boggle, you find most Afrikaners can speak English better than most English can speak Afrikaans. Probably because you just HAVE to know how to speak English in SA, it's pretty vital. English speakers can carry on quite comfortably without knowing much Afrikaans. Maybe that's why so many Afrikaners are abusive towards English speakers?

Any chance we can record our voices when speaking our own accent and put it online?

Would be sweet ass :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 18 2008, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol Yeah that audio skit is like the most extreme case, like a South African hill billy.
But like you say Boggle, you find most Afrikaners can speak English better than most English can speak Afrikaans. Probably because you just HAVE to know how to speak English in SA, it's pretty vital. English speakers can carry on quite comfortably without knowing much Afrikaans. Maybe that's why so many Afrikaners are abusive towards English speakers?[/b]

Big up for telling it like it is, some Afrikaners have a horrible English accent but some English people can hardly speak Afrikaans and when they do they sound like a moffie. :p

Haha see what I mean about Afrikaners being abusive? If they can't speak English properly we just laugh but if you can't speak Afrikaans you're accused of being gay (moffie). Big up for telling it like it is as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 18 2008, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But like you say Boggle, you find most Afrikaners can speak English better than most English can speak Afrikaans. Probably because you just HAVE to know how to speak English English speakers can carry on quite comfortably without knowing any foreign language in SA, it's pretty vital.. Maybe that's why so many Afrikaners are abusive towards English speakers?[/b]

That's pretty much the case in the whole world. We have to speak english but how many of native english speakers speak a foreign language ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 18 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's pretty much the case in the whole world. We have to speak english but how many of native english speakers speak a foreign language ?[/b]
Stop being so bitter the English kicked your ass and took all the good countries as their own. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BLR @ Sep 18 2008, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 18 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's pretty much the case in the whole world. We have to speak english but how many of native english speakers speak a foreign language ?[/b]
Stop being so bitter the English kicked your ass and took all the good countries as their own. :p
[/b][/quote]

I'm not bitter bro, I speak 4 languages, I can be understood in pretty much any part of the world. I don't expect people to speak french when I go abroad whereas it is often the case for english native speakers...

Always fun to see Americans panicking in Japan when they realise that almost nobody speaks english.

You know what 's even more funnier? :D

English people going abroad and when people don't seem to understand them they just start speaking up untill they are screaming :D

I speak: Dutch, French, English, German, spanish, a bit of Japanese and Korean, a bit of Polish, I'm going to start with Russian, some
Arabe, some things in Maori ( altho I really need to refresh this when I'm going back to NZ)

Just love studying languages.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Sep 18 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Any chance we can record our voices when speaking our own accent and put it online?

Would be sweet ass :D[/b]

go to youtube and type in kingswood country

that's what i sound like :)

You know, being english schooled i can vouch there isn't much opportunity in most schools to seriously learn other major languages. As a country, we are isolated, ignorant and naive with regarded to how we interact and communicate with foreigners. We are not part of the continent, i don't feel 'european' and am not made enough to feel so.

The classic example of english speakers ignorance is when you first assume a foreigner cannot speak it, although you have not tried to ask him. Then you talk to them like they are mentally handicapped. Then, even when they reply in a fair standard of english, you still speak to them as if they can't process words unless they are said in slow-motion.

I made an effort to learn all the languages i can. I know a fair amount of useful turkish and samoan, as i have needed them. Also some french, but only to a poor GCSE level. I think even though i'm not fluent by any means, you should make an effort to learn basic phrases. I find it's just ignorant to assume someone will want to talk to you in english, just because you can't make an effort to speak to them in their native tongue.

I was on a train the other day, sitting ahead of two people who spoke in cultured english accents. The woman was about forty, with a velvet voice (like Zoe Wannamaker) and moaning about how her "mummy" keeps making her feel stupid. Her partner was a veeery grey, thin old man in a cheap pinstripe suit who kept saying, "Cheer up, my dear". Unusual to hear them amongst the estuary accents.

Then she got suspicious: "Quelq'un ecoute notre ..."

He didn't know what she was saying and replied in a daft senile way, "Les lapins sautent dans le champange."

"No, no!" she said. "Quelqu'un ecoute notre conversation."

A few minutes later I got up for my stop and said Au revoir - she glared at me. I would have taken her there and then, but she was just a little bit too ugly.

Latest posts