• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite back line move

My personal to play with is First receiver gets the ball , 13 runs a line inwards fixing 13 and 12 but is merely a screen 12 drifts into the line behind and outside him. Currently playing as a winger it's a beautiful move to either get it wide fast with space or to hit the line hard as a trail off 12.

My personal to play with is First receiver gets the ball , 13 runs a line inwards fixing 13 and 12 but is merely a screen 12 drifts into the line behind and outside him. Currently playing as a winger it's a beautiful move to either get it wide fast with space or to hit the line hard as a trail off 12.

Yeah we do that move and also the opposite with the 12 drifting wide, then the 13 comes in and gets a short pop from the 10. Unders and Overs.

Yeah we do that move and also the opposite with the 12 drifting wide, then the 13 comes in and gets a short pop from the 10. Unders and Overs.
Aye that's a tasty little number too, have you tried it with the fullback horsing through the middle taking a late pass?

Kinda liked this one. Short and sweet
Russouw_zps6012ed69.gif

and this one
habana_zpsa5cbeca1.gif

Last edited:
Kinda liked this one. Short and sweet

habana_zpsa5cbeca1.gif

We use this quite a bit , find it difficult to get a clean break off it further up the park , but as used in the gif I love it 5m out put the head down and keep the legs moving.

Not really about the tackling though. What it's doing is creating space. The person being passed to can break if defenders look past him expecting the loop, 10 can break if defenders look to the outside or it's passed with an overlap possibly being created. Another variation is to have someone outside the player receiving the ball so that when he goes to pass behind to 10 he actually passes to a hard runeer ala D'arcy's try vs Wasps which I can't find. It looks limited but you'd be surprised how often it works and teams know it's coming.
vlcsnap-2013-05-02-03h02m32s13_zps57515180.png

Great piece of illegal bocking there mate

We use this quite a bit , find it difficult to get a clean break off it further up the park , but as used in the gif I love it 5m out put the head down and keep the legs moving.
I bet you guys did not have Fourie du Preez there who had a beautiful flat pass as well as putting guys into gaps.
fourie_zpsabf749c0.gif

Here is running a decoy, This was the try before the one above. He put Habana and JP Pietersen through vs the Lions in 2nd test as well

Crossfield kicks!I absolutely bloody love crossfield kicks!
This could be your only post on the whole forum, and you'd still get from it that you like league. :p

Lesley Vainikolo was the master at receiving crossfields. It's a shame he didn't come to union earlier in his career - union fans will never see him the same way league fans do.

Easy one for me. I frigging adore anything that involves numerous dummy runners. The one that comes to mind is New Zealand's try vs Australia off the back of a scrum last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tpp0FNXiXk#t=26m35s

Where do you even start? Read's pass is well-timed, Dan Carter's running at the backline is scary good, Dagg's off-the-ball movement round the back couldn't be timed better (look at where he starts, right behind Carter in the middle!), Gear tying up the last defender with a dummy run giving Dagg the space, but the best of it was SBW's insane dummy run from outside-to-inside of Carter, pulling Genia out of the drift (watch the replay), which in turn pulls Faingaa onto Carter. To top it off, the step by Dagg... you then rewatch the clip to see the effect that the move had on each of the Australian defenders.

Then I remember that England play Goode and I want to cry.

Aye that's a tasty little number too, have you tried it with the fullback horsing through the middle taking a late pass?

That move is sensational. As the fullback you either go under the posts untouched or get cut in half. I scored a bundle of tries with that one, the key was starting from outside the 13 and running an arc so you end up hitting the line more or less straight. You really need a 10 who can throw the blind pass in front of the 13 well.

I played for a team once where we only had one 'strike' backline move, but it had 4 variations. So each time everyone was in the same positions and nobody knew who was getting it until the pass was delivered. It was 10/12 cut (or dummy), blindside winger inside the 10 if the cut was dummied, 13 on the short ball if the winger was dummied, and 15 behind the 13 if the 13 was dummied. It was pretty sweet as we only had to learn the timing for one set and it used to bamboozle teams as we just did the same thing over and over again.

Easy one for me. I frigging adore anything that involves numerous dummy runners. The one that comes to mind is New Zealand's try vs Australia off the back of a scrum last year:

The ACT Brumbies in like 1997 were real pioneers of those sorts of moves. David Knox and Gregan were amazing at picking the right person to feed. They had runners all over the place but it was almost too advanced for what people were used to seeing that they didn't really know if it was legal or not.

Something like this.

<iframe height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7fWfeEbZMrk" frameBorder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

More often passed out after. Expect to see plenty of it this summer especially with the no look return from BO'D.

That is so much better when the passer throws it the other way, sort of blind over his shoulder. A lot of Carlos Spencer wannabes in NZ used to do that with the simple cut. Check out the Brumbies do it to my poor Hurricanes in 1997:

Last edited by a moderator:
That move is sensational. As the fullback you either go under the posts untouched or get cut in half. I scored a bundle of tries with that one, the key was starting from outside the 13 and running an arc so you end up hitting the line more or less straight. You really need a 10 who can throw the blind pass in front of the 13 well.

I played for a team once where we only had one 'strike' backline move, but it had 4 variations. So each time everyone was in the same positions and nobody knew who was getting it until the pass was delivered. It was 10/12 cut (or dummy), blindside winger inside the 10 if the cut was dummied, 13 on the short ball if the winger was dummied, and 15 behind the 13 if the 13 was dummied. It was pretty sweet as we only had to learn the timing for one set and it used to bamboozle teams as we just did the same thing over and over again.

So much win in this post.

We use the same moves

Xoxox

vlcsnap-2013-05-02-03h02m32s13_zps57515180.png

Great piece of illegal bocking there mate

Yeah I know it was mentioned after I posted and even the commentator noticed. Loads of successful moves will have some blocking it's a big part of the modern game.

That is so much better when the passer throws it the other way, sort of blind over his shoulder. A lot of Carlos Spencer wannabes in NZ used to do that with the simple cut. Check out the Brumbies do it to my poor Hurricanes in 1997:

Yeah I know what you mean it is often done like that particualary with BO'D running a hard line and putting it out the backdoor. The D'arcy try I can't find is a great twist on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts